Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:27 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times

Advertisements

Lamoni has a small university, but I think its mormon. I think Dubuque would be a cool choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 PM

4 posts, read 22,494 times
There's also Iowa Wesleyan College in Mount Pleasant. MP is a town of about 8,500 and only 45 south of Iowa City and a couple of hours from Des Moines.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 AM

18 posts, read 57,753 times
I'm sort of disappointed...you're forgetting Waldorf! Waldorf College is located in Forest City, Iowa, a town with roughly 5,000 people.

Waldorf is a Christian college, affiliated with the ELCA. So it is more liberal in its religious views, and I think that that would follow through politically as well but I'm not sure...

I'm Waldorf-bound as a first year student for the 2008-2009 academic year (I'm a high school senior) and am extremely excited about it!!!

Don't count out Waldorf when considering colleges!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 PM

21 posts, read 68,883 times
I have to agree with Rhino - If you're coming to Iowa stay north - Simpson is OK, although I know a few students who don't much like the town. If you're looking for culture don't go south of Indianola, Des Moines, Iowa City, etc. good luck.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:39 PM

21 posts, read 68,883 times
think long and hard before coming to Iowa. Take a look at the faces of those folks in American Gothic - After a few years, that's the same expression you'll be wearing. (the house in the painting is in Eldon, Iowa, by the way). If you must come, stay north and find big cities. Read the other replies on the Iowa threads and you'll get a real feel for this place.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisbigger View Post
Hello,

This is my first post on these forums!

I currently work in the field of Student Affairs in Higher Education, and am looking to change colleges (and geographical regions) soon. I have always heard such great things about Iowa and its small liberal arts colleges in rural settings -- Grinell, Central, Buena Vista, Cornell, Luther, Dordt, etc. -- and am drawn to them both professionally and personally.

I'm young -- not yet 30, love to be in small- to mid-sized towns, and am looking to start a small-town, old-fashioned American dream family soon where I can make a difference in the lives of college students.

I have only driven along I-80 through Iowa and I think I was in Dubuque at some point, so I'm not really sure what towns, schools to look at first. What advice would you have for somebody like me?

I appreciate any/all responses!

Thanks so much!
I am a bit older than you and work in Cedar Rapids. But my husband and I live 4 miles outside Mount Vernon IA (Cornell). We have a couple of friends that are college profs. The like the small college and Mount Vernon is a great small town with great people. There are several small shops uptown. We love living there. We have several friends that live and work in Mount Vernon. There are plenty of young people living and working in Mount Vernon. It's a great place to be.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camanter View Post
I am a bit older than you and work in Cedar Rapids. But my husband and I live 4 miles outside Mount Vernon IA (Cornell). We have a couple of friends that are college profs. The like the small college and Mount Vernon is a great small town with great people. There are several small shops uptown. We love living there. We have several friends that live and work in Mount Vernon. There are plenty of young people living and working in Mount Vernon. It's a great place to be.
I second that. Mt. Vernon is a great little town!!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 PM

296 posts, read 1,283,835 times
Well, if we're voting, I'd have to recommend Mt. Vernon, too! I live on the other side of Cedar Rapids but sometimes go to Mt. Vernon just to shop, and the community events are great, too. The one where they have arists come and do these incredible chalk drawings all over the streets and sidewalks is fabulous -- they are like those drawings where you feel like you could climb right into the scene! Fun town and whether you are looking for old and classic or modern and stylish, there are great choices in housing.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 10,036 times
I'm glad to hear that you like the sound of Central College. I am a second-year student at Central in Pella and I love it! The town doesn't have much to offer (though we finally got a super Wal-mart) as far as brand-name stores. The "Square" is nice, though. There are different little shops - Dutch shops, 2 Dutch bakeries, at least one meat market, a Christian bookstore, a neat little non-profit mission store called Work of Our Hands, and a chocolate shop, to name a few.

Pella is a very nice small-town community. It has a good school district, including a Christian high school in addition to the public high school. It is heavily religious, not to the point that people are discriminate, but to the point that if you plan on doing anything in town on a Sunday morning besides church, you're out of luck - everything is closed (minus wal-mart & hy-vee). It is a Dutch town, which is a really nice aspect. If you haven't heard of Tulip Time (every May), you should look it up! It's a Dutch festival & pretty much takes over the entire town for three days. Pella is also very close to Lake Red Rock, which offers a beach and many trails.

As far as restaurants, there are quite a few pizza places (we college kids love our pizza), a Mexican place, a Thai place, a Chinese place, and several family restaurants. There is also a nice local coffeeshop. The "nightlife" of Pella leaves MUCH to be desired, although there are a couple of bars. However, Pella is close enough to Des Moines (about 45 minutes) to go there for shopping, a night out, more restaurants, etc.

Concerning Central, specifically - whoever mentioned that Central is big on foreign languages and study abroad programs was right on. I can't remember the percentage of students that study abroad, but it has one of the best programs in the country. The college is around 1500 students. It's a residential campus and also has many international students. I'm not sure what real estate is like in Pella as far as pricing, but there are some very nice houses in new developments on the north side of town.

Let me know if you have any other Central/Pella specific questions! I know quite a bit. & good luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Lamoni has a small university, but I think its mormon. I think Dubuque would be a cool choice.
Graceland University is affiliated with the Community of Chirst which is part of the Reformed Latter Day Saints Church, with mainstream Protestant beliefs I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa