U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,201 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

I will be moving from NY City to Arthur in next couple of weeks. I'm looking to get some information about the following :

1- I was considering Ida Grove and Storm Lake City as the possible relocation location. I was wondering which area would be better as for as location, family life, grocery shopping, access to restaurants and other day to day necessities? Also which would be more safe?

2- Which mobile service works best and is cheaper there?

3- As Arthur has extreme weather, so which car most of the people drive and works best in that environment and is easy to get maintenance/repairs if required?

4- As Arthur has extreme cold that last around six months, do people wear any special kind of clothing there e.g. (specific brands for that cold)?what are some of the things you would recommend to bring ( type of coat, shoes type etc).

5- Are the people there welcoming about the new person?

I really appreciate about any feedback on those concerns.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 PM

4,789 posts, read 6,582,281 times
I can't help you, I've never heard of Arthur, Iowa.

But judging by where it is on google maps, the extreme cold lasts for about 6-8 weeks maybe. Add another 6 weeks of regular type cold.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:23 PM

1,650 posts, read 2,608,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc005 View Post
Dear All,

I will be moving from NY City to Arthur in next couple of weeks. I'm looking to get some information about the following :

1- I was considering Ida Grove and Storm Lake City as the possible relocation location. I was wondering which area would be better as for as location, family life, grocery shopping, access to restaurants and other day to day necessities? Also which would be more safe?

2- Which mobile service works best and is cheaper there?

3- As Arthur has extreme weather, so which car most of the people drive and works best in that environment and is easy to get maintenance/repairs if required?

4- As Arthur has extreme cold that last around six months, do people wear any special kind of clothing there e.g. (specific brands for that cold)?what are some of the things you would recommend to bring ( type of coat, shoes type etc).

5- Are the people there welcoming about the new person?

I really appreciate about any feedback on those concerns.
1) Storm Lake is much bigger than Ida Grove so naturally there is going to be more shopping, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. But I've also heard negative things about crime in Storm Lake, which may not necessarily be true anymore because it's been a while since I was last there. It is a very racially diverse town (by Iowa standards) with a large Hispanic population (36%). There are a couple large meatpacking operations in town. Ida Grove has less to do, but it is a quieter small town that is likely very safe. Interesting fact: there was a guy who grew up in Ida Grove, became a millionaire building marine equipment, and invested a lot of money in the town over the years. He located his company's corporate HQ and assembly plant in Ida Grove, and he also had an interest in English castles so all over Ida Grove you will see homes and businesses designed to look like castles.

2) I have Verizon and have never had problems with reception in western Iowa.

3) I wouldn't say the weather is any more extreme than New York--in fact, we probably get less snow due to the drier air. You're mostly going to find domestic trucks and cars since it is a rural area. Ford, GM, and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles are the most prevalent in rural Iowa since most small towns are limited to those three for dealerships.

4) Again, I don't know that I'd call the weather very extreme, nor lasting for 6 months. This year has been unusually cold, but typically there are only a dozen or so subzero days per year, with the rest of the winter being in the 10's, 20's and 30's. Winter only lasts about 4 months. Iowans don't wear anything special for winter... just your typical winter coat, hat, gloves, boots, etc. But you should keep a blanket and winter emergency kit in your trunk in case your vehicle would break down on the highway.

5) Depends how small of a town you live in and how much effort you make to try to meet people. Iowans by nature, especially in rural areas, can be more on the introverted side. Newcomers sometimes mistake this trait for hostility or unacceptance. Iowans can also be very friendly once you get to know them. They are a hardworking, "live and let live" bunch.

Very small towns can be a little clique, but typically when newcomers have problems it's because they either aren't very friendly themselves or come in with an "I'm better than you" kind of attitude. In larger communities like Storm Lake, you'll be more anonymous so the cliquiness is less of an issue. Bigger cities like Des Moines and Cedar Rapids have so many out-of-state transplants and diversity that meeting people is much easier.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:30 AM

152 posts, read 201,331 times
This has to be a joke, or a con of some sort. Arthur Iowa is a town of 200 people, and nobody from New York City would have any reason to move there - unless you married a farmer you met online.

If this isn't a joke, know this: Prepare for EXTREME culture shock.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:40 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,592,219 times
That's about the most remote part of Iowa really, the eastern part is much more densely populated with smaller as well as larger cities.

The town has as many people as a smaller apartment building in Manhattan. It's going to be MUCH colder and extreme in winter than what you typically get in NYC.

Why are you moving? Need way more information, as people from NYC don't just pick up and move to a tiny farming community in the middle of nowhere where most people are going to be older and all born and raised in that town or county.

Not knocking the town at all, just saying something seems amiss. I assume you must be moving for family? Are you retiring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa