Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:53 AM

7 posts, read 47,844 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I are considering moving from California to Iowa with our three small children. There are a few main areas of concern: How are the schools? Are there sports activities for children (soccer, little league, dance, etc.) The area we are looking at is Manson. I would appreciate any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 10:00 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,398,249 times
Are you mistaken? The only "Manson" on my map is pop. 1800 and near nothing. What would you possibly be moving here for? eh....

I would imagine the schools are SAFE, but probably not the best since its so small, i doubt your children would fit in a rural farm community. I'm sure there are sports, but there are actually small schools in iowa that don't even offer soccer, and I doubt theres many options for dance in "manson." I would reccomend any other area of iowa to you because i have friends here from california who love it... but why manson??? don't go to manson

Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,238,049 times
I don't know, I knew a dude from Manson who was a hell of a country dancer. At a work Christmas party he was there doing all these crazy moves like throwing his partner up in the air and then swinging her around.

So I guess if you're into country dancing, you might have a shot in Manson.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:11 PM

296 posts, read 1,279,120 times
NotJenny -- Where are you coming from in California. Why Iowa and why Manson? If you tell us more, we'll better be able to give you the info you need.

I'm trying to think of a California town in the middle of nowhere that is really small and not having much luck. Barstow is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but a lot bigger than Manson.

If you're coming here to live on a farm and have a rural lifestyle, and chose Manson because you have family in the area, this might be a great choice. However, your questions about children's activities worries me a bit. The types of activities you list are ones that, in Iowa, are not generally school-related. School-related activities are pretty easy, even in really small towns, because they make buses available for everything. I grew up in a town of 1200 and did EVERYTHING -- sports, drama, music, you name it -- and my Mom never had to drive me anywhere, which was good because she had to raise us alone after my Dad died and she had to work and wasn't around to ferry children about. But if I had wanted to take dance lessons or play tennis or soccer or some non-school sport, there would have been serious driving involved, and we lived pretty close to Des Moines. I'm sure you'd at least have to go to Fort Dodge for options like those. And probably also for options like extensive grocery choices, any sort of clothes shopping, books and music, restaurants, movies, plays...

I grew up in a town the size of Manson and loved it. And we moved there from California when I was in 3rd grade, and if I had trouble fitting in, it wasn't because I was from California :-)

But, unless you're coming from a small town or have lived in one before, I really think you ought to visit before you start serious consideration. And then there is the weather difference -- try to visit in February if you can, just to get the idea <g>

I love Iowa, can't say enough good about it, but what you're proposing sounds like it has the potential for serious culture shock. Be careful!

Old 12-01-2007, 03:30 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,398,249 times
manson was the location of the biggest crater in the united states before the ice age, but it got covered over with soil, they proved it just thought i'd add that because its the only cool thing i can think of about manson.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:20 PM

7 posts, read 47,844 times
Default Thank You.

Your replies have been helpful. My husband is looking for work, and one opportunity came up in Manson. Right now we live in a small town in CA, pretty much in the middle of nowhere. There's not much to do, except for sports. Sports are HUGE here. We homeschool our kids, so we rely on the sports for socialization. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a very good fit. I grew up in Los Angeles, and I lhate LA. I love small town life, but maybe Manson would be too much of a change. Thank you, again.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:37 AM

4 posts, read 12,522 times
Default Info For NotJenny

I was born and raised in the Fort Dodge area,left there in 1973.My dream of moving to California came true in 1982.I first lived in Solana Beach,then Santee,Point Loma and finally in Mira Mesa,CA.I loved everything about California and had no intentions on leaving,but remarried and moved to PA.My family still lives in the Ft. Dodge area.It's a pretty town and I know things have changed alot since I was there.The small towns around Fort Dodge were nice.The only problem I would see in moving to areas such as these,since you're coming from CA,would definitly be a culture shock.The school systems in Iowa have been known to be some of the best academically.As the one person said,most of the extracurricular activities in school,use buses to transport the kids.From what my family has said,the North side of Fort Dodge is a good area.Going out Hwy 20 towards Rockwell City was pretty nice,and built up since I was there last.Manson was ok,but if you like the convenience of stores and the such being close,you should probably stay around Ft.Dodge,Rockwell City,Webster City,Humbolt or farther south around the Des Moines or Ames area.If you homeschool your children,please check the laws in Iowa.I'm sure you probably have,but so many places don't allow it.We have quite a few people here in PA that homeschool.If I had my choice I'd go back to CA,but I know things have changed there too since I left.We're checking on places to move also.I lived 9 years in the Omaha NE area.That's a pretty nice place also.It's bigger than Fort Dodge,but you have your rural area also.Good Luck in where ever you decide works best for you and your family!!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:50 AM

884 posts, read 1,023,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjenny View Post
Your replies have been helpful. My husband is looking for work, and one opportunity came up in Manson. Right now we live in a small town in CA, pretty much in the middle of nowhere. There's not much to do, except for sports. Sports are HUGE here. We homeschool our kids, so we rely on the sports for socialization. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a very good fit. I grew up in Los Angeles, and I lhate LA. I love small town life, but maybe Manson would be too much of a change. Thank you, again.
What kind of work is he looking for?

Old 12-04-2007, 06:44 PM

534 posts, read 1,590,348 times
We moved to Cedar Rapids 3 years ago from Milwaukee. Never heard of Manson, but we hate it here. It is so boring. We moved for a job promotion. Never in a million years would I move to Iowa from California. I'm dying to get back to civilization. This city is **** poor as well.

Don't expect your kids to ever be in school in winter. I don't know about Manson, but here they just shut down the outer areas for a little ice. They don't believe in plows at all. Here's an example. Milwaukee had 3 inches of snow Saturday and they had 102 plows out and the roads were drivable all day and night. Here in a bigger city of Iowa, we were trapped because they claim it's a waste of time and money to come out before the storm ends. Then the country roads weren't plowed and 2 days later, there are still closings and school delays. I have never seen a city shut down so fast in my life. You would never get a day off in Milwaukee that's for sure.

Good luck with your move, but if I had to do it all over again, no way would I leave home to come to anywhere in Iowa..

Old 12-08-2007, 07:47 AM

39 posts, read 166,788 times
Manson may not be the best place if you are looking for good schools and youth sports although I think Ft. Dodge might be close enough to drive for dance, etc. You may want to consider an area outside of DSM or Cedar Rapids or Iowa City as these cities all have great youth soccer programs, dance, gymnastics, great schools. Sadly true rural Iowa, for the most part, is becoming a rural ghetto like in many other states. Statistically there is little difference between far outlying small towns and inner cities other than race. Those left behind are typically not college educated, often unemployed, poor and now with the meth epidemic, addicted. There are always exceptions to any rule but a drive through many small towns is very similar to driving through inner cities in terms of housing and business opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa