Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:21 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Define Chicago. I can make it to Aurora in under 3 hours from Marion. But downtown you are talking 3.5 - 4 depending on traffic.
I can make it from the Quad Cities to downtown Chicago in less than 3 hrs no prob. Then again I take I-88 with the tolls and drive like a bat outta hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 AM

310 posts, read 1,282,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Define Chicago. I can make it to Aurora in under 3 hours from Marion. But downtown you are talking 3.5 - 4 depending on traffic.

you're in Marion...a further 35 mins from Chicago. Use simple math to figure this out on your own.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 PM

114 posts, read 486,180 times
I like living in Iowa because if something horrible would happen to me or my family (fire, death, major injury/illness) my community would help out, with food, babysitting service, laundry etc. that's just what you do. when a new neighbor moves in you bring them a covered dish of a plated of goodies. or you scoop old lady smiths walk along with yours and no it's not just for those that are from here it's for everyone. Don't confuse the 'looks' with those of oh your new to town. And if you act like you don't want to be here we will know that and try and stay out of your way.

I can't stand Jan in Iowa -40 is a little nipply for me and I grew up in extreme northwest Iowa

Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
From Marion I'll take Hwy 30 to I-88.

Gotta love I-88. No traffic, wide open smooth road and no cops. 80mph is a breeze

Old 06-18-2009, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,161 times
My family and I moved from California in 99 to Iowa. I love the peacefulness that is out in the small towns, but I hate the nasty storms they have like the one we are going to have tonight, but then I hated the earthquakes in California too..lol...I miss the stores being close together like California has, in order to go to a big store you have to go to a bigger city..But all in all its an ok palce to live...

Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 PM

84 posts, read 295,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokomokid1950 View Post
My family and I moved from California in 99 to Iowa. I love the peacefulness that is out in the small towns, but I hate the nasty storms they have like the one we are going to have tonight, but then I hated the earthquakes in California too..lol...I miss the stores being close together like California has, in order to go to a big store you have to go to a bigger city..But all in all its an ok palce to live...
Glad to hear you enjoy Iowa, a belated welcome to a new home.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maousn75 View Post
Many people complain about nothing to do. What do they mean by having things to do? Bars and clubs? Are they serious? You've been to one, you've been to them all.
For the poor, with no disposable income, it's arbitrary where they live: nothing to do. For the poor in San Francisco, they'll complain likewise: nothing to do. Here, in Las Vegas, ditto: nothing to do for the poorest of the poor. They may as well be in Mason City.

But with imagination and very little money, with neighbors and friends, there can be lots and lots to do. You can all chip in and buy a board game. A deck of cards doesn't cost that much either. Play Chutes and Ladders for money (the person who hits 100 first wins, and the others, wherever they are stranded, must substract that from 100 and pay that to the winner).
A bicycle doesn't take much of an investment and can be lots of fun.
And in Winter, have a snow party and all make a huge mountain of snow.

And as Oscar Wilde so wisely put it: Simplicity is the last refuge of the complex. Swinging on a swing in a playground. How simple. How fun and enjoyable!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:03 PM

85 posts, read 317,101 times
Things I love about my state:

1)It's clean
2)It's a safe place to raise kids
3)We have good schools and great teachers
4)The people here are pretty fabulous I think. They have good hearts and will gladly help those in need out. Friendship is valued here. I'm still friends with people I met in grade school.
5)Believe it or not, we really do have alot of things to see and do in this area.
6) It's very cheap to live here, not only to buy a home or rent but also to buy groceries etc.
7) Compared to some places I have lived, wages have been very good here. When I moved back and returned to my profession, my pay increased about 50%.
8) Pork tenderloins. With pickles, mustard...and yes, certainly with onions.

Things I don't really like that much

1) People who vote strictly on gun rights because they hunt.
2) Socially conservative attitudes prevail in some areas. We may have legalized gay marriage, and I am pretty happy for the couples who now get to marry, but alot of Bible thumpers aren't.
3) The humidity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4) The humidity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 PM

84 posts, read 295,362 times
Things I love about Iowa:

1.) Family Values - Farming Heritage, many families like my own have been here for generations and continue to make this home.
2.) Extremely safe and comfortable. Unless you are in an older section of one of our few urban areas, crime is not something on your mind.
3.) Scenery - In most areas you can see for miles, what was once open prairie is now cultivated land.
4.) Casey's General Store and Hy-Vee.
5.) Good schools, yet they are starting to pressure social viewpoints on students like the rest of the country.
6.) Severe Weather - we average over 70 tornadoes a year. Beautiful storms when no one is hurt.

Things I don't like:
1.) Lack of pride in the state.
2.) Rural Flight.
3.) Our current politics.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:53 PM

35 posts, read 96,315 times
I lived in cedar rapids for my first 24 years and i surmised this..its great for families and older people but its soooooooooooo boring if your single. Also I cant be without the ocean view or all the trees the south east has to offer but over all iowa is a safe area to settle down, my parents love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa