U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 PM

152 posts, read 171,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciaFreeman View Post
I am African American as well, relocated back in 2010 from Michigan. I haven't had any issues at all......not to familiar with Ankeny.
This is wonderful to hear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,303,885 times
Ankeny is a VERY conservative suburb, probably more conservative than many Southern suburbs, so there may be a time or two when you feel a little uncomfortable. It's a nice enough community - it's clean and well-kept - but the diversity and open-mindedness will probably leave you a little something to be desired. Consider renting an apartment in Des Moines proper - it's more diverse and more happening than Ankeny, and simply commute to class (it's a short commute, 30 minutes, tops). And most people there probably couldn't care less about what you look like or where you come from - you're there for an education first and foremost. As long as you stick to you what you said (be quiet and respectful, not go looking for trouble, etc) I'm sure you'll be A-OK, in fact, you'll probably make a few friends.

DMACC is a respectable community college for sure, but you may find yourself having a little bit of difficulty getting those credits to transfer to the U of M. Generally speaking, transferring to a four year school that's in-state is the best way to go. Just a little something to think about. Minnesota is a fine school, every bit as good as Iowa and ISU, and offers an urban lifestyle that can't be found at either major Iowa school.

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck. The Midwest is a bit different than what you are used to, but keep thinking positive and you'll do great.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:08 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,705,458 times
Hey Mr.Bluboi,

Iowa certainly has a deserved reputation for racism, but in my experience it seems far less intense in Des Moines. If you're used to dealing with a large amount of racism, it may feel very mild. However, it still makes me angry that people have to deal with any racism at all. I wouldn't risk the smaller cities in Iowa, but in Des Moines it will be less. You'll find there is a strong correlation between larger cities and less racism. Des Moines is the only part of Iowa large enough to have this impact. Note that the correlation is not perfect, so there may be some large cities where racism happens and some small towns where it hardly happens, but in general, you'll find far less racism when you live in areas with over 500,000 people. If you want any recommendations, send me a PM.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,813,857 times
It depends who you hang out with. If you hang out with thugs/dress like a thug/speak or act like a thug, then you will be treated like a lower form of life, regardless of your color. I don't know anybody who treats the white wannabe gangsters with any more respect than a wannabe gangster from any other racial background.

I grew up in a very, very conservative part of the state, rural and far from diverse. In our area, you basically hung out with people from the 5 closest towns around your hometown. Out of all the towns surrounding mine, I think there may have been 3 black kids, a couple kids of Asian decent, and a bigger minority of Latinos, but still a small minority. Most of those kids were in the "popular kids" clique. A couple weren't... but they fancied themselves to be gangsters and had undesirable appearance and mannerisms. Those kids hung out with the white kids that had the same level of appearance and mannerisms. Don't get me wrong, there were racist white kids in the popular group, but they had far less friends than the black kids in the area.

It could be argued on to what level it is superficial or not, but growing up in Iowa I noticed that socially racism is heavily shunned even in the rural areas. Even more so in the younger generations. You get into the Des Moines metro area, and any lingering sense of racism seems to melt away rather quickly, lucky for Iowa, it seems that most Iowans truly judge other people by their character and not the color of their skin.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 PM

152 posts, read 250,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Hey Mr.Bluboi,

Iowa certainly has a deserved reputation for racism, but in my experience it seems far less intense in Des Moines. If you're used to dealing with a large amount of racism, it may feel very mild. However, it still makes me angry that people have to deal with any racism at all. I wouldn't risk the smaller cities in Iowa, but in Des Moines it will be less. You'll find there is a strong correlation between larger cities and less racism. Des Moines is the only part of Iowa large enough to have this impact. Note that the correlation is not perfect, so there may be some large cities where racism happens and some small towns where it hardly happens, but in general, you'll find far less racism when you live in areas with over 500,000 people. If you want any recommendations, send me a PM.
So you are saying that racism is prevalent in Iowa. I don't know your personal experience, but this is an unfair generalization about Iowa, and well rural areas. Rural areas are by nature more isolated and close-knit, so there is a certain amount of distrust of outsiders. Some of this may be racially motivated, but I think it is more of a trust issue, than an issue of racism. Racism exists everywhere. It is wrong, and things have improved greatly, but it will never totally go away. Racism may be easier to spot in rural areas, but that's because people know more about each other. Not because it is more common,or is common.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,813,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman29 View Post
So you are saying that racism is prevalent in Iowa. I don't know your personal experience, but this is an unfair generalization about Iowa, and well rural areas. Rural areas are by nature more isolated and close-knit, so there is a certain amount of distrust of outsiders. Some of this may be racially motivated, but I think it is more of a trust issue, than an issue of racism. Racism exists everywhere. It is wrong, and things have improved greatly, but it will never totally go away. Racism may be easier to spot in rural areas, but that's because people know more about each other. Not because it is more common,or is common.
As I said in my post above, I grew up in a rural area in a town of just over 1000 people... racism was still rare there.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:52 PM

3,168 posts, read 3,034,803 times
Good points there by both Xander & rayman. I've lived in four states & grew up in Iowa but I'll admit that I found that racism claim you've discussed here to be a head-scratcher until I did a bit of detective work.
FYI: You can select an option to view all of the posts from a given member & that can be both interesting & enlightening. Doing such may shed some perspective on the motivations as to why a member may post & say certain things. You might put 2 and 2 together & discover that they appear to have an agenda at work on the forum. If you figure it out or want to discuss this, feel free to DM me.
And as Elletea once noted, you can choose to select the ignore function which will block out posts from a given member.
The only downside of that is that you do not know when something outrageous has been said by them that needs to be debunked, discussed or reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa