U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 04:02 PM

379 posts, read 423,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Conversely the metro is not the desolate skankhole that it's commonly portrayed as being here. I've been around enough in these various states to have really seen some jaw-droppingly bad skankholes to know them when I see them.
Skankhole is your word, not mine. I will say that the Davenport/QC area offers little in the way of true excitement or urban charm. It is an area stuck in a 1950s farm-town mentality, on so many levels. Some might find that charming, I suppose, but most young kids looking to kick-start their adult life will find the Quad Cities lags behind other similarly-sized Midwestern metros.

I get that the OP wants a mid-sized town to start out with. That makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is why they'd start in a mid-sized town that is towards the bottom of the livability list.

Last edited by funksoulbro; 10-10-2014 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 06:24 PM

231 posts, read 291,643 times
Funksoulbro: Dude, I think you're forgetting about Bettendorf. Have you even been to the Quad Cities?

Old 10-10-2014, 08:54 PM

2,964 posts, read 2,655,430 times
Since the population of the QC has repeatedly been pointed out on various QC threads (by the same member here) to have been stagnant since the 1980 census, in all fairness it should be pointed out that since 1980 Rock Island County, Il in the Illinois section of the QC has decreased by 18,000 or about 12%. During that same time frame, Scott County, Ia (Davenport & Bettendorf) lost significant population during the farm crisis decade of the 1980's. Since then it has recovered all of it's losses & gained on up to a new peak & is estimated to have nearly grown as much already this decade as it did during the entire last census period decade.
So, the overall population stagnation of the QC area has been due in a major way to the ongoing population losses on the Illinois side of the river.
One need only to look at the renovations & new residential construction occurring in downtown Davenport to recognize the faith that lenders, builders & residents have in the future of Davenport to know that it is not a failing city.
Speaking of the 1950's, back then Davenport's next door neighbor Bettendorf, Ia. had a population of just over 5,000. Today it is estimated to be over 34,000.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:41 AM

379 posts, read 423,524 times
Quote:
So, the overall population stagnation of the QC area has been due in a major way to the ongoing population losses on the Illinois side of the river.
Most of Illinois' losses become Iowa's gain in the Quad Cities. There's a tremendous amount of movement within the metro, and a great deal of that is a one-way defection from Moline/Rock Island to Davenport/Bettendorf. The population is not growing. It's just shifting from a really run-down section of the metro (Illinois) to the less-crappy side in Iowa.

Quote:
Speaking of the 1950's, back then Davenport's next door neighbor Bettendorf, Ia. had a population of just over 5,000. Today it is estimated to be over 34,000.
Bettendorf benefits from having the area's best two school districts (Pleasant Valley and Bettendorf) within its borders. As a result, many people moving from within the Quad Cities are making Bettendorf their final destination. Much of Bettendorf's growth from the 1950s through the 1970s was due to out-of-market residents moving into the city to work for Alcoa. However, since the 1980s, the city hasn't really grown all that much. Alcoa actually employs less people today than it did in the 1970s.

In 1980 Bettendorf's population was 27,381. The 2010 official figure put it at 33,217. That's 21% growth over the long span of 30 years, with much of that growth coming at the expense of other cities within the metro area. Davenport is actually smaller than it was during the 1980 census, as is Moline and Rock Island. Bettendorf's growth is largely a by-product of that.

If you look at other nearby metros with a fast-growing suburb, you'll see even Bettendorf's 21% growth is sluggish by comparison:

Marion (a Cedar Rapids suburb) went from 19,474 in 1980 to 34,768 in 2010. That's 79% growth.

Ankeny (a Des Moines suburb) went from 15,429 in 1980 to 45,582 in 2010. That's 295% growth.

Bettendorf doesn't come anywhere near that kind of growth. Meanwhile, Davenport, Rock Island, and Moline are all in 40-year stagnation patterns. The Quad Cities is not a place people choose when looking for a decent place to live. Most of the few residents who do move here do so because of family obligations (caring for an elderly parent, etc.) or their job forcibly transferred them to the area.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:54 AM

2,964 posts, read 2,655,430 times
Smitty
The Centennial Bridge is very old & periodically undergoes major to minor repair work which can impact it's reliability & convenience for travelers & commuters. It is currently nearing the end of another of it's repair cycles.
If you choose to live on the Illinois side of the river & plan use the bridge for commuting into Davenport since your new job location is on the Iowa side near the bridge, be aware that your commute times or convenience could be impacted by any of these cycles.
One of the charms of QC living, & most specifically of Davenport itself, is that the city fully embraces it's history & connection to the Mississippi River. A full gamut of river-centric events occur to celebrate that connection & considerable investment has been made to improve the river front area with parks & public amenities. Compared to what the river front looked like 30 years ago, it has come light years forward in the way of physical & visual improvement.
Since there is no ocean or lake there, the fact that a great body of water flows by the metro area is perhaps the greatest natural physical feature of the QC & the opportunity to enjoy or take advantage of that water presence is readily available.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:10 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,307,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Your initial impressions are correct. I doubt having any more exposure to the area would change your thinking very much.

The Quad Cities definitely has "small town" written all over it and lacks the bustling vibe of a metro area with nearly 400,000 people. Somebody who is seeking anything resembling city life should steer clear of the QC area. It's like an overgrown version of Kewanee, Illinois.

If you're not familiar with Kewanee... here's the City Data profile: http://www.city-data.com/city/Kewanee-Illinois.html
Thanks Funk, that's good to know. I'm expecting to never set foot in the area again since I got the heck out of Iowa

Old 10-12-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty211 View Post
Lurtsman, according to your scale...large towns, mid-sized cities and large cities are indeed what fit my preference, so the Quad Cities are now moving higher in my personal rankings. I'm not fully prepared for an LA-Chicago-New York type metropolis at this point in my young career.

San Diego is not an option for me currently. I appreciate the input atler8, but for now I'm set for just a six-week winter internship in Palm Springs, and that's the extent of my CA ventures so far. I'm going to keep all CA-related topics confined to my thread under the San Bernardino-Riverside County category.

Now, back to QC...thanks again to all for the wealth of info. I'm not anticipating public transport to be my only means, but rather as a backup just in case, since I've never been further east than Denver in my life. My field of work is one where upward mobility is quite difficult, so if the QC ends up being my home longer-term than I'm currently expecting, it sounds like it would be a fairly hospitable place to eventually raise a family, if only for a few years.
I think you'll be just fine then. As long as large towns work for you, you'll be set. Be ready for the weather though. It is bitter in a way I could not comprehend before I experienced it.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:01 AM

78 posts, read 84,363 times
Midwest winters are legendary, I'm told. My body does well in cold though, I've gone outside at ten below and been just fine in a thick hoodie and sweats (I'm an inland northwesterner, not a west-of-Cascades one). Summer is my biggest weather concern. I just about died of the humidity on a trip to Hawaii in February (first time) and I already sweat like a pig when moving around in moderate dry heat to begin with.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Midwest winters are legendary, I'm told. My body does well in cold though, I've gone outside at ten below and been just fine in a thick hoodie and sweats (I'm an inland northwesterner, not a west-of-Cascades one). Summer is my biggest weather concern. I just about died of the humidity on a trip to Hawaii in February (first time) and I already sweat like a pig when moving around in moderate dry heat to begin with.
Sounds fun. You've had the winter being inland of the Cascades. The summers are definitely hotter than Hawaii though. Only a few degrees warmer on average, but watch out for those heat waves. I still remember working outside when the feels like was a hundred and fifteen.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:29 AM

34,816 posts, read 33,677,703 times
Quote:
Recent college grad here. A couple of job prospects have popped up for me in SoCal, and now I'm looking at a position in Davenport.

Based on surface-level data, cost of living seems very reasonable and the area appears quite friendly. My question is, are there affordable and serviceable apartments in the area that wouldn't wear out a college grad's wallet? I would prefer not to have to commute far.

I'm from a fairly rural part of the PNW but crave a respectable city/urban vibe. How can I expect my transition be if I land the job and move in?

We don't live far from Davenport and we spend a lot of time there and in Rock Island, Moline, Bettendorf and Iowa City going further past Davenport.

As far as the rent goes I cannot help you on that however, there are a lot of things to do and from what I understand from the college kids in Iowa City as the University Davenport and the surrounding area does have a good night life. Personally we don't go out to clubs or bars but we are old and married and just can't keep up any longer...LOL

I think you would enjoy Davenport at least for a few years to get established and some work experience.
Then you can decide if you want to move along or stay in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa