U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,060,901 times

Advertisements

SAD is seasonal affective disorder, which is influenced by change in seasons. For most people, it occurs in the winter months, but can also happen with the summer season.

Seasonal affective disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seasons:
--Fall is beautiful with trees turning beautiful different colors. There is just a different feeling in the air ... so crisp.
--Spring is like a rebirth with blooming trees/flowers ... everything is so green again and refreshing after a cold/leafless winter.
--Summer: Though it gets humid (not consistently), summer is just plain fun ... vacations, biking, boating, camping, cookouts, fire flies, etc.
--Then there's winter: A white Christmas is special, sledding, snowmen/snow forts, cross country skiiing/downhill, sitting by the fireplace with hot chocolate or liquor in warm pj's (lol). After January is the hard part for me until March or April when it starts to warm up again and the snow melts.

I just enjoy the anticipation of each season ... breaks up the year and something different to look forward to.

We moved to Cedar Rapids, which is in the eastern part of Iowa. For us, the job was in CR, so that's why we ended up here. It's a nice smaller city but doesn't have all the amenities that Des Moines offers. If I had a choice, I definitely would look at Des Moines and some of the smaller towns in that area. I really like it there. When my kids were young, we spent a lot of time traveling to Des Moines for state competitions, etc. Des Moines has progressed a lot over the past 20 years.

Last edited by ennaf; 03-21-2014 at 07:30 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 08:44 AM

8,682 posts, read 8,869,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMacaroni View Post
What part of Iowa did you move to? And what is SAD?

Yeah winters would be fun, we have to drive about 3 hours north to find snow for the kids to play in here. And what are these things you call, seasons?
Driving to play in the snow and living with it day after day for months are two entirely different things.

I find that people who are not from areas that gets snow have much more romantic ideas of the stuff than those who know the tiresome chore of dealing with it day after day. It doesn't stay white and pure long. Soon it is just dirty piles of blackend yuck from cars and plows. It creates serious driving issues, not only the obvious slippery stuff, but when it freezes under the snow, the roads become horrible rut-infested things that are murder on your car. Scraping snow, ice, and sleet from the windsheild loses its novelty after the first time, trust me. As does shovelling.

Winter is not all about hot chocolate and building snowmen and making snow angels and catching snowflakes on your tongue. Snow in Flagstaff is also not the same as snow in Iowa. Its often much colder in Iowa, or at least feels that way, due to the damp cold and high winds.

Seasons are overrated I LOVED wearing flip flops on Christmas and sunbathing in my backyard.

SAD is a very real thing, as others have said. I suffered from it (past tense. Moving to the valley of the sun has cured me!) It got worse and worse for me each year, and would start Labor Day weekend when summer was winding down. The changing leaves in the fall signalled the death of summer and the onset of winter. The ugly, bare trees and grey skies reminded me that I had months of depression ahead. The forecast of snow a week ahead would literally ruin my entire week. Seeing the snow fall just made me more miserable. I would rarely leave the house for anything other than work because I hated to be outside. Last winter dragged on and on and on, with snow 2 days before my birthday on May 3rd. That was just the final straw. Last spring was lackluster because it stayed cold well into May, barely warming up even in June. I knew it was time to go, but that was really my final push.

I welcome the heat.It is better than being trapped in the house from November to April (or last year...May) and wasting my life wishing away 6 months of every year.

Everyone is different, of course. But many people don't elaborate how miserable and ugly winter can truly be.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 AM

3,169 posts, read 3,037,088 times
This thread is going back & forth a lot without any real resolution so I'll note that we all understand that preferences for people are widely divergent & dependent on various experiences & factors. Just because someone likes or does not like the weather somewhere is not an infringement on another person's viewpoints or make their choice of location any less valid.
My own personal "SAD" experience is the worst in the summer when I get cranky with a capital "C" from the long-lasting, everpresent heat & humidity combo in Georgia. Rigizug was correct the other day in her observation when she noted that it can occur in the summer for some people.
That being said, I do not like being cold for a long period of time, just as I do not like being hot for an extended period of time.
Yet I never would have believed 35 years ago when I moved to Georgia & was in love with it that I would ever rue the day I left Iowa.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
This thread is going back & forth a lot without any real resolution so I'll note that we all understand that preferences for people are widely divergent & dependent on various experiences & factors. Just because someone likes or does not like the weather somewhere is not an infringement on another person's viewpoints or make their choice of location any less valid.
You are correct. However, I have known several people who have moved from no-snow places to snow places and were in for a SHOCK. They expected to just be playing in the snow, and were in for a rude awakening when the reality of winter set in. They all said "why didn't someone tell me?"

