U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 6,120 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys for the great suggestions.

My family consists of me and my wife; both Indian roots and we enjoy living in an area of diversity in cultures.

@Christinerica : I think Low Moor Iowa would be too far as I would be working in Muscatine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 PM

534 posts, read 670,785 times
Once upon a time when I lived in davenport, friends and drove through a misty dark twilight and happened upon Low Moor; it was a moment from a Stephen King book that circulates in my mind from time to time. I had to complete the cycle of Low Moor...I thank you sir for the chance.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 PM

362 posts, read 244,810 times
I have had just an absolute nightmare of a time living in this area. If you want to pm me feel free and I'll tell you about it; otherwise, I would strongly not recommend the qca area.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:05 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
Uuss,

The quad cities aren't that bad, relative to other parts of Iowa. The best parts of the state are clearly Des Moines and living right next to Omaha. Outside of that, the quad cities is probably the least painful part. I'm one of the regular "iowa haters", so I'll be providing the opposing viewpoints to the many fanbois. You may be able to find a decent priced apartment. You'll probably want to stay on the Iowa side of the border to avoid having to deal with state taxes for states that are both known for their terrible tax laws. If you live in Illinois and work in Iowa, you're stuck dealing with both governments. That is just asking for pain.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:58 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,452,539 times
Lurtsman brought up my concern: figure out your city and state taxes before you sign a lease.

IL is almost as bad as OH in terms of taxing residents for living in one city and working in another, plus IL has a bunch of extra auto taxes and such. I wasn't overly impressed with the city of Moline, either. I would've lived in Davenport if I had needed to transfer to that area.

Be sure to set some money aside for warmer clothing for fall and winter and buy it here. Wearing proper gear makes all the difference! You may still hate the cold, but you'll hate it less if you have a parka instead of a light ski jacket when it's below zero.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:07 AM

123 posts, read 215,392 times
The Quad Cities are great.........cost of living is Cheap...great food, great beer (bent river Moline) and good place to live. If you got job at HONN in Muscatine you will hate working there. Lots of turnover!

Old 04-18-2014, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,517 times
Default QC Perspective from a someone raised here.....

First off let me give you a little info about myself. I am a 27 year old male, married, with three children. My wife is from Davenport. I was born in Muscatine. I lived in Muscatine from 1987 until around 1996 when my parents divorced, Clinton, IA (30 min north of Davenport) for around three years, and Davenport for my middle school and high school years. After high school, I left for the military and served in Iraq. I moved back from the Phoenix/Goodyear area a year ago to take care of my elderly father. I am of mixed race, and my wife is white. From here I'll break it down for you, and it ain't gonna be pretty my friend...........

Muscatine is not a place where I would wan't to ever live again. My father worked for HONN in the early to mid 90's. Previously he had been a UPS driver. It was very hard for us to be comfortable because my father was making great money but was dealing with racism, as we lived in a nice, newly developed sub-division and we sometimes had very unpleasant situations with some neighbors . Muscatine is not Davenport. Muscatine is a sleepy river town, and only nice if you fit in. I have a large amount of family members there, who are white, and they like it. But one thing they are not fond of is the large Mexican population. Go figure...............

People in the Quad Cities are rather self centered. When you grow up here you are given the impression and fed the b.s that the QCA is the BEST place in the USA. We have great this, great that, the best this, and on and on, when in reality I would say it's your average decrepit and deteriorating mid-west metro area. Downtown Davenport, the farther west and south you go, it turns more and more into a stinking hovel. Old decrepit homes, mixed with bars and night clubs and the like. It is a mix of poor white and poor black, but oddly enough I find mostly that the white and black population don't mix well, and that is sadly by choice. Some of the worst crimes in the city happen in this area, and the one way streets of 14th and 15th(?) I believe.

Crime in Davenport is high compared to other places similar, especially theft, vandalism, and assault. The stats speak for themselves. If you leave your stuff out it WILL be taken. How quickly only depends on the neighborhood. I live north of 53rd street in a decent professional occupied neighborhood, and about two weeks ago my neighbor had her window yanked down in the car by removing the molding and her purse was stolen, in broad day light mind you. Crimes of opportunity are high. Don't get me started on the police force. They are more interested in revenue from red light cameras, and speed cameras, but recent legislation may help that problem. The Illinois side does not have the cameras, which I think are unsafe and are on EVERY SINGLE LIGHT. You will find a large number of child molesters, partly due to weak sentences in Iowa. They are not allowed to live within 2000 feet of a school or daycare, so be careful.

There is gang violence from time to time, largely due in part to the rivalry between the black populace of Rock Island and Davenport. Drive by shootings have killed children, but not to the degree of say Chicago. I say this because I grew up in Davenport's black community and I can tell you for a fact it's true. If you are black and from Davenport, you probably won't associate with many blacks from the Illinois Quad Cities. I'm fairly sure it is a well known fact in the black community.

I would stay north of Locust St. for housing. The thing about housing here is that a decent house is few and far between. Housing is not cheap here as people will tell you. Yes, you can get a pos, rundown, mid century disaster in a bad neighborhood for very, very cheap. And you also get everything that goes with it, like crime and blight. The nice houses, of neighborhood in Bettendorf and north Davenport will cost you upward of 1500 easy for a 3-4 bedroom 2 story with a 2 car garage. These are not of the same age, floor plan and quality as you would expect in some markets. Prices when buying are inflated compared to other markets.

The schools are atrocious. Say what you want. I went there. Sudlow Junior High and Davenport Central. My children attend Harrison Elementary at the moment. Davenport public schools are a joke. So much a joke in fact, that my children will both be attending Quad city Montessori School next fall. The public schools are outdated and the curriculums are very outdated. My kindergarten aged child went from doing book report on age appropriate books and daily math and science worksheets for homework in the Phoenix area, to taking naps and gluing shapes on crappy scrap paper. He was not impressed, and neither was I.
Iowa graduates a high percentage of students, but it's because they push them through and the teachers don't care. My kid's school has one parent teacher conference a year. ONE! After that it is the parents responsibility to call the teacher if they have a concern. I called the other day because of a very vague permission slip to sell paper shoes, and was informed that another child in my child's class has a nasty habit of calling my son a penis. Also my son has been writing b's and d's backwards, neither of which the teacher felt like telling me in note form or a phone call. Bad schools, plain and simple.

The city infrastructure is falling apart. Let me tell you, if we ever had a bad ice storm, I guarantee 95% of the Quad Cities would be without power for a year. The trees are overgrown on most streets to an alarming degree. More responsible cities in the mid-west do not let this happen. I have been in and lived in quite a few. The roads are very bad. The mayor of Davenport has declared an "all out assault on potholes". Gee, maybe if they kept up the road like other cities it wouldn't have gotten this bad.

Another thing is the larger older homes along Harrison and Brady. Once beautiful homes built from the 1880s up, are all divided into 4-plexes with a high tenant turnover. Sure some are gentrified, but not enough are; in this area slumlords still rule.

Here, the well to do, do for themselves. The rest are just an afterthought. Jobs for the average joe are low paying, like minimum wage, $7.50 an hour for second shift kind of jobs. That's pretty sad. Who can live well on that? I am fortunate, I work from home and attend a great university, albeit from a distance.

The Quad Cities will forever be stuck in a time warp of whatever has passed the rest of the country, only pulling at the scraps of what has been used up by progressive cities around the country. This is a flyover state, and where dreams come to die.

The people are not that nice or welcoming, despite what others might say. People here are not good drivers, and I have driven a lot. A LOT. People who say the Quad Cities is just the bees knees with so much to do and see, have sadly never been any where else.

Here's a little story for you: My son was sick with the flu when I lived in Arizona. As a precaution he was admitted to the Phoenix Children's Hospital, as he wasn't drinking enough to stave off dehydration. PCH is a wonderful institution by the way. He was given an IV and released after 3 days. My mother in law and some members of my wife's family actually had the nerve, to tell me, that instead of that, we should have driven him FROM PHOENIX TO IOWA CITY because Iowa City has the best medical facility in the country and he was probably receiving sub-standard care. Some people here truly believe they live in some paradise with the best of everything, ITS IOWA PEOPLE!

If I were you I'd look into Des Moines and Iowa City. Both better and more progressive, and both prettier without the grit, crime, and ignorance. That is just my opinion. You experience may vary.

Most of my experiences are centered on Davenport, but I have also lived in East Moline. I never once saw anyone I knew from Davenport in East Moline, for the record. People here come with roots like trees, they don't move much.

And you will pay a premium price for everything, because supply is low on quality, diversified goods. I found it much cheaper to live in the southwest. So unless you like garbage, be prepared to either get it somewhere else or pay through the nose.

Also, Davenport is the largest city on the Mississippi without permanent flood protection. The ENTIRE Mississippi. Take that in whatever way you want. They all float down here.................................

Old 04-19-2014, 08:05 PM

123 posts, read 215,392 times
AZsun87...............WOW, that is some incredible "feedback". I would have to agree with you about Davenport. I was born and raised in Moline, always thought it was a decent place. But, after reading your thread, I would have to agree with you on the infrastructure of the QC's...it's is bad. I have taught school in Moline for 31 years and I am retiring to Wyoming in June. I will actually be teaching there as well. I do know that they will pay subs upwards to $175 a day to sub in some of the Davenport schools because they cannot get subs to teach at some of the schools.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:17 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSun87 View Post
The Quad Cities will forever be stuck in a time warp of whatever has passed the rest of the country, only pulling at the scraps of what has been used up by progressive cities around the country. This is a flyover state, and where dreams come to die.

Sweet Jebus..Don't try so hard, it's embarrassing to read.

You made a couple good points, but in that book you wrote the good points were lost in the rant.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 AM

434 posts, read 561,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuss View Post
I have accepted a job office in Mascatine and planning to move to Quad Cities (Davenport IA, Moline, IL) and commute to Mascatine. Need your help in deciding which place to live.
I have spent 5 years in CA so I am sure that the weather would be a BIG challenge for me. But I guess I will manage.

Other questions that I have:

- How is the driving in winter? I have a rear wheel drive and would be driving close to 30 miles every day.
- Is there any place in Quad Cities, that I need to stay away from?
- What is the best place to live? I would prefer living in some lively place.

Thank you and appreciate your time.
I moved from CA to South Dakota about 10 years ago, and before I moved I sold my 2-wheel drive minivan and purchased a 4-wheel drive SUV. I drive 86 miles each day for work, and I would need about 10 pair of hands to count the numbers of times I have been glad to have 4-wheel drive. That said, I see equal numbers of sedans and 4-wheel drive vehicles in the median of the interstates or in the ditch. In most cases, the SUVs I see stuck had passed me about 5 miles before driving 10-15 mph faster than everyone else. Some SUV drivers must think their 4-wheel drive vehicles are invincible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or