U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-14-2012, 10:22 AM

3,869 posts, read 2,170,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Can you explain why it is a "bad thing" that living in Des Moines, we're not closer to cities like Quad Cities, CR, Peoria, etc.? I'm not being snarky, I honestly would like to hear your prespective on it. We have Ames only 30 minutes away which gives us BCS level college sporting events. DM already offer more events/festivals/concerts/theater than I have the time or money to attend. What do these particular ciites or cities the size of CR, QC, etc offer, that we'd need them to be closer so as not to somehow be a negative for DM? Honest question.

It get why there would be advantages to being closer to a large city like Chicago, but KC is only 3 hrs, Minneapolis is only 4 which isn't a bad drive given how often you actually need to visit the bigger city for anything.
I'm not the one who posted it, but I agree with them. When I lived in SE Iowa it was a much easier drive to Chicago, St Louis, or even Indianapolis. Living in Des Moines I rarely take road trips anymore because those places I liked to visit are too far to drive now. (for me anyway)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-14-2012, 11:00 AM

389 posts, read 317,976 times
Quote:
Can you explain why it is a "bad thing" that living in Des Moines, we're not closer to cities like Quad Cities, CR, Peoria, etc.? I'm not being snarky, I honestly would like to hear your prespective on it. We have Ames only 30 minutes away which gives us BCS level college sporting events. DM already offer more events/festivals/concerts/theater than I have the time or money to attend. What do these particular ciites or cities the size of CR, QC, etc offer, that we'd need them to be closer so as not to somehow be a negative for DM? Honest question.

It get why there would be advantages to being closer to a large city like Chicago, but KC is only 3 hrs, Minneapolis is only 4 which isn't a bad drive given how often you actually need to visit the bigger city for anything.
Other people have more time or money to attend that DM can offer and they don't live under rock. While cable TV cutting is not a big phenomenon, its growing and starting to become popular in younger generation. it can mean as much as $100 saved monthly on TV for other things.

Being also closer to bigger city, would mean travel cheaper, especially by airline to any place in the US. DM was ranked as one of the most expensive airports to fly from/to in the US. You guys simply have to spend extra $200 to fly, or drive 1 day in advance that may require booking hotel if flying early morning.

Cities like QC offer nothing really better than DM.

Unread 09-14-2012, 11:08 AM

1,675 posts, read 1,608,463 times
^^ to the last two responders. Since you both did it, I'll acknowledge maybe it was poor communcation on my part, but I stated I understand the draw to be closer to BIGGER cities. You both just confirmed my statement with examples.

I was challenging the notiion that somehow it is a bad for Des Moines to not be near the likes of CR, Quad Cities, Peoria, etc. (or equalivant sized cities). Why is that "a bad thing"?

Unread 09-14-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'm not the one who posted it, but I agree with them. When I lived in SE Iowa it was a much easier drive to Chicago, St Louis, or even Indianapolis. Living in Des Moines I rarely take road trips anymore because those places I liked to visit are too far to drive now. (for me anyway)
Aren't the drives from Des Moines to say Omaha, KC, or Minneapolis about equaivant distances as SE Iowa to St Louis, Indy, or Chicago?

Unread 09-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Aren't the drives from Des Moines to say Omaha, KC, or Minneapolis about equaivant distances as SE Iowa to St Louis, Indy, or Chicago?
Sure, but I said I don't take road trips to the cities I liked anymore, meaning St Louis or Chicago or Indy. I prefer them to the three you listed. And yes, I've been to them.

I used to live in Burlington and could be in St Louis in 2 hours or Chicago in 3.

Unread 09-15-2012, 12:14 PM

211 posts, read 126,917 times
Quote:

I understand what you mean, I wasn't saying Des Moines wasn't great, I was just saying that one of the draw backs about living in Des Moines is that there isn't any other metros with 200,000+ within an hour drive until you get to the Iowa City area and beyond. Des Moines does have a big advantage having Ames close for a good getaway.

Unread 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM

413 posts, read 459,088 times
What I like about Iowa is the low cost of living overall. Nice homes, nice people and lots of history as well.

I hate the boring cornfields and there's no mountains in sight and the winters are fricking cold!

Unread 09-19-2012, 10:36 AM

13 posts, read 10,778 times
I've been blessed to have lived all across the state, from Sioux City to Davenport and the one thing that stands out the most is how generous and loving most of the people are. I mean you run into your goofballs just like everywhere else but for the most part Iowans are real and grounded people.

Unread 09-19-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIowan View Post
I understand what you mean, I wasn't saying Des Moines wasn't great, I was just saying that one of the draw backs about living in Des Moines is that there isn't any other metros with 200,000+ within an hour drive until you get to the Iowa City area and beyond. Des Moines does have a big advantage having Ames close for a good getaway.
What is there in Ames to getaway to?

Unread 09-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
What is there in Ames to getaway to?
(queue the Iowa State Fight Song).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa