Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times

Advertisements

^ If he says it enough times, it will eventually be true and he will be vindicated.

You can't just buy (i.e..."going to the store") that type of street cred just anywhere.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:07 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
The first page had this locked down pretty well. This is a case of the natural drivers of city growth. The strongest factor for growing a city over the last two thousand years was access to water. Iowa thus had two opportunities for major cities. Omaha happens to be mostly on the Nebraska side, but effectively represents the major city for that region. The other area was the quad cities. However, the quad cities were limited by proximity to other major cities. The other major cities, like Chicago, had access to a better water source as the great lakes offered shipping between cities that were built to take advantage of the source of fresh water.

When major cities are built away from water ways there is usually a major strategic incentive. For instance, Denver was in the middle of the shipping route between Chicago and LA. It also had wonderful weather which made the area very appealing to live in. The combination of economic incentives as a regional hub for transportation and the desirable weather patterns (not to mention access to mining) allowed a major city to be built without direct access to water. The size of Des Moines is actually quite impressive given the lack of geographic advantages for the area.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:13 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Not sure how other towns in Iowa view Des Moines, but the residents there generally view it as being major on par with NY/LA/Chicago except in a smaller package.

The small towns may in fact have a more realistic view of it.
As someone who's lived in small towns in Iowa and western Illinois my whole life, I don't think we look at Des Moines as being on the same level as much larger cities. However, because of the fact that it's an easy-to-reach destination for a weekend or even a day, we might tend to get more excited about what it has to offer than someone who is used to being able to run to Chicago for the day. It's the same reason some people get more excited about a Challenger or a Mustang than an exotic foreign car; not because they actually think it's better, but because it's something attainable for the average person.

And of course, there's the fact that going to the store can encompass so much more in Des Moines than in the smaller towns.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:20 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
You can't just buy (i.e..."going to the store") that type of street cred just anywhere.
You can't buy these stickers just anywhere, either:

Old 11-26-2014, 11:42 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
This is just one example, if you need further proof look at Dmjuice, cityview, or any local blogs. Not every single person believes this of course, but the percent of people who believe this stuff is high. If someone is impressed with Zombie Burger, you can bet your last dollar they are part of this crowd.

desmoinesisnotboring.com - desmoinesisnotboring.com

Old 11-26-2014, 11:46 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
^ If he says it enough times, it will eventually be true and he will be vindicated.

You can't just buy (i.e..."going to the store") that type of street crud just anywhere.
I fixed that for you.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:35 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
This is just one example, if you need further proof look at Dmjuice, cityview, or any local blogs. Not every single person believes this of course, but the percent of people who believe this stuff is high. If someone is impressed with Zombie Burger, you can bet your last dollar they are part of this crowd.

desmoinesisnotboring.com - desmoinesisnotboring.com

Zombie Burger has been featured on more than one list of notable burger joints. Lists created by national news sources, not any you list above. I am sorry you can't understand why/how anything in Des Moines is noteworthy, but some things are. Whether you choose to believe it or not.

A quick Google brought up a few of articles from non-DM sources. I just read another recently but was unable to find it in the quick amount of time I have, but it was a list of burgers from all over the US.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/...moines-ia.html

From NPR

Sandwich Monday: Zombie Burger : The Salt : NPR

And it will be on Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives

Cable network filming at Zombie Burger

Old 11-26-2014, 02:42 PM

So Zombie Burger gets some attention from outside Iowa and now it's a 7th wonder of the world?

What I was getting it is that you typically know in Des Moines if someone has the "Des Moines mentality" by using Zombie Burger fanaticism as a way to quickly establish that. I made it very simple. It has nothing to with the notoriety or press received by it, as every city in America probably has a restaurant that Food Network has visited.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:53 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
So Zombie Burger gets some attention from outside Iowa and now it's a 7th wonder of the world?

What I was getting it is that you typically know in Des Moines if someone has the "Des Moines mentality" by using Zombie Burger fanaticism as a way to quickly establish that. I made it very simple. It has nothing to with the notoriety or press received by it, as every city in America probably has a restaurant that Food Network has visited.
No one said it was the 7th wonder of the world, Ron. It's just obvious that quite a few people think it is interesting enough to write about. People who don't live in Des Moines.

There is no "Des Moines Mentality". It just doesn't exist. People are proud of their city and having something as unique as ZB is something to be extra proud of.

This forum is meant to be a place to find useful, helpful informtaion about DM, and a place for residents (past, present, and future) to congregate. Constant posts that degrade or just flat out misinform are simply not in the spirit of this place. Perhaps you should seek out a debate forum?

Back to the topic at hand, please.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:54 PM

It's ok to see things differently, the culture of a place can be of interest as well, not just whether or not the schools are good (which is usually a racial question to begin with). Most in Iowa are oblivious to certain cultural dynamics found there and don't like reading when some observations are pointed out.

I do agree with you, back to topic. Just don't be surprised if a few of the usual posters have trouble staying on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa