Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 03:22 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by INEEDANSWERS View Post
I'm a single black female who's considering moving to Dubuque, IA for a career opportunity I'm interested in knowing how the area is concerning people of color and I'm interested in knowing if there are Apostolic/Pentecostal churches in the area?

Dubuque is 95% catholic, so I doubt that there are any Pentecostal churches there. Dubuque is probably 99% white, so if you are interested in socializing with other black people, it is definately not the town for you. That being said, as another person said, Iowans are very fair people and tend to like anyone who is hard working and friendly, so I do not think that you would have social trouble. It is changing from a blue collar John Deere community to more white collar,particularly with IBM. People there drink ALOT, as it is definately a german/irish catholic area. Nice old homes there as well as newer homes. It is a very family oriented town and the countryside is very pretty. If you are looking for an urban environment with alot of exotic restaurants, night life, and performances, it is not for you. If you want a clean family town with good schools and little crime, it is a great place.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 08-25-2009 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM

100 posts, read 534,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Dubuque is 95% catholic, so I doubt that there are any Pentecostal churches there. Dubuque is probably 99% white, so if you are interested in socializing with other black people, it is definately not the town for you. That being said, as another person said, Iowans are very fair people and tend to like anyone who is hard working and friendly, so I do not think that you would have social trouble. It is changing from a blue collar John Deere community to more white collar,particularly with IBM. People there drink ALOT, as it is definately a german/irish catholic area. Nice old homes there as well as newer homes. It is a very family oriented town and the countryside is very pretty. If you are looking for an urban environment with alot of exotic restaurants, night life, and performances, it is not for you. If you want a clean family town with good schools and little crime, it is a great place.
^^^ This posting made me LOL. I especially like the "probably" 99% White!!

Seriously, though...

Dubuque does, indeed, have a Pentecostal church... at least two, actually. I learned this after doing a 0.23 second Google search!

* Faith Temple United Pentecostal Church: 12805 Seippel Rd.
* Apostolic Faith Temple: 464 W. Locust St.

The Catholic share of the population is about 2/3 (64.87%) of the county, according to the Association of Religion Data Archives. Its a big number, but not 95%. Same thing applies for racial/ethnic composition. The latest estimates by the State Data Center of Iowa say 93.6% of the population are Non-Hispanic Whites. Again, its a sizable number, but not 99%, and is fairly similar to other Iowa towns, most of which fall in the 85-95% range.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 PM

15 posts, read 42,411 times
Are there any Grace Believer churches in Dubuque? I cannot stand some of the modern era Christian churches asking for money. Infact any church that passes a basket around is corrupt.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,849 times
I am being completely honest when I tell you that Dubuque, Iowa is NOT the open minded country haven as some of the individuals who have posted on this thread would like you to think it is.

Just read this

History of Dubuque, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Racial problems

In the early 1990s the city experienced racial strife that attracted national attention.
The problems began when a cross was burned next to the garage of an African-American family which caught fire. In the ruins, parts of the cross were found, with the inscription "KKK Lives." Another cross was burned a few weeks later. This was found to be the work of a group of young men who were well known racists - several members already had criminal records. Those responsible eventually were convicted and sent to prison.
At about the same time, the city embarked on a plan to encourage more minorities to move to the area. Some of the critics tried to stir up fear by telling people that the city was planning on taking a bus to a large city and grab the first 100 African-Americans that they found. In reality, the city was planning on making a recruiting drive to bring African-American professionals to the city.
The city's program, and the cross burning polarized the community. People took up strongly held views. Dubuque police had to be summoned to Dubuque's Senior High School at one point because racial tensions almost boiled over into a large fight at the school. Jim Brady, who was mayor at the time, had even gone to the schools in Dubuque to talk about his experiences with racism over the years. When the Guardian Angels arrived in Dubuque, it was felt that their presence would only complicate the matter. Brady flat out told them that if they caused problems he'd have them arrested.
The cross burnings and the city's plans had the effect of bringing negative media attention to the city. ABC's 20/20 did a news segment on race relations, which many felt was biased against the city and the people living in it in general. An episode of Donahue featured some of the major personalities in the controversy.
The problems also attracted the unwelcome attention of hate groups. One hate group held a parade through the city, which was attended by only a few hundred people. The Ku Klux Klan held a rally in downtown Dubuque. To counter the Klan rally, the city held a free diversity public gathering at Dubuque's Eagle Point Park.
In 2007 racial tension have heated up once again after the stabbing of a white male in downtown Dubuque by a group of African-Americans at a party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: