Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times

Advertisements

Sioux City, to me, has always seemed like a dirty town... Crime seems to be higher there then in Sioux Falls, SD, where I live... and the interstate through the city is horrible... don't drive in the left lane...the very high median (or "jersey barrier") will rip off your side mirror... I'm not sure what the Iowa DOT was thinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 22,095 times
Default "sewer city"????? does it smell like crap or cows?????

OK. I need more information about other places to live in the area to access work in South SC nebraska. I am getting alot of negitive on this place.
i can not sit in my backyard and BBQ my dinner and smell crap or cows?????

Old 04-05-2008, 10:41 AM

64 posts, read 376,959 times
Sioux City isn't really as bad as some of the others are saying, but there are far better places to live in the state.

If you're looking for a reasonably safe city with an extremely low cost of living and are not raising children, Sioux City is for you. However, if you don't like a dirty feel, bad public schools, and smells from the Tyson plant, you're better off in Iowa City or the Des Moines suburbs.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:01 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Sioux City is probably a dump because of lower taxes and lower costs of living in NE and SD. Nobody wants to live on the Iowa side and who could blame them.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 6,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
Sioux City isn't all that bad - it has its bright spots, but it does have its downers, too. It just depends on what you're looking for. I've lived there for the last 7 years, and although it's not my idea of "paradise", it is a good place to raise children. There's no such thing as traffic here, and if you look hard enough you will find enough culture and decorum to keep you happy.

Housing is incredibly affordable, but there are good parts of town (Morningside, far northern end) and really bad parts (West side, Riverside). There are also "suburbs" around that offer nice housing alternatives, such as Dakota Dunes, Elk Point, Sgt. Bluff.

Jobs? Unless you're into slaughtering hogs or driving a truck, they're mostly service industry/retail. There's been a huge downsizing in local businesses (Gateway went from 9,000 people to just under 1,000, Tyson laid off hundreds, and MCI completely shut down), but the big new local industry is telemarketing and outsourced call centers. There's always jobs available, but unfortunately most of them are in the $7.00 an hour range.

The weather stinks in the winter, but the city is pretty good about keeping up with the snow removal. The roads are in rough condition year round, thanks to potholes the size of Buicks, but for the most part its fairly easy to get around. I can get from my home in Morningside to downtown Sioux City in 6 minutes flat, which makes it easy to get to/from concerts, sporting events, movies, etc.

Sioux City is considered by many to be a backwards town, but it's really not that bad. Sure, there are a lot of people who are mentally stuck in the 60's, but there's also a certain progressive element to the community. You just have to look a little harder to find it.

So there you have it.
LMAO at the "Bad Parts". West side, I completely agree. But Riverside? The crime rate has been at zero - for a long time. And their are new houses built all over there, because it is so cheap to build out here compared to morningside, which, on the other hand, is turning into a dump..

Old 05-15-2008, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 40,952 times
Yes, Sioux City is that bad! I've lived in several other areas in the Midwest and Sioux City ranks far at the bottom. It really does not want to get progressive, too many older people and life-long residents who, for what ever reason, like this place just the way it is. Do yourself a favor and find someplace else to live, I am.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,332 times
I was born here, left at age 17 and said I'd never come back to this city. God had a reason for me to come back, but I dragged my feet all the way. Hated the idea but why get Him mad at you? His purpose is still unfolding. Wish I wasn't here., but I'll do what God wants.
Go north for beautiful country.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:55 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel.flying4u View Post
I was born here, left at age 17 and said I'd never come back to this city. God had a reason for me to come back, but I dragged my feet all the way. Hated the idea but why get Him mad at you? His purpose is still unfolding. Wish I wasn't here., but I'll do what God wants.
Go north for beautiful country.

God made you live in Sioux City?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
A bit off topic but whats South Sioux City like? If it is better, could it one day dominate Sioux City?

Old 05-26-2008, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 40,952 times
You mean, Little Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa