U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,023 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Ames, IA. I am planning to move from florida to Iowa (i know its a big stretch) but given the good job opportunity as per my career plus pay scale, i am thinking about this moving option. I am scared though, given the size of the town and location. I am a single guy in 30s and i am worried that i will die of boredom if i move to Ames. How is the dating scene in Ames? Also, how is the lifestyle there? Do we get to meet new people in Ames, nightlife etc? I am from west palm beach, florida and its pretty fun place with lot of activities and lot of chances to meet new people which kept me going there. Can anyone give me suggestions about Ames? I really really appreciate it folks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 07:38 PM

3,543 posts, read 3,592,163 times
Iowa State is in Ames. You have the potential to meet some nice graduate students. There are also some young professionals who work in the area.

You're also within 40 minutes of Des Moines, the capital city. There are also young professionals down here, plus a slightly larger concert venue and dining scene.

I suspect it'll be what you make it. If you just work and hang out in your apartment watching movies, you'll probably be miserable. On the other hand, if you make an effort to get out, join some activities you enjoy (bicycling is huge here), you'll make friends in no time. That's true of anywhere.

A good attitude will also help you get through the winter. I won't lie: after living in FL you'll find the cold absolutely brutal your first winter. Be willing to wear long underwear and a parka! If you stay, the second winter will be easier.

Please try to visit for at least a long weekend before you move here, even if you feel that you can't afford it. There are some huge cultural differences between Ames and W. Palm Beach.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:21 PM

370 posts, read 367,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I suspect it'll be what you make it. If you just work and hang out in your apartment watching movies, you'll probably be miserable. On the other hand, if you make an effort to get out, join some activities you enjoy (bicycling is huge here), you'll make friends in no time. That's true of anywhere.
Unless the person loves watching movies at home and hates bicycling...in which case what you just said is horrible advice. RAGBRAI is nothing more than a rolling kegger for people who need fake pageantry to go along with their alcohol addiction. It is in no way an event that can be taken seriously by people who simply enjoy biking.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:13 AM

1,358 posts, read 1,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Unless the person loves watching movies at home and hates bicycling...in which case what you just said is horrible advice. RAGBRAI is nothing more than a rolling kegger for people who need fake pageantry to go along with their alcohol addiction. It is in no way an event that can be taken seriously by people who simply enjoy biking.
This statement is so very untrue. While you will find partying at all levels, many more are very serious bike riders from all over the country ... doctors, lawyers, ministers, engineers, etc, (the minister of my previous church participated every year ... the last time at 78 years of age).

Old 05-29-2015, 09:52 AM

7,266 posts, read 6,857,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
This statement is so very untrue. While you will find partying at all levels, many more are very serious bike riders from all over the country ... doctors, lawyers, ministers, engineers, etc, (the minister of my previous church participated every year ... the last time at 78 years of age).
And Lance Armstrong, who is a person who enjoys biking, has done it more than once and has praised it. But I guess he wouldn't know anything about that.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:03 AM

194 posts, read 161,673 times
I'm from WPB too and moved 2 yrs ago. I live in Ankeny, but we considered Ames. I also train in Ames too. I have a family so I'm different than you, but if I was single Ames would better. Take advantage of University is my advice and do some sort of physical hobby or exercise or you will lose your mind. Boone is a good place to go for biking and skiing plus ledges state park is probably the most scenic spot in central Iowa.

Nightlife will not compare to WPB in anyway. Boca Raton has a more vibrant night life than Iowa. Maybe take some trips to downtown Des moines for that, but it is a joke compared to City Place. I would also strongly consider living somewhere where you can access both Ames and Des Moines to maximize quality of life. There isn't really any traffic here compared to south FL. Only around the usual commuting times and Ames gets crowded when students move in since pop probably doubles around that time.

I'm just gonna be real with you you have to get into something or make your own fun here. Otherwise you will be planning your getaway within 6 months. Even Ames with its college town vibe is still very homogeneous. They brag about how the school is more diverse than ever and back it up with a statistic which states the percentage of students from Iowa that enroll there is now less than 95%. Let that sink in for a second.

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!! Taking weekend trips to Chicago, Minneapolis, etc. will be some of the best choices you will make here. People that live here underestimate how easy driving to other states cities and states is, lots of small towners that have barely left the state and only to travel to Kansas City or Minneapolis. You will love that aspect of living here coming from South FL. You can get to Chicago in about the same it takes to drive from WPB to St. Petersburg.

Buy thermals, wool socks for winter and one nice jacket to get you going. I moved here around thanksgiving right before one of the top 10 coldest winters in Iowa history and made it through fine with nothing more than wool socks, thermals/layers and a light cordaroy jacket I got from the gap years ago. I'm pretty lean too. You'll be alright.

Oh and attached garages are kind if rare up here for whatever reason, so if u want one start looking now. Ask me any other questions u have abouth FL vs Iowa or whatever

Last edited by Juice Malone; 05-29-2015 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-30-2015, 06:08 AM

370 posts, read 367,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
And Lance Armstrong, who is a person who enjoys biking, has done it more than once and has praised it. But I guess he wouldn't know anything about that.
Lance Armstrong? You mean the doper who lied about cheating for years and was sued by the federal government to recover money given to his cycling team?

Yeah. I can believe a drug user who lied about everything would be drawn to RAGBRAI. There are so many others with substance issues like he has participating in the event.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:29 AM

2,896 posts, read 2,330,629 times
Let's not get sidetracked from the original point of why RAGBRAI was mentioned here.
One of the foremost recreational attributes Iowa is known for is cycling. It has a national rep for it among true biking afficionados. I have friends from here in metro Atlanta who are serious bikers who have made the trek up to Iowa for RAGBRAI & loved it enough to repeat the event.
As such, it is a valid recreational aspect of Iowa and is a good subject for inclusion here.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:51 AM

3,543 posts, read 3,592,163 times
Thank you, Atler. Yes, cycling in general is big here. There are also many smaller riding events and plenty of opportunities for scenic solo travel. It is one of the aspects I enjoy about summers in Iowa.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 AM

7,266 posts, read 6,857,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Lance Armstrong? You mean the doper who lied about cheating for years and was sued by the federal government to recover money given to his cycling team?

Yeah. I can believe a drug user who lied about everything would be drawn to RAGBRAI. There are so many others with substance issues like he has participating in the event.
He's still a well known person and avid bike rider who enjoyed the event. I dont hold his opinion lower just because he used steroids.

Anyone who knows anything about the varied terrain of the state of Iowa knows that's not an easy bike ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa