U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 5,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Well, I think we've located the source of your psychosis. You simply don't like people who are liberal. That means there are scores of places (many of those much more liberal than the Quad Cities) that you would find equally objectionable.

So, your dislike of the Quad Cities isn't based on any real or quantifiable data, just your intolerance towards people who don't share your exact political views.
I think I presented plenty of quantifiable data in the previous posts with links. I am certainly not intolerant of the views of others. Everyone is entitled to express their opinions/views, which I totally support as that's what makes this country great. If we suppressed others from expressing their opinions, that would be in conflict with our founding principles. This board asked the question, "Is Iowa Life Really That Great" and I'm just expressing my opinions and observations. In my opinion, Iowa life is not that great for someone of my background, views, and prior geographic location. Iowa is a liberal state, which is simply stated as a fact....not an attack on anyone. Sure, there are conservative folks here, however, as a population, there aren't many states in the union more liberal than this one. I am not a liberal, hence the reason why I probably feel like a fish out of water. I think the majority of conservative folks from the south who relocate to this area would likely feel the same way. I will also state that we arrived here in the winter, and I haven't had the chance to experience an Iowa summer yet. Maybe my opinion will change a bit, but only time will tell. Maybe I will change a bit more the longer I'm here. Nonetheless, I do appreciate everyone's opinions on this subject!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 12:12 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,672,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcgtrr88 View Post
I think I presented plenty of quantifiable data in the previous posts with links. I am certainly not intolerant of the views of others. Everyone is entitled to express their opinions/views, which I totally support as that's what makes this country great. If we suppressed others from expressing their opinions, that would be in conflict with our founding principles. This board asked the question, "Is Iowa Life Really That Great" and I'm just expressing my opinions and observations. In my opinion, Iowa life is not that great for someone of my background, views, and prior geographic location. Iowa is a liberal state, which is simply stated as a fact....not an attack on anyone. Sure, there are conservative folks here, however, as a population, there aren't many states in the union more liberal than this one. I am not a liberal, hence the reason why I probably feel like a fish out of water. I think the majority of conservative folks from the south who relocate to this area would likely feel the same way. I will also state that we arrived here in the winter, and I haven't had the chance to experience an Iowa summer yet. Maybe my opinion will change a bit, but only time will tell. Maybe I will change a bit more the longer I'm here. Nonetheless, I do appreciate everyone's opinions on this subject!
How is Iowa so liberal? I'm not saying it is a conservative's paradise by any means, but if you look historically, we are a purple state, not blue. Also for your consideration:

Moderate Republican Governor
Republican controlled State House
Democrats control Senate, but by only 1 seat

Nationally:
Both Senators are Republicans
House members are all Republicans but 1.

Many, many more states in the union are more liberal than Iowa.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:34 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,184,429 times
The Quad Cities are traditionally Blue, but most of the rest of Iowa has a very Red sociocultural vibe, especially the Southern and Central areas of the state. The poster who is disliking the Quad cities would probably be very happy in the Des Moines area, to mention just one place. The Quad Cities certainly aren't representative of Iowa as a whole. In fact, the whole point of my earlier post is that you can't generalize about "Iowa", because there are so many very, very different places in the state.

And yes, the Iowa forum is very quick to jump on any poster who even slightly criticizes the state, even when the criticism is based on the personal experience of the poster.

But that's just the people who post regularly - that behavior doesn't represent Iowans as a whole .

Old 04-13-2016, 01:35 PM

3,176 posts, read 4,639,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
How is Iowa so liberal? I'm not saying it is a conservative's paradise by any means, but if you look historically, we are a purple state, not blue. Also for your consideration:

Moderate Republican Governor
Republican controlled State House
Democrats control Senate, but by only 1 seat

Nationally:
Both Senators are Republicans
House members are all Republicans but 1.

Many, many more states in the union are more liberal than Iowa.

Iowa as a whole is a very conservative state with very strong liberal leanings only in the larger cities and college towns. Quad cities is a known manufacturing hub and thus union and liberal leaning plus close to Chicago. Iowa City/Cedar Rapids is about as liberal as San Francisco. Ames, Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Des Moines and Dubuque are strongly Democrat. The rest of the state including Sioux City have very strong conservative leanings and rivals South Dakota and North Dakota in it's level of conservatism.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:19 PM

49 posts, read 39,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post
What is it with these Iowa forums? Why do most of the posts seem to turn into some kind of personal attack towards others?
I've observed that many Iowan both on and off these forums seem to respond to legitimate criticisms of their state with either personal attacks or illogical and defensive counter arguments. I don't totally understand why. Maybe it's disrupts their cognitive dissonance about choosing to live there.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:31 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,672,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitae View Post
I've observed that many Iowan both on and off these forums seem to respond to legitimate criticisms of their state with either personal attacks or illogical and defensive counter arguments. I don't totally understand why. Maybe it's disrupts their cognitive dissonance about choosing to live there.
So where do you find yourself that you are regularly able to observe Iowans that are reacting to criticisms of their state? How does this even come up??

I find this to be an odd comment.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:01 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,012,260 times
It would have been if I moved there but, alas the relationship ended. However, everyone I've met from this great state has impressed me from their kindness, to hospitality, to work ethic

Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 PM

23 posts, read 22,682 times
Counting down the days til we are done planting our farm land up so i can get the hell out of here in July. 6 long years stuck on a farm in iowa has been detrimental to my mental social and cultural health. i'm almost freeeeee yessss. i know my opinion doesnt count to the bored ass Iowa trolls. ive lived hundreds of locations around the world and the people in iowa are generally the dumbest and most sexist and openly racist ive encountered.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:28 PM

49 posts, read 39,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
So where do you find yourself that you are regularly able to observe Iowans that are reacting to criticisms of their state? How does this even come up??

I find this to be an odd comment.
I used to live there and still know many people who do. I've pondered moving back on several occasions due to the number of connections I have there and any time I bring it up with anyone who lives there and express reasons I'm unsure about it people act like I'm either insane or trash talking their beloved grandmother. I also see it happen on this forum a lot. Like if I mention the above average crime rate in cedar rapids and how, shockingly, I'd prefer to live somewhere with a below average crime rate, I inevitably hear "crime happens everywhere" as though the mere existence of crime is dichotomous rayher than something that can exist in various quantities.

I guess it's not fair for me to say "iowa" or "iowans" though I'm really only talking about cedar rapids. I know very little about the rest of the state.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 PM

546 posts, read 466,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Iowa as a whole is a very conservative state with very strong liberal leanings only in the larger cities and college towns. Quad cities is a known manufacturing hub and thus union and liberal leaning plus close to Chicago. Iowa City/Cedar Rapids is about as liberal as San Francisco. Ames, Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Des Moines and Dubuque are strongly Democrat. The rest of the state including Sioux City have very strong conservative leanings and rivals South Dakota and North Dakota in it's level of conservatism.
LOL!!!!! Yes, Iowa City is very liberal.... but no where near as liberal as San Francisco! Have you lived in both areas? I have. If you have not, it would explain this ridiculous statement. As for Cedar Rapids, NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!! It leans slightly conservative if anything. Yes, there are some liberal pockets, but overall, it is a family community with more traditional leanings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or