Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 AM

17 posts, read 62,189 times

Advertisements

I am currently interviewing for a position where I would work in Grimes, Iowa- close to Des Moines. My family is very liberal and I would like to know if anyone could recommend a neighborhood with perhaps some diversity or a larger gay/lesbian population, artist/culture centers, etc?

I do understand that it is more more conservative area so I'd like to know any neighborhoods we may feel more at home.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
Your best bet is probably downtown or the East Village. Unfortunately, you will have to live in a condo if you choose either of those.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:53 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliesmom207 View Post
I am currently interviewing for a position where I would work in Grimes, Iowa- close to Des Moines. My family is very liberal and I would like to know if anyone could recommend a neighborhood with perhaps some diversity or a larger gay/lesbian population, artist/culture centers, etc?

I do understand that it is more more conservative area so I'd like to know any neighborhoods we may feel more at home.

Thank you in advance
Just curious, what would be the advantages of living in a more gay/lesbian area? Straight people loves arts and culture just as they do.

I still can't understand why many poeple feel gays are the new modern. Nothing against gays but I don't get it.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:56 AM

17 posts, read 62,189 times
Just because I have some gay family members, but any area that is more liberal would be fine and accepting I am sure.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
Ok, that makes sense. I agree many conservative people do tend to look down upon gays so that could make for an uncomfortable experience. Sorry for prying.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:47 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
I'd suggest about anywhere West of Downtown, like the Sherman Hill area, South of Grand (if you've got some money) or immediately North of Grand. This area seems to be.

As far as diversity goes, this area has the most diverse high school district (Roosevelt) in both race and wealth. You have the rich white/Jewish kids from the area around Ingersoll/Grand and then the black kids from the areas around the Drake area, Oakridge and so on. The Sherman Hill area is adjacent to some housing projects, so there's your diversity there. I doubt there are any liberal neighborhoods in Iowa that are ACTUALLY mixed, like you'll have a black family next door and some Mexicans down the block.

The East Village area seems to be more tragically hip young people. This is a newer project, people pretty much just started living there within the past two years.

As far as an area with a lot of gay people, I guess Sherman Hill would take that distinction.

I don't know, I'd just advise to come check things out and there might be something about another area that you like.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:52 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliesmom207 View Post

Thank you in advance

Well, if you are still interviewing why dont you give Iowa City a shot. That is about as liberal/progressive/gay/transgender/cultured as you can get in this state. Certainly more than you'll find on the DSM side of the state.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Well, if you are still interviewing why dont you give Iowa City a shot. That is about as liberal/progressive/gay/transgender/cultured as you can get in this country. .

Fixed for increased accuracy.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,101 times
I'm going to say Sherman Hill would be your best bet. The only downside is it's becoming a majorly gentrified neighborhood, so it's getting more expensive to buy a house there. You might want to also look at Ingersoll Ave. or Grand like others have said. They're not as hot or as gentrified as Sherman Hill, but they're catching on and have a lot of potential.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 PM

If you don't mind a little driving, you might want to try Ames. It's about 30 miles north of Des Moines on I-35. Ames is kind of straight-laced for a college town, but it's generally a little more on the liberal side than Des Moines. I'm not sure what the commute would be from Ames to Grimes, probably somewhere around 30-45 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa