Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:04 PM

389 posts, read 666,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Sure, they're important for infrastructure purposes. But this line of debate was started in the context of interstates as a means of access to the city, and from that standpoint 235 and 280 really don't fit into the discussion.
I'll agree that 280 and 235 are meaningless in terms true interstate traffic. However, Burrrr was counting 280 in the QC total while not counting 235 in the Des Moines total. If we count interstate spur routes for one area, we have to count them for all areas being compared.

If anyone has traveled I-280, they know what a pointless highway it is. There's nothing on or along it. There's virtually no traffic. I'm not sure what importance anyone could assign to it, besides the fact a long time ago somebody decided to designate it as an interstate highway. It's basically a road to nowhere paid for by taxpayers.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:36 PM

233 posts, read 371,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
I'll agree that 280 and 235 are meaningless in terms true interstate traffic. However, Burrrr was counting 280 in the QC total while not counting 235 in the Des Moines total. If we count interstate spur routes for one area, we have to count them for all areas being compared.

If anyone has traveled I-280, they know what a pointless highway it is. There's nothing on or along it. There's virtually no traffic. I'm not sure what importance anyone could assign to it, besides the fact a long time ago somebody decided to designate it as an interstate highway. It's basically a road to nowhere paid for by taxpayers.
Yeah somehow I forgot about I-235 when I typed that ... Clearly I know 235 exists. I'm going to drop it as the moderator advised, however.

I-280 does have the Quad Cities International Airport along it so to call it meaningless is not really considering all of the facts. It also has quick access to many John Deere facilities in the area. To call it meaningless just because of the amount of cars you "saw" when you drove through doesn't really count for much. I would almost compare it to that state route that belts around the south and east side of Des Moines.

When looking at larger metropolitan areas - spur routes can prove to be some of the busiest routes linking major interstates - IE, 294 as the tri-state tollway in Chicagoland.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:47 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,763,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one is lonely View Post

Iowa's only hope for a major national city was through deft political maneuvering. You'd have to have played your civic institutions to the hilt. Imagine, for example, if they'd have put Iowa State in Des Moines? Or left the capital in Iowa City? Or given either U of I or Iowa State to Davenport? Who knows?
that flagship public university/state capital combo doesn't work for everybody. sure it works for madison, but it doesn't work for lincoln the same way (i realize omaha is close by). i don't thin it works for Lansing/East Lansing either (and, yes, i count U-M and MSU as both being flagships in MI).

IMHO, Iowa City got a damn good deal when it got "SUI" in replacement for the capital. it has developed into a legendary college towns, one of the damned best college towns around. don't think the same dynamics would have been in play if the capital and UI were there together.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:51 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,763,571 times
the Quad Cities have more staying power than a lot of people realize. It's not just about Iowa. In Illinois, the Quad Cities are the state's third largest metro area after Chgo & StL.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:46 PM

389 posts, read 666,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
the Quad Cities have more staying power than a lot of people realize. It's not just about Iowa. In Illinois, the Quad Cities are the state's third largest metro area after Chgo & StL.
The Illinois Quad Cities is one of the biggest, most depressing dumps in the state of Illinois. There are no jobs, but plenty of despair. Chicago and Saint Louis might have "big city" problems, but they also have excitement and opportunity. There's none of that to be found in Moline or Rock Island.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:11 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,505,988 times
Every time I see this thread I think, "Who cares?"

Old 11-25-2014, 03:40 PM

233 posts, read 371,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Every time I see this thread I think, "Who cares?"
That's because you are misunderstanding the question. It was by no means a caddy "Why isn't Iowa cool like everyone else?" ... It was more of a simple "let's talk about why the demographics are the way they are because it's an interesting part of Iowa's population history that defines how it is perceived today!"

I'm a small town lover and I think Iowa is a great place .. not sure why it caused an uproar to ask that question. No offense Iowa! It's not supposed to be an insult!

Have a good thanksgiving all.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:49 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,736,270 times
Not sure how other towns in Iowa view Des Moines, but the residents there generally view it as being major on par with NY/LA/Chicago except in a smaller package.

The small towns may in fact have a more realistic view of it.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:45 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,663,061 times
burrrrr
I think that your thread topic poses an interesting question & I doubt that anyone has gotten out of sorts over what you have written. Sure, some here have gotten off on specific tangents, but that's not your doing or problem.
You wrote recently about being a fan of small towns & I appreciate some of them too. The variables of quality of life in them are important though, just as they are for small cities and metro areas.
I grew up in a progressive small town but would not want to live there in my retirement. That being said, there are small towns, small cities & larger ones in Iowa that are first rate.
Living in an small town , a medium-sized one or even a huge urban center is not for everyone though & we can't thank God all cram into the same place.
After living away from Iowa for 35 years in a state that now has 10 million inhabitants, I can say for certain that by comparison, much of Iowa offers a far more desirable living environment than what I am currently in.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:47 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Not sure how other towns in Iowa view Des Moines, but the residents there generally view it as being major on par with NY/LA/Chicago except in a smaller package.
Not true at all. The only one that seems to say that is you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa