U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,302,723 times

Advertisements

Since your are out of state you should consider hiring an attorney if you want to fight the ticket. He/She can try to negotiate a plea with the prosecutor. Due to the speed and points, I would recommend this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,542,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Since your are out of state you should consider hiring an attorney if you want to fight the ticket. He/She can try to negotiate a plea with the prosecutor. Due to the speed and points, I would recommend this route.
But if the only motivation the OP has for fighting the ticket it to keep insurance costs down, won't the expense of hiring an attorney eat up any potential savings? I can't believe this would be a financial winner in the end.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,762 times
Spoke to couple lawyers.
Here are the responses from Lawyers

Lawyer 1
Instead of hiring a lawyer It is likely cheaper and wiser to pay the ticket. I do not believe that you can realistically win a dismissal.

Lawyer 2

Cerro Gordo County has a policy whereby they do not negotiate on the amount of speed or the level of the offense.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM

25 posts, read 32,108 times
I can give you the LEO input. You sped. You were nailed by a trooper and radar. You can try to contest and go to court and request a trial by jury. Then you'll need a lawyer unless you want to attempt to represent yourself. If, at this trial, assuming you've appeared for PTC and PTH, the LEO who ticketed you fails to show ( they will show BTW ) then potentially you could win by default. Even that's not a given. The judge could ask for a continuance. This is a lot of time and travel and money for you! Now add in lawyer fees and when you inevitably lose, court costs.
Pay the ticket. Insurance shouldn't be that much of a financial jump. If it is, shop around for a better carrier.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse456456 View Post
Hi, I am from Missouri. I was driving to Minneapolis last week. It was a 7 hour drive.
I was maintaining a speed limit from 70 to 75. I had curse on the car. and I was close to 140 miles to reach my destination.

To be on safe side i turned off the cruse and in the next 10 minutes or so I got pulled over by a cop.

The cop told me that i was speeding at 85 in a 70 zone. After i got the cruse off i might be have escalated accidentally.

I already drove 280 miles from Missouri to IOWA mason City and was not stopped. I tried to explain the officer i have a clean record. Its purely my mistake. I will be more careful from now on. the cop didn't listen and just gave me a speeding ticket for 85 mph in
Cerro Gordo County .

The cop showed me the radar gun in his car 85 mph. It was purely mistake on my driving. I been driving for past 5 years, in many states and never did speeding . This is purely my mistake . i was not paying attention.

I really need help to get this ticket off my record. I don't want hike in my insurance. I am ready to pay double fine.

I heard that realistically not possible to get the ticket dismissed in this court Cerro Gordo County Court.

Any inputs are highly appreciated

You are better off to pay the fine and move on. Iowa is notorious for not negotiating to a lesser charge or non moving violation.
I don't know for sure about the county you were in but I do know Johnson and Muscatine county do not negotiate or plea down.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 AM

LEO's get tickets and even arrested for criminal activity, the same as anyone else. That myth needs to stop. The Blue Line people cite refers to something other than overlooking criminal misconduct.
As far as the trooper speeding up to catch a speeder - that is their job. It is in fact the reason they are out patrolling.
You mention safety A trooper can safely navigate at those speeds. There's extensive training involved. A civilian? There's your potential danger. When LEO sees someone at that rate of speed, to protect other drivers it is necessary to intervene. Is the driver careless? A criminal on the run? Drunk? High? Did the driver see the trooper and now is trying to escape apprehension because they have warrants?
You should do a ride-along if given the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
OP, I would enroll in an accredited state defensive driving program at least you would have something positive to say to the judge and he may be more lenient on you should you choose to appear. Even if you just pay the fine, the course may still help some reference a possible insurance hike.

Troopers are ticket writing machines, it's better to just be polite and say nothing. The only ones they will give a break to is another LEO. With gas as expensive as it is, try and keep your foot off the gas, think about how much extra fuel you are using and how much time it's really saving you. Apparently you had your seat belt on, they love that one.

I wonder how much extra fuel the cop wasted trying to catch up to you. Also there is a danger to other motorists as he zipped by others trying to catch up to you without emergency equipment on. If it's really about safety and not about revenue, they could position cardboard cops around in cars to slow traffic down. But we all know it's about generating revenue first and foremost.

Good luck with the ticket.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:51 PM

152 posts, read 171,774 times
If you were going 85 mph on the Interstate, you deserve to get a speeding ticket. And you deserve to pay it, and pay the longer-lasting consequences. Hopefully it makes a better driver out of you. That's why the system is in place as it is.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:49 AM

7,129 posts, read 5,942,160 times
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with going 85 on the interstate coming from a state, South Dakota, where it's done on a fairly regular basis by people and cops don't really do much until you start hitting 90+... but hey when in Rome OP.. just pay the fine and get on with your life. I guess it would depend on where you were doing 85... flat rural area of the state with low traffic density or in downtown Des Moines? In any case the speed limit is 70 on the interstate in IA so there's not much defense. I applaude you and other speeders though because without you guys we'd all be stuck doing 55 on the interstate yet with even more self righteous posters defending their decision to go the speed limit in the passing lane, shaking their fists at the speeders for how evil they are.

I personally believe MN and IA should raise the speed limits on their rural interstates to 75 and rural divided highways to 70.

Last edited by stockwiz; 03-09-2014 at 07:58 AM..

Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 PM

Self righteous posters? Ever seen a child splattered on the road due to a speeder losing control and causing a devastating accident? Ever been first on scene in an acpi where speeds are near that 90 mph mark and people and items within the vehicle become projectiles? Ever had to notify victim's families? Held a mother in your arms shrieking like a wild animal as her dead daughter is removed from the scene? I can guarantee no, you never have. Speed limits aren't in place to spoil anyone's fun. They are there to protect loss of limb or life. The irony is the speeder is often unscathed but those who try to avoid them get injured or killed. Truly the insult to injury.
Please don't oversimplify or negate the opinions of people who believe speeding limits should be obeyed as self righteous posters. Perhaps some have been in accidents due to speeders. Maybe their own speeding is to blame and they know the regret. Perhaps some have lost loved ones in accidents.
Then there are those of us that have seen the violently horrific injuries , heard the screams, and dealt with the horror of what can happen and those sights and sounds are never forgotten.

Last edited by PrairieHawkMom; 03-09-2014 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: typos etc.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:31 PM

16,464 posts, read 19,996,430 times
If you had been driving I-15 to Salt Lake City, you probably wouldn't have gotten a ticket, as they raised the speed limit on a good part of that stretch to 80MPH, as I drove that stretch last July at around 87MPH, just to be on the safe side!

If your insurance company gives you any slack, as insurance companies are in bed with the police, threaten to find a new carrier!

My heartfelt sympathies to you!

Last edited by tijlover; 03-09-2014 at 10:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa