U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:24 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,624,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
No one knows what Trump really believes so vote for him at your peril.
I've convinced myself that he's a Clinton plant. It occurred to me after listening to some of her comments when she was in Fairfield.

My initial reaction was that she needed to get back on track with her campaign and stop responding to his ridiculous misogynistic statements. Then it hit me that maybe he was making those comments so that she could elicit sympathy as the object of his ridicule, then make herself look good with her responses.

After all, she can't take on Sanders because she can't risk alienating his supporters and having them go to third-party candidates if she gets the nomination, and she wants to stay on good terms with him so she can be in the running for VP if he gets the nomination. And there would be no point to taking on O'Malley as the media has done an outstanding job of making the public believe that there are only two candidates for the Democratic nomination. So her old buddy Trump makes a perfect patsy.

If Trump and Clinton get the nominations, he's so close to the deep end that it would be pretty easy for him to jump off and lose the support of any voter with the slightest strand of rationality. If Clinton gets the nomination and Trump doesn't, he can run as an independent and split the conservative vote with the Republican nominee which would assure Clinton the victory a la Ross Perot in 1992.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 12:37 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,542,391 times
I’ve pondered the Clinton plant conspiracy theory but I don’t think it is realistic to think that ego-driven Donald would allow himself to be anyone’s puppet. If he doing this, he is doing it for himself. Secondly, the people he has hired and is working for him in Iowa aren’t naive or stupid and are individuals who have been involved in getting Republican’s elected in the past. If he was relying on his own people to run the campaign here, that might be a bit more believable. I find it hard to believe he could pull the wool over the eyes of all these insider/consultant types.

I can’t figure out his motivation, but he is essentially the first candidate troll (i.e…think internet troll) running for Prez. Everything he does is planned…for a reason…the hard part is figuring out what that reason is (besides to get a reaction). Does he really want to be president? Is he doing it for the thrill (e.g…has always had goal of running for Prez…or maybe someone challenged him and told him he could never be Prez). , is he really fed up with Washington politics and thinks it is time to blow it up?

I think there is more of a chance he is actually tired of big government, big deficits, burdensome regulations (which he has had to deal with every day in his business ventures) and thus wants to assure an establishment candidate/career politician type does NOT win the White House and continue the country down the same destructive path it has been on for several decades now. If he believes (as many now do) that there is no difference between the Republican and the Democratic party ruling classes, he would have a vested interest in diverting and disrupting the power players that keep serving up the same candidates every four years. Let’s face it, that is happening so far this cycle and he is playing a part in that.

If he gets elected himself or via his disruption assures that there is no Bush, Christie, Clinton, Kasich, Walker (gone), Perry (gone), Graham (gone), Pataiki (gone), O’Malley, and the like as next President, he will have “won”.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
she wants to stay on good terms with him so she can be in the running for VP if he gets the nomination.
You're not serious here, are you??

The only reason she is playing nice with him, is to your first point . She'll eventually need his supporters.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:19 PM

3,168 posts, read 3,032,014 times
And none of you are actually seriously thinking that there is any level of "nice play" going on now between the Clinton & Trump camps, right?
Frankly I can't see many Trump supporters ever landing in Hillary's vote column should she be the Democratic nominee.
On a related note, I'm delighted to say that I'll be visiting Des Moines over the caucus weekend.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:28 PM

^ we're talking about Sander supporters, not Trump's.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:54 PM

^^ Thanks. I see that "good terms" line now in it's original context. I lost it in reading through the comments on Trump/Clinton.

So, as Gilda Radner's Emily Litella used to say decades ago on SNL, "Never Mind."

Old 12-31-2015, 06:38 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
On a related note, I'm delighted to say that I'll be visiting Des Moines over the caucus weekend.
I so hope there is excellent weather for you that weekend! You're brave planning travel during winter when weather can turn on a dime.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:24 PM

"Brave" or foolish, eh?
I've got a darned good winter coat that I'll be bringing along that was a gift from my mom one winter when I visited her in Wisconsin. It's probably the warmest coat that I've ever owned.
A winter thing I really miss & seldom get to experience anymore is the crunch sound made while walking on a sidewalk of packed down snow.
That and marveling at the bright night time glow of lights reflecting back and forth between a snow cover & an overhead layer of clouds. That's almost eerie in it's brightness.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:59 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
A winter thing I really miss & seldom get to experience anymore is the crunch sound made while walking on a sidewalk of packed down snow.
I'll bet it'll be in the 40s and foggy!

Seriously, this winter so far is reminding me of Ohio with the endless freeze-thaw cycles. It's going to be 37 tomorrow. Not a lot of snow to crunch underfoot . . . instead there are blocks of ice and refrozen puddles on the sidewalks, making it difficult to walk. I'd rather have a snow pack!

I went to Walmart today. I noticed about half of the customers were wearing running shoes. The other half had on hiking boots (or similar).

Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,624,346 times
Quote:
I’ve pondered the Clinton plant conspiracy theory but I don’t think it is realistic to think that ego-driven Donald would allow himself to be anyone’s puppet. If he doing this, he is doing it for himself.
I didn't mean to imply that he's playing her patsy, but at the same time she has a pretty large ego herself. If anything is going on I'm sure each of them considers himself/herself the conductor.

Quote:
Secondly, the people he has hired and is working for him in Iowa aren’t naive or stupid and are individuals who have been involved in getting Republican’s elected in the past. If he was relying on his own people to run the campaign here, that might be a bit more believable. I find it hard to believe he could pull the wool over the eyes of all these insider/consultant types.
Who says he has to pull the wool over their eyes? These political strategists work for the highest bidder, and Trump has deep pockets. Integrity isn't a word I usually associate with these folks.

Quote:
I can’t figure out his motivation, but he is essentially the first candidate troll (i.e…think internet troll) running for Prez. Everything he does is planned…for a reason…the hard part is figuring out what that reason is (besides to get a reaction). Does he really want to be president? Is he doing it for the thrill (e.g…has always had goal of running for Prez…or maybe someone challenged him and told him he could never be Prez). , is he really fed up with Washington politics and thinks it is time to blow it up?
Before I decided he has to be working with Hillary - and it honestly hadn't occurred to me until her appearance in Fairfield a couple of weeks ago, although I now know that this theory had made the rounds a few months ago - I felt like he just jumped in to try to get some specific discussion points on the table early, thinking he could drop out once the conversation was moving in a direction he wanted it to go. I don't think he anticipated getting as much support as he has; if he's not in cahoots with Clinton, he may now feel stuck in the race for a nomination that he doesn't really want and is making all these off-the-wall remarks in an effort to sabotage his own campaign.

Quote:
You're not serious here, are you??

The only reason she is playing nice with him, is to your first point . She'll eventually need his supporters.
I'm totally serious here. I think Hillary Clinton is desperate to be the first female President; at 68, the chances of Bernie (age 74) kicking the bucket in the next few years and leaving her in charge are better than her chances of getting elected four or eight years from now.

Whether or not Bernie would take her on is another matter. He doesn't need her supporters as they are mostly Democratic partisans who are likely to vote for the Democratic candidate regardless of who it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or