It is no secret that I hate winter, but nothing I have said is an exaggeration. it is what it is, and I think it is important for those considering a move to a snowy place to know the truth before they do so.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,060,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Driving to play in the snow and living with it day after day for months are two entirely different things.

I find that people who are not from areas that gets snow have much more romantic ideas of the stuff than those who know the tiresome chore of dealing with it day after day. It doesn't stay white and pure long. Soon it is just dirty piles of blackend yuck from cars and plows. It creates serious driving issues, not only the obvious slippery stuff, but when it freezes under the snow, the roads become horrible rut-infested things that are murder on your car. Scraping snow, ice, and sleet from the windsheild loses its novelty after the first time, trust me. As does shovelling.

Winter is not all about hot chocolate and building snowmen and making snow angels and catching snowflakes on your tongue. Snow in Flagstaff is also not the same as snow in Iowa. Its often much colder in Iowa, or at least feels that way, due to the damp cold and high winds.
I never said winter was "all about hot chocolate and building snowmen" ... I assumed most people are intelligent enough to realize Iowa winters are harsh and that there is the "unromantic" side to winter ... at least the transplants I've known through the years (including myself). I don't understand why you take my post out of context. I'm sure I could do the same to yours if I chose to. But this is getting off topic.

Last edited by ennaf; 03-21-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I never said winter was "all about hot chocolate and building snowmen" ... I assumed most people are intelligent enough to realize Iowa winters are harsh and that there is the "unromantic" side to winter ... at least the transplants I've known through the years (including myself). I don't understand why you take my post out of context. I'm sure I could do the same to yours if I chose to. But this is getting off topic.
It wasn't you I quoted when I posted that.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:21 PM

Let's refocus back on target here given that this thread has gone off totally into a mode of looking at the contrasting weather aspect of things. There is so much more to be discussed to help the op.
What other info would be helpful for you TonyMacaroni on beyond smallish/suburban town suggestions? As in what hobbies, cultural & recreational interests does your family have & your children enjoy that would influence your site selection & or school district choices?
Would a long distance move be a time of career change or redirection for you &/or your spouse?
Have you visited her family in southeast Iowa so as to have any feel for the state on any basis?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Let's refocus back on target here given that this thread has gone off totally into a mode of looking at the contrasting weather aspect of things. There is so much more to be discussed to help the op.
The OP stated he wanted to hear comparisons between Phoenix and Des Moines/Iowa. A major point to compare is the weather, because the difference between the 2 locations is vastly different.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Yes, I know & I read that but we have gone completely down that one aspect & neglected everything else & probably scared TonyMacaroni away from the forum.
I have now asked him to tell us what else he would like to know. As for example, from my trips to visit my Dad in Phoenix about 20 times & paying attention to Az news since his death, I know that government & politics in general in Az & Ia are vastly different. The same goes for recreational amenities, cultural institutions, educational institutions & standards as well as the employment opportunities, etc.
As I said earlier, there are myriad topics to be examined & contrasted on beyond where we have gone so far.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:52 PM

51 posts, read 79,526 times
Quote:
What other info would be helpful for you TonyMacaroni on beyond smallish/suburban town suggestions? As in what hobbies, cultural & recreational interests does your family have & your children enjoy that would influence your site selection & or school district choices?
Would a long distance move be a time of career change or redirection for you &/or your spouse?
Have you visited her family in southeast Iowa so as to have any feel for the state on any basis?
We took a trip there about 3 years ago and spent a week. I absolutely loved it. In Keo there were nothing but family owned stores to look at so everyone was really nice. It was cool being able to just stroll around a small town and visit different stores without having rude people/homeless people constantly there. The biggest culture shock for us we found started once we entered about Kansas, how complete strangers would just say hi to us when we walked in a store or something. No one talks to each other here unless they know them. It was weird, but awesome.

Career not much, we have our own internet based business so as long as we have internet, we can work. And obviously the better the school is the more well end up there. It's mainly for the kids to grow up in a friendly welcoming place.

As for hobbies we're nerds, so movies, comics, games are a must to have around. That's why I'd like to stay somewhat close to Des Moines since I'm sure that has them all. But we love the outdoors and love going fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa