U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 8,164 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Could anybody provide guidance as to whether Iowa City or Davenport is better for a young (25ish), single female to live in? I've been reading a lot about Davenport's crime rate, but is closer than Iowa City. Iowa City is farther from work than ideal.

If Davenport is alright, what areas should be avoided?

If Iowa City is significantly better to warrant the extra 10 miles commute, then same question - which areas should be looked at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:05 PM

4,359 posts, read 5,283,967 times
The worst part of Davenport is where all the college kids from Palmer Chiro school and St. Ambrose university live..Meaning it's really not that bad.

Division st. and Eastern ave. run north and south..Locust st. and 4th st. run east and west..That square, on a map, is the bad area. It's the only area I ever lived in in Davenport and I never had a problem, ever.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:44 PM

2,964 posts, read 2,655,430 times
In what town is your job going to be located? Trying to get a better handle on your possible commuting patterns to & from either city to your work location.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,517,382 times
OP, I recommend living as close to your work as is reasonable. The winter commutes can get really nasty! On a day when there's ice but you have to drive, it's really nice not to have to drive very far!

Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 AM

I'll be working in Muscatine. Is Davenport a fun place?

Are the Crescent Loft Apartments okay to live in?

Is Molina less preferable than Davenport or IC?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:44 PM

4,359 posts, read 5,283,967 times
Idk if Davenport is fun, but it (the Quad City Area -QCA) has the most going on by far. Tons of festivals and what not. Find the websites for the 'River City Reader' and the 'Quad City Times' to see what's going on.

Crescent Loft apts are part of the new downtown revitalization thing that's been going on for a few years. If I ever move back that area is where I would live.

'The District' of Rock Island is directly across the river from downtown Dav., about 90 seconds away, it's where a lot of the festivals are. (The District is a ped mall/lots of bars and clubs area.)

Moline is on the Il. side of the QCA next to Rock Island, no real reason to live there over Dav., plus it's that much further from Muscatine. On the other hand, living in Moline or Rock Island would only add, at the most, 20 minutes to the Muscatine drive. (Think of the QCA as one big town with the Mississippi river running down the middle.)

The drive from Dav. to Musc. is a piece of cake. Tho' the drive from Musc. to Iowa City is probably just as easy.

Iowa City and the QCA are the only two places in Iowa I would live.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:59 AM

411 posts, read 1,450,777 times
The Crescent Lofts were a great place for a young person to live when I lived there back from 04-06. I'm sure they're still great now, and that neighborhood is completely filling in with loft projects. Construction noise might be the only downside for the next year or so, but I doubt that's even anything to worry about.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:09 AM

You guys are all so helpful! Are there any other buildings that are reputable and safe? I will also have a new-ish car with me...is that a problem?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,186,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playdohputty View Post
You guys are all so helpful! Are there any other buildings that are reputable and safe? I will also have a new-ish car with me...is that a problem?
A friend of mine lived at the city view apartments at 7th and Iowa and it's a nice building. I never heard of any car break-ins and there were some decent cars there. There seemed to be a mix of Palmer students and professionals.
When he first rented there back in 2010 there were no income restrictions (he made too much money to live in crescent).

I wouldn't say the immediate neighborhood is bad, but it's not the prettiest and not right in the action. If you wanted to live where the action is I'd look at the Forrest block apartments or the hotel blackhawk. There are other choices in the link below.

Apartment Listings Archives | Downtown Davenport, Iowa Downtown Davenport, Iowa

Old 06-19-2014, 06:30 AM

411 posts, read 1,450,777 times
There are literally hundreds of apartments under construction in downtown Davenport right now, so depending on your timeline there might be a lot of newly renovated lofts coming available. There are also about a dozen newly renovated, market-rate apartment buildings down there to choose from already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa