Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:29 PM

18 posts, read 64,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Most of my test experience watching for racism used the mall in Coralville as the center for activity. I could easily sit down and "people watch" while eating lunch or dinner.
I think there is a huge difference between the cultures of North Liberty/Coralville and Iowa City. Iowa City has a very "artsy" vibe to it that is harder to pick up in places like North Liberty. A number of my out of state friends have noticed it when they have visited. Today there is an anti plastic bag event going on in the ped mal where people are handing out free reusable grocery bags in exchange for plastic bags. I doubt you would actually see something like that in Coralville (note that I am talking about the city in general). By the way, I also very much enjoy responding to your posts.

Last edited by jthomas.7489; 04-22-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 08:20 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Truth again. IC does have more of an artsy vibe. In all fairness, I think NL bothered me more than IC. I just tend to localize it onto IC because it is the center of the area. I enjoy responding to your posts as well. Having someone with different views that knows how to logically articulate and defend them is the greatest joy in debate. Honestly, I tire of just smashing incompetent people that can't begin to organize their thoughts. It's the opportunity for intelligent debate like this that keeps me visiting the forums.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,813 times
To be honest, I haven't a clue if this is a good idea from the perspective of schools, etc., but if you are going to be working in Cedar Falls, and your wife is more likely to find work in Cedar Rapids (and Cedar Rapids may have ethnic resources you might appreciate), would it be worth considering moving to somewhere like Center Point or Urbana?

smatabei, is that something you might consider? That would basically mean that you would both have to do half of the commute instead of either of you doing the whole commute. It would have definite downsides, like instead of going from a huge city to a smallish city, you'd be going to a small town - but with daily trips into bigger cities.

Can anyone else weigh in on things like the Center Point-Urbana school system, etc.? Although if the local school system doesn't meet kids' needs, open enrolling to a school close to mom's or dad's workplace and having kiddo commute with them could resolve that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa