Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2006, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,142 times

Advertisements

Hello. My Dh & I have been discussing about moving to Iowa for 2 years .
He has his heart set on relocating to Farmington.
From what I've read online so far it has a lot to offer us ( we love to camp, he hunts, love the outdoors...)
Being it's between the river & the hills it seems perfect for us.
We live on Long Island NY (don't fret) but want to settle somewhere more secure & peaceful to raise our son & bring my Mom along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 09:38 AM

21 posts, read 179,416 times
prepare for a culture shock moving here from there... alot less traffic, clean air, etc!

Old 09-27-2006, 09:56 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound1 View Post
Hello. My Dh & I have been discussing about moving to Iowa for 2 years .
He has his heart set on relocating to Farmington.
From what I've read online so far it has a lot to offer us ( we love to camp, he hunts, love the outdoors...)
Being it's between the river & the hills it seems perfect for us.
We live on Long Island NY (don't fret) but want to settle somewhere more secure & peaceful to raise our son & bring my Mom along.
you're in Long Island and want to move to the Hawkeye state? now that's amazing.

Iowa really is a nice state and representative of America's *Heartland*.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 9,142 times
The cost of living here on the Island is just getting out of hand & there is so much development. ALOT of middle aged (I'm 39 - am I middle aged? ),middle class families are moving off & away.
I 'm not a city person & we camp a lot upstate. I spent some childhood summers up on my Aunt's farm so I 've experienced that life before & enjoyed it.
Can anyone tell me about Farmigton?
(or towns close? We'd like to stay on the SE side.)
Thanx.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Default An idea...

Go to their web site and contact them directly. Farmington is a pretty small town so your odds of anyone from there seeing this post is also small.

http://www.farmingtoniowa.com/

Contacts there for churches, organizations, businesses, for sale!, lodging, etc.

Contact Us has lists of phone numbers for the city.

Good source of info.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 29,903 times
Hi. Thinking about moving to Manson or Fort Dodge. Not to sure what these areas are like. Would somebody be able to inform me. Thank You.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:09 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Farmington is a pretty small town so your odds of anyone from there seeing this post is also small.
Small, but not zero!

Okay, I'm not actually "from" Farmington; but I've spent a lot of time there and know the area about as well as anyone who doesn't actually live there. And my wife is from Keosauqua, just up the river from Farmington.

It's a nice place, the town has most of the basic neccessities (gas stations, 2 restaurants, small grocery store, medical clinic). Folks are friendly; maybe a little guarded toward newcomers at first, but as long as you don't come in with an attitude that they should change to meet your expectations you'll find them to be very generous and welcoming. Lots of folks will offer you vegetables from their gardens and things like that.

And if your husband likes to hunt, it's definitely the place to be! Make sure to buy a big freezer!

Don't limit yourselves to Farmington, though. Any of the communities in southern Van Buren county offer pretty much the same advantages.

If you have any specific questions about the area, please let me know! I'd be happy to answer them as best I can!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 13,389 times
Default Farmington, Iowa

Farmington, Iowa is a beautiful place. We like to go to Farmington and stay in some cabins they have there for a get away. A lot of trees, quiet, low key area to live. There are a lot of antique shops near there. Definately a good place to raise children. You have to like slow-paced people, a lot of farmers and the like. Definately a lot different than NY. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2006, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 12,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
Hi. Thinking about moving to Manson or Fort Dodge. Not to sure what these areas are like. Would somebody be able to inform me. Thank You.
I live in Fort Dodge, and although it's not the nicest city you'll ever go to, it definetly is a good place to raise a family. It has everything you need minus the shopping. But Des Moines isn't very far and neither is Minneapolis. I have a lot of friends that go to Manson, and it's small and more boring than FD, but it's nice too. I would choose Fort Dodge over Manson though, but that's just me. They're both good communities.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 17,546 times
Default California native

Hi - I am originally from southern California. Lived there the first 36 years and have lived in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, for the past 12 years. Great place to raise kids. Cost of living very affordable. I think Iowa is very clean and the people friendly. I live in Cedar Rapids and highly recommend this town or the surrounding areas. Iowa City is very nice and has the University of Iowa there. West Des Moines is very nice too.

If you like the country, you will love Iowa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa