Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,224 times

Advertisements

So Im moving to Cedar Rapids Iowa well thats been the plan now for over a year and a half. I am planning on going back to college at Kirkwood. Anyone have any helpful info on jobs out in CR and any info on Kirkwood. Thank you all for the info. - C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 05:53 PM

296 posts, read 1,283,392 times
What kind of jobs?

What would you like to know about Kirkwood? What are you planning to study? It is a great school, huge for a community college.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,224 times
I am going to Kirkwood for physical therapy assistant. I need to find a job that will support me, I'm up for doing bout anything that pays the bills for now just something stable.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:04 AM

296 posts, read 1,283,392 times
Great field to be in. Have you been accepted to the program? Most of the health fields at Kirkwood book up early because graduates are in demand.

Be SURE to ask KCC about scholarships and apply for any they have. It may only be a few hundred dollars, but they have all different kinds, many devoted to particular fields, some awarded for need, others for scholarship, etc.

Most of the vocational programs are VERY demanding of your time. You might investigate jobs at the college, even work study, which will allow you to stay on campus and work rather than travel to somewhere else. There are also two BIG call centers more or less on campus, Ruffalo-Cody and I drive past the other one with the big beautiful pond in front just about every day and can't remember the name today! They are always hiring. It's not work for everyone but if you have any interest in that, it could keep you going for a couple of years.

Lastly, don't rule out a student loan. Kirkwood is pretty inexpensive compared to a university -- it won't amount to all that much and you KNOW you'll get a job when you graduate as a PTA so you can pay it off.

Get in touch with Kirkwood and make sure you don't make assumptions about being able to get in, and that you know early on what your housing options are. The biggest mistake students make is in thinking they can hook up with KCC at the last minute and it's just too big and too much in demand for that these days. Come to visit, attend all the orientation sessions, even if they sound lame, because they'll give you a chance to scout for housing and jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa