Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:27 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Why, because you've never seen the other side of the Iowa border?

???

I live in Idaho now, not only that but I have been to every state in the nation and 24 countries. Iowa easily has the kindest people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 AM

103 posts, read 523,951 times
I'm 52. Lived in Iowa all my life. Though there are good things. I finally got sick of the winters and the hot summers. I moved and i'm happier now on the Oregon coast. Still have the changeing seasons just not as extreem

Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 PM

7 posts, read 20,212 times
I'll make it short. You can never enjoy being outdoors, (too cold, too warm, humid, mosquitos) and there is nothing to do indoors!!!!! You are far far away from any big city and the conclusion is:BORING!!!! People are friendly if they ever start talking to someone the don't know from their childhood!

Old 06-05-2009, 09:46 AM

8 posts, read 33,213 times
Having lived almost everywhere before moving here, I have to say the quality of the outdoor parks and recreation areas is much higher than what I have seen elsewhere.

I like the fact that I am rarely surprised in Iowa. It's all very predictable.

I like that I can live in a small town yet drive 20 minutes to work in downtown DM, and have a little city life mixed in.

The schools are among the best. The colleges are likewise of high quality.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mare 70 View Post
I'll make it short. You can never enjoy being outdoors, (too cold, too warm, humid, mosquitos) and there is nothing to do indoors!!!!! You are far far away from any big city and the conclusion is:BORING!!!! People are friendly if they ever start talking to someone the don't know from their childhood!

what? You must just be an outdoor softy. And a 6 hour drive at most to many large cities is "far far away"?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:38 PM

415 posts, read 1,739,315 times
More like a 2 hour drive for those of us on the east side. Some people commute farther than that...

Old 06-05-2009, 06:56 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mare 70 View Post
i'll make it short. You can never enjoy being outdoors, (too cold, too warm, humid, mosquitos) and there is nothing to do indoors!!!!! You are far far away from any big city and the conclusion is:boring!!!! People are friendly if they ever start talking to someone the don't know from their childhood!
lol!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
More like a 2 hour drive for those of us on the east side. Some people commute farther than that...

indeed. 3 hours to Chicago for me when I'm back home in Iowa City, a little over 4 to St. Louis, 5 to Kansas City and 4.5 or so to Minneapolis. Those drives are EASY.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:33 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Define Chicago. I can make it to Aurora in under 3 hours from Marion. But downtown you are talking 3.5 - 4 depending on traffic.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 PM

124 posts, read 501,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorrow View Post
I'm 52. Lived in Iowa all my life. Though there are good things. I finally got sick of the winters and the hot summers. I moved and i'm happier now on the Oregon coast. Still have the changeing seasons just not as extreem
I envy you. I absolutely love the Oregon coast and someday hope to live there. I'll probably move back to the Portland area in a few years and then maybe I can retire to the coast if I play my cards right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa