U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 16,524,951 times

Advertisements

I'd agree that Omaha belongs on the list. It's the go-to city for west-central Iowa. Minneapolis, KC and particularly Chicago are all quite a drive even from the closest Iowa border, but Omaha is just across the river. It doesn't have any major teams, but it has plenty to draw people. Iowans may favor Minneapolis, Chicago or KC pro sports teams, but most don't attend those games. Omaha does have three major TV stations and other media outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:08 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,544,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'd agree that Omaha belongs on the list. It's the go-to city for west-central Iowa. Minneapolis, KC and particularly Chicago are all quite a drive even from the closest Iowa border, but Omaha is just across the river. It doesn't have any major teams, but it has plenty to draw people. Iowans may favor Minneapolis, Chicago or KC pro sports teams, but most don't attend those games. Omaha does have three major TV stations and other media outlets.
I would say Omaha is an "anchor city" for southwestern Iowa due to proximity, but certainly not "west-central".

Old 03-26-2014, 04:50 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,761,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I would say Omaha is an "anchor city" for southwestern Iowa due to proximity, but certainly not "west-central".

Where is the anchor for west-central Iowa then? Des Moines which is 120 miles away, Omaha-CB which is anywhere from 30-60 miles away or Sioux City which is 30-60 miles away? Logically, the answer would be Omaha (for most) given the combination of distance, sheer size comparison and offerings.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,761,752 times
And if you say Sioux City, then the whole premise of this thread is gone.. Having SE Iowa with St Louis would be wrong, north central Iowa to Minneapolis would be wrong etc

Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,758,210 times
Do (especially West) Iowans have any special connection with Denver, Colorado?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:48 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,629,177 times
Not that I am aware of. That drive is deadly no matter how close you are to the Nebraska border.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:03 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,639,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
St. Louis probably comes in last due to the lack of a dedicated interstate connecting the city to Iowa.
I would agree with the first half of your statement. I've lived in or near the extreme southeast corner of Iowa most of my life and have never seen much of a St. Louis influence at all beyond Cardinal baseball. People in this area are more likely to take a weekend trip to Chicago, KC, Omaha, or M-SP than St. Louis.

I disagree that the second part of your statement is the reason, though.

Route 61/27 Avenue of the Saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Do (especially West) Iowans have any special connection with Denver, Colorado?
The other day I sat down to supper at a restaurant in Southeast Iowa with a couple who owns a livery stable in Estes Park, a woman who lives in Iowa but is originally from the Fort Collins area, and a gentleman who owns property in Glen Haven. This was a completey random meeting, it's not like they called each other up and said "Hey, since we all have Colorado connections let's get together!" And this is just one example of many.

So while I don't know that Denver really fits your definition of an "anchor city" as it really doesn't hold much influence with regard to media, sports teams, etc., I do think that many Iowans do feel some connection to Colorado (not necessarily Denver itself). Not sure why this is, but it may be because the Front Range of the Rockies is the closest place Iowans can go where the topography, climate, etc. is significantly different than what's in their own back yards.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,544,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Where is the anchor for west-central Iowa then? Des Moines which is 120 miles away, Omaha-CB which is anywhere from 30-60 miles away or Sioux City which is 30-60 miles away? Logically, the answer would be Omaha (for most) given the combination of distance, sheer size comparison and offerings.
I think our definations of west central are differing. I meant it to be western edges of what one would consider the central region of Iowa. Probably my bad on that one.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:49 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,629,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So while I don't know that Denver really fits your definition of an "anchor city" as it really doesn't hold much influence with regard to media, sports teams, etc., I do think that many Iowans do feel some connection to Colorado (not necessarily Denver itself). Not sure why this is, but it may be because the Front Range of the Rockies is the closest place Iowans can go where the topography, climate, etc. is significantly different than what's in their own back yards.
The Driftless, the North Shore, Door County, and the Ozarks are all a lot closer than the Front Range. I honestly don't see much special connection between Iowa and Colorado beyond the fact that Colorado is an attractive vacation spot, which is true in most of the country.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 AM

8,677 posts, read 8,861,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I would agree with the first half of your statement. I've lived in or near the extreme southeast corner of Iowa most of my life and have never seen much of a St. Louis influence at all beyond Cardinal baseball. People in this area are more likely to take a weekend trip to Chicago, KC, Omaha, or M-SP than St. Louis.
When I lived in Burlington we went to St Louis a LOT. I've been tothe top of the arch many times, even with a girl scout trip. We would go to Six Flags at least every other year or so, and other random trips there just to shop or whatever. It was so close and an easy drive down 218. We went to Chicago much less and only KC once, it was much farther. Omaha? Nope. It was 6 hours away. St Louis was what? 2? No brainer.

Lots of time spent in Hannibal, too. Those are some great memories. I love that cave tour and have been there many, many times as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or