U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2015, 01:55 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,911 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I know every city has it's up's and downs, but with a city the size of Burlington,
(Iowa) there's no excuse for such a rising crime problem. It is my understanding
from alot of sources that you people have so many Chicago gang members there,
and this has been going on for a very long time. There is even denial by many long
time residents there that this is even happening, because they don't want to admit
that there is a serious gang problem in your city. How did this happen. How did the
get from Chicago to Burlington? Overnight? Do you think they just wake up one morning
and say to themselves, let's go take over Burlington? No, I don't think so. Something
happened, so how did it happen and who knew this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2015, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Jonesboro
2,964 posts, read 2,655,430 times
Reputation: 3007
Please support such a contention with more than hearsay, as in "It is my understanding..." & supply factual crime data.
Similarly on a thread here in the Iowa forum a couple of years ago, I found a claim by another member that there were "...many murders in Mason City..".
In rebuttal, I linked the C-D data page on Mason City & it's crime stats that showed that to not be the case at all. In fact, murder was and is a very rare occurrence in Mason City.
So, this time rather than me do the work here & provide the stats for Burlington, how about if you do it, silent-sentry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 04:59 PM
 
8,167 posts, read 7,835,096 times
Reputation: 6327
This isn't a new thing. Back in the late 80s there was discussion in the media in Burlington about the influx of gang members from Chicago. it's not a suddenly new issue.
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 08:31 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,246 times
Reputation: 10
I don't think of Burlington (as a whole) as being unsafe. There may be areas that have higher crime rates, just like many other cities in the US, but overall Burlington seems like a decent place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2015, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Calera, AL
988 posts, read 1,091,087 times
Reputation: 1171
As a whole, Burlington has somewhat higher crime than the US average

High for Iowa standards? Absolutely. But it's nowhere near as bad as say, Gary or East St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2015, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Des Moines Metro
4,587 posts, read 4,517,382 times
Reputation: 7926
My sense just from passing through was that it's like Des Moines: there are several small areas where there's a concentration of druggies and gang members. Avoid those areas after dark and you'll be fine. The police do a pretty good job of containing the problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2015, 01:05 PM
 
8,167 posts, read 7,835,096 times
Reputation: 6327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
My sense just from passing through was that it's like Des Moines: there are several small areas where there's a concentration of druggies and gang members. Avoid those areas after dark and you'll be fine. The police do a pretty good job of containing the problems.

It's not even as scary as Des Moines, IMO, and Des Moines isn't that scary.
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 01:07 PM
 
Location: MetroWest Boston
316 posts, read 223,765 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
As a whole, Burlington has somewhat higher crime than the US average

High for Iowa standards? Absolutely. But it's nowhere near as bad as say, Gary or East St. Louis.
That's kind of the point though, and is what makes it abnormally high. Burlington is an isolated city in Iowa and well removed from a major city, unlike Gary or East St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 01:14 PM
 
Location: MetroWest Boston
316 posts, read 223,765 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Please support such a contention with more than hearsay, as in "It is my understanding..." & supply factual crime data.
Similarly on a thread here in the Iowa forum a couple of years ago, I found a claim by another member that there were "...many murders in Mason City..".
In rebuttal, I linked the C-D data page on Mason City & it's crime stats that showed that to not be the case at all. In fact, murder was and is a very rare occurrence in Mason City.
So, this time rather than me do the work here & provide the stats for Burlington, how about if you do it, silent-sentry.
I have to disagree with the necessity of your request. This forum serves a greater purpose that can't be found from many other sources - people who don't live in or aren't familiar with an area can get insight from people who do. For example, I've seen this site benefit many people moving from one part of the country to another, who want firsthand information from locals and residents that can't be communicated through statistics, i.e.: Greatshcools.com may rate a school average at best, but local parents can tell you from firsthand that it's actually an improving hidden gem, or, houses in this part of town are cheaper - why?

In the case of Burlington, it is immensely dependent on firsthand insight. Statistics cannot communicate the fact that 'big-city crimes' such as frequent gang-related shootings and assaults suddenly became all too common, in a rural Iowa town where 10-20 years ago these kind of things were unheard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2015, 01:31 PM
 
Location: MetroWest Boston
316 posts, read 223,765 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent-sentry View Post
I know every city has it's up's and downs, but with a city the size of Burlington,
(Iowa) there's no excuse for such a rising crime problem. It is my understanding
from alot of sources that you people have so many Chicago gang members there,
and this has been going on for a very long time. There is even denial by many long
time residents there that this is even happening, because they don't want to admit
that there is a serious gang problem in your city. How did this happen. How did the
get from Chicago to Burlington? Overnight? Do you think they just wake up one morning
and say to themselves, let's go take over Burlington? No, I don't think so. Something
happened, so how did it happen and who knew this?
One popular rumor is that Tyson (a meat production company) advertised Southeastern Iowa jobs in the Chicago area, and would provide bus transporation to a town near Burlington. The quality of the jobs and the location of the advertising brought many people from the high-crime areas of Chicago into the area for work. Burlington, being the largest town in the area, was an ideal place to find a cheap place to rent. Cost of living is very low. In addition, the welfare system offers a very easy approval process, comparitively. Once people from the inner city realized these components, traffic from Chicago into Burlington and surrounding areas increased rapidly. What was presumed to be people initially seeking honest work turned into word spreading about how you can cross the border from Illinois just into Iowa (Burlington in particular), rent a place for maybe $300-$400 a month, and claim welfare benefits. In fact, the system was so weakly regulated, I've heard firsthand from landlords who have had tenants claim that they were able to keep Illinois welfare benefits, but also pay the low rent in Burlington and receive Iowa benefits at the same time. From here, the low cost of living, low housing costs, etc., seem to be an ideal spot for this to continue. As a result, big city/gang related types of crime became somewhat common in this town.

Again, this is all heresay, but maybe it is that because this type of data isn't recorded; the statistics to support or refute these things simply aren't there. However, I have heard one statistic quoted to me that you can hunt down if you like - Around 2000, about 5% of the area was on some sort of welfare. By 2012, this number was up to around 25%.

It is also important to note that observation can also tell you that not all crime is committed by 'big-city implants' or gangs. Burlington has had, and continues to have, a growing element of poverty that came about organically. There are plenty of people with roots and generations of family in the area that commit equally outrageous crime.

Since this entire post is based on heresay and observation, I would like to add that the general impression given of Burlington is that it is an awful, unsafe place. This is not the case. This was once a great, wholesome and safe town to raise a family and have a simple life - much of that element still exists. What generates the negative impression is the unusually high crime rate for a city of this nature (well removed from any major city, history of being a low crime, safe and quiet town). While there is an abnormal element of high crime, particularly when compared to the town's history, the city is not unsafe, and if you are looking for that positive wholesome lifestyle, that element is still strongly present, just no longer exclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top