U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:32 PM

19 posts, read 49,208 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Hi, I'm 23 years old and have always wanted to live in the deep country woods. When I was 8 my parents and myself moved from Minneapolis, Minnesota to a small town called Lakeville about 25 miles south of Minneapolis. At the time it was awesome. We lived in a rural neighborhood surrounded by farmland and forest. I had all the freedom of living in the country. Well, now 15 years and 50,000 people later Lakeville is terrible. Everything I liked about the place is gone. Hundreds of acres of old oak forest are gone as well as all the farms. The rich have taken over and ruined everything. I can no longer snowmobile, start bon fires, shoot a gun, or go to the local pond to fish without police asking me what i'm doing. I hate the city and modern culture in general. Especially the last 5 years.

I wanted to move to SE Minnesota but the land there is expensive. Then I discovered NE Iowa to be the exact same landscape only much cheaper. [/SIZE][/SIZE]Allamakee, Clayton, or Winneshiek counties are what I am set on moving to. Of course, I would need a job. So my question is, are there any jobs in that area that you know of that I can get my foot in? Perhaps you know of someone who is hiring? Any advice would be of great use to me and very appreciated. This move means a lot to me and I am ready to go ASAP. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 PM

444 posts, read 1,801,598 times
Careful. Property taxes in Iowa are easliy double what they are in Minnesota. So while land purchase prices are less in Iowa than in Minnesota, the actual cost to own is likely very similar...

Old 01-24-2008, 06:18 PM

209 posts, read 969,284 times
Try Dubuque, it is just one county south of Clayton, and is still considered in northeastern Iowa, the job market is very prosperous here and we were named 23rd nationally in job growth in 2006, right between Austin, Texas and Orlando, Florida... The hills are breathtaking, cliffs, everything that Clayton County has Dubuque has all that and more... Dubuque was also named an All-American City in 2007... In 2007 also it was named the best community for children in America, and has also achieved that award all ready in 2008... it is a very prospective community, a great place for ANYONE... I live in Peosta, which is the fastest growin' city in Iowa, and a suburb of Dubuque, great place, consider it!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:21 PM

19,331 posts, read 32,189,024 times
I just saw your post. The tri-state area of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa is known as the "bluff country." It really is a great area. Another area you could look at is SW Wisconsin. Try an outlying town near La Crosse or Prairie du Chien. Some counties to concentrate on are: La Crosse, Vernon, Crawford, and Platte.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-24-2008 at 10:46 PM..

Old 01-24-2008, 08:20 PM

Yes, I have a high regard for the areas mentioned above by Plains 10, The area between Dubuque and the Wisconsin Dells is stellar in terms of scenery... and the roads in Wisconsin are undescribably smooth.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,452,145 times
Default Caution About Moving To Dubuque

The job situation in Dubuque is not too great. One major employer has just announced they declared bankruptcy and another is terminating 79 jobs.

The high job growth numbers are in retail, fast food and tourism industry. If you are planning on moving to Dubuque and landing a good paying job, don't bet on it.

Jasper

Old 01-24-2008, 09:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 5,803,343 times
I live near the Minnesota and Iowa borders in South Dakota and understand that Minnesota is taxed than Iowa and is more expensive to live than Iowa.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:51 PM

"Jasperhobbs,"

--The company that laid off 79 people this week is not going into bankruptcy, it is relocating to a smaller heaquarters... and you have to expect some layoffs occasionally in such an industrial city.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:58 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,452,145 times
Default Get your facts

Quebecor has indeed filed for bankruptcy. McKesson is cutting 79 jobs and moving to a LEASED facility. Hardly a ringing endorsement for staying in Dubuque

Plus McKesson is an Information Technology company. I don't consider that an industrial business.

Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
"Jasperhobbs,"

--The company that laid off 79 people this week is not going into bankruptcy, it is relocating to a smaller heaquarters... and you have to expect some layoffs occasionally in such an industrial city.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:09 AM

You are expressing unpleasant negitavity toward the city of Dubuque.

Technology is industry... any place that produces anything is industrial, clean and simple as I learned by a high school teacher...

I did not know Quebecor was moving, they have headquarters all over the Midwest and Southern Canada...

It is not all a loss in Dubuque, there are plenty of other high tech and retail positions available, and increasing in availability by the day...

Cities lose jobs, and gain them... occasionally a city will lose jobs... but Dubuque is better, it is proactive about the jobs at loss, and promotes other industrial and commercial businesses/factories to settle down in Dubuque.

Dubuque DOES NOT have a bad job market, if it did, HOW did it qualify on the list of the fastest growing job markets in the country list, not only that, but rank in the top 25?

Maybe you should get your facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa