Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:19 PM

6 posts, read 29,289 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Iowa form S. California. I am not worried about culture shock here. I just graduated from college with a B.S. degree in Ag. Science, am 25 yrs. old. I have never been too crazy about CA and the politics there, etc. Farmers are leaving that state in hordes, since there is no water and the regulations are enough to put any business out...especially ag.

ANYWAY, I want to find work out of state and I was considering Iowa, since I have always heard good things about ag from the midwest--Iowa specifically. (I saw the Rogers and Hammerstein "State Fair" movie. ) Also, I really like that there are no really big cities in the whole state...that people tend to leave each other alone and not micro-manage each other's lives and income through state regulation. Correct me if I am wrong about any of this, please. I am considering Waterloo, since it looks like rent costs may be cheaper than in Cedar Rapids and I like that there is a good Class A trucking program through Hawkeye C.C. (I plan to get my Class A CDL anyway). I intend to work hard all the time to get out of debt soon (yeah those student loans...), so I don't care too much about local entertainment, tourism, etc.

I also really like what I hear about Dubuque, but that's too far from Hawkeye in Waterloo. I may be wanting to put down roots there eventually, so any info about Dubuque helps too.

Questions: Is there plenty of (esp. ag-related) work in the area, are the costs of living fairly low, compared to other areas within IA, can a young person start from scratch (i.e. minimal savings) and make it out there? Any info on Iowa living, specifically about the Cedar Rapids area is welcome. Thanks in advance.

P.S. We don't get weather of any kind where I'm from...hardly even rain. I hardly experience weather below 60 degrees F. I imagine that it snows out in IA But, don't swamp me with warnings about the weather. Just the facts. I've heard that it floods out there? So I'm REALLY looking forward to that. I am young and I expect I will survive somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 06:01 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,190,652 times
If you decide to move to the Waterloo area, I highly recommend the nearby towns of Cedar Falls or Waverly, which are quite nice. Cedar Falls also has the University of Northern Iowa (UNI) so you'd have more exposure to the younger 20s crowd, though there are private colleges in the region too. Waterloo is known for its crime and run-down areas in many parts ... probably why the rents are lower.

Dubuque is a very nice river town ... it's my favorite area in Iowa as far as scenery, and you're closer to Wisconsin and Minnesota. I don't know about rents in these towns, but would think they're all about the same. Waverly might be less expensive because it's a smaller town and a little further in the country.

I really don't know about the job situation in ag here, but do know of one older person in the Waverly/Decorah area who has a BS degree in ag... self-employed in consulting and examining soil for farmers/corporations and does quite well. I think he first began his career with a seed company in the Waterloo or Ames area, including a part-time teaching job at one of the colleges. He is originally from the Central Valley in California and felt the same way you do.

I've heard good things about Hawkeye College and its trade and vocational programs. You might also want to investigate Kirkwood College in Cedar Rapids. They also have a trucking program (only an 8-week course), but I don't know how it compares to Hawkeye. I do know Kirkwood overall has a good reputation as a community college.

Cedar Rapids, and especially Iowa City, tend to be the most liberal part of the state, although you'll find an equal mix of conservative and liberal in Cedar Rapids. I'd also look into the Des Moines and Ames/Grinnell area that might have job opportunities. Those areas tend to be more conservative in politics too, I believe.

It sounds like Iowa might be a good fit for you if you can tolerate the cold winters. I'm also from Southern California (36 years) and now 20 years in Cedar Rapids. I've pretty much adjusted to the cold winters though many times when it gets down to the teens and below I curse and have my doubts, but then when the season changes so does my attitude. Now 25-30 degrees in the winter feels like a heat wave California has gotten so much more crowded and expensive over the years. I'm always glad to get back home to Iowa ... the open land 5 minutes from the city, slower pace, change of seasons, and LOUD thunderstorms. Also, Iowa (at least eastern Iowa) has its wooded areas, several rivers and smaller lakes, bluffs, hilly regions, and it's so green. I was amazed at how green it can get ... Not at all what I was expecting when I came here 20 years ago. Good luck to you!

Last edited by smpliving; 04-01-2015 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 05:40 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjruss View Post
P.S. We don't get weather of any kind where I'm from...hardly even rain. I hardly experience weather below 60 degrees F. I imagine that it snows out in IA But, don't swamp me with warnings about the weather. Just the facts. I've heard that it floods out there? So I'm REALLY looking forward to that. I am young and I expect I will survive somehow.
y'all don't even KNOW

Any kind of weather you can imagine, you can and will experience in Iowa. Sometimes all within a few days of each other, especially this time of year. Most bigger towns (including all those that you and rigizug mentioned) are along rivers and rivers do flood from time to time, so take that into consideration if you're looking for a place to really put down roots. The Iowa Flood Information System site has a neat tool that will show you flood stages along the various rivers and give you an idea of what parts of town are more flood-prone than others.

Invest in a wide variety of clothes for all kinds of weather, and you'll be fine. If you do manage to escape California and make it to Iowa, congratulations! You've accomplished something I've been trying to do for about 7 years now with no success.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:58 PM

Thanks to both of you for the prompt replies. I still don't know for sure where I'm going, but I'm looking forward to the rough weather up there! Iowa sounds like it has it's good points. I really like the prospect of green grass and green everywhere...for us here in CA everything has dried out already and fire season is already being talked about. This drought is not cool.
Thanks rigizug for your more detailed explanation of the regions and all the options in Iowa as far as towns, colleges, etc. Much appreciated.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:14 AM

I've been trying to find information on tornadoes in Iowa. Is this really a huge concern for most Iowans every year? I mean, being from California, I've never seen a tornado. California earthquakes make national headlines, but really from day to day, (sizable) earthquakes rarely happen. I am 25, and I only remember actually feeling 2-3 earthquakes in my life and they were both very minor. I have a feeling that tornadoes are a real threat in Iowa...that it's not just "media hype." That's what I am finding anyway. What do y'all think? Also, am I s. out of luck if I don't have a storm cellar? How risky is it to not have an underground bunker to weather the storm?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:25 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,190,652 times
For tornados, it's safest if you can go to a lower level such as a basement. I don't have a basement, so the bathtub or lower level by the garage is where I go unless I go to a friend's house with a basement (honestly, I sleep through them many times at home). In the 20 years that I've lived here it hasn't affected me personally or my neighbors. We have sirens that warn of a tornado sighting and plenty of television coverage beforehand that tracks the storms. I've lived through the two major earthquakes in Southern California ... 1971 and the Northridge 1994 earthquake. We were 25-30 miles from the epicenter both times. That was extremely frightening for me to experience and California is due for the big one anytime now. I'd rather deal with tornados and have the warnings than the unpredictability of an earthquake. As for floods, just live on higher ground and avoid flood plains.

Last edited by smpliving; 04-03-2015 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-04-2015, 04:19 AM

459 posts, read 474,655 times
Iowa for the most part is a nice state. Ashbury is growing a lot by Dubuque. Weather is hit and miss. Some years are bad and some are good. One winter you might get a lot of snow and cold. The next winter maybe mild and little snow. Summer might be cool and wet or hot and dry. Be prepared for any and all weather. Waterloo has crime like any other place and is worse than Dubuque. Those places are like any other places. It would help if you have family in the area to help you get adjusted; otherwise, you'll probably have a difficult time adjusting.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:01 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjruss View Post
I've been trying to find information on tornadoes in Iowa. Is this really a huge concern for most Iowans every year? I mean, being from California, I've never seen a tornado. California earthquakes make national headlines, but really from day to day, (sizable) earthquakes rarely happen. I am 25, and I only remember actually feeling 2-3 earthquakes in my life and they were both very minor. I have a feeling that tornadoes are a real threat in Iowa...that it's not just "media hype." That's what I am finding anyway. What do y'all think? Also, am I s. out of luck if I don't have a storm cellar? How risky is it to not have an underground bunker to weather the storm?
Tornadoes are a real thing that happens every year, and they can be dangerous, but to put it in perspective I've experienced several earthquakes in 11 years of living in San Francisco, but only one tornado in 21 years of living in Iowa, and that only came within a mile or two of my hometown. I'll second everything rigizug posted about it. The best thing you can do if you have one bearing down on you is get to the lowest floor in whatever building you're in and crouch down under a sturdy table, bench or something like that. Just keep away from windows and you'll be fine. Honestly if I were you I'd be much more concerned about cold winters than I would be about tornadoes.

There is one other thing about tornadoes that kind of highlights one of the best things about Iowa, which is community. When a tornado comes through town, people check on their neighbors and come together to help clean up and rebuild in a way that's nice to see. It's one of our better qualities.

edit: I just re-read your post and saw you mentioning Dubuque. Dubuque is a very "established" town, meaning that if you're not from there or don't know people from there it can be kind of a tough nut to crack, compared to Des Moines, Waterloo, etc. People will be nice, but from everything I've ever heard people tend to establish their social circles early on and not really branch out much, so making friends can be tougher than other places in the state. It helps if you're Catholic.

Final note: I'm sick of this damn drought too!

Last edited by Stavemaster; 04-07-2015 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Dubuque note

Old 04-08-2015, 02:31 AM

4 posts, read 11,878 times
if you want to optimize the cost to use the cheapest means is that?
his plans for it?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:41 PM

452 posts, read 619,388 times
OP- I grew up in Cedar Rapids and moved to L.A. 12 years ago. What would you like to know about CR?

CR and Iowa City are debateably the best places to live, each city is different. CR has the industry, IC has the University and college town businesses. Downtown CR has become a big party spot. CR's main form of entertainment is it's 65 or more dive bars, they are everywhere. You should like drinking if you live in Iowa.

The "trendiest" spot in Iowa is West Des Moines, they have the only Whole Foods and Trader Joes in the state, if you catch my drift.

As far as tornadoes, it's relative. Yes they happen every year, but most of them end up being in corn fields. Sometimes they will hit a town or city, but it's quite rare for it to happen in the exact spot you're in. And their radius is not that wide, usually neighborhoods get hit, not an entire metro area. Sort of like earthquakes...random.

"Severe Thunderstorms" with lightning, wind and hail are the normal occurrences of spring and fall. Just be inside for those.

Cost of living in CR is very relative to wages. Minimum wage earners can almost buy an older home in an older part of town, if they desire. Those homes are $60k to $75k. Go to Iowa Realty to see housing stock. Normal wage earners live in average homes all over the cities, around $120k to $175k. Higher earners live in nice, newer, housing development style homes in the low to mid $200's. Iowa City and Coralville charge a bit more for homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa