Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:22 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitae View Post
I've observed that many Iowan both on and off these forums seem to respond to legitimate criticisms of their state with either personal attacks or illogical and defensive counter arguments. I don't totally understand why. Maybe it's disrupts their cognitive dissonance about choosing to live there.
This sort of behavior is not unique to Iowans, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 10:56 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Since my initial post I had another friend move to the state. They live in what's called the "Creative Corridor?" And, wait for it...they also LOVE it! Definitely going to plan a visit now that the white stuff is going away.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:43 AM

576 posts, read 831,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Since my initial post I had another friend move to the state. They live in what's called the "Creative Corridor?" And, wait for it...they also LOVE it! Definitely going to plan a visit now that the white stuff is going away.
The newness of Iowa wears off pretty quickly.... Usually about the time they get their first property tax bill or do their income taxes for the first time. They then take a hard look around them and wonder where all this money is going.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:34 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Default Is Iowa life that great..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
The newness of Iowa wears off pretty quickly.... Usually about the time they get their first property tax bill or do their income taxes for the first time. They then take a hard look around them and wonder where all this money is going.

I've repeatedly made posts with links here on the Iowa Forum before about the comparative tax situations of Iowa as related to the rest of the U.S.
Data found at The Tax Foundation site reveals that Iowa is smack in the middle of the pack in overall taxes assessed and the Foundation further notes that the state in recent years has improved it's relative standing among the other 49 states.
As I have also noted before, there is a wide variation among the tax rates assessed by various counties &/or municipalities so some people rightfully can say that their taxes are or were high but that must be balanced against the very low tax assessments that many Iowans have. It all balances out to that middle of the pack tax ranking I cited above.
Much of the tax revenue goes into educational funding both at the 2ndary & university level. There's a reason why Iowa's public education system is well ahead of the ranking & spending levels in states such as Arizona where you live & Colorado where a retired educator friend of mine looks in disgust at their educational system which is viewed as in relative decline.
In Arizona, where my dad lived, there is currently an ongoing crisis exodus of teachers leaving the schools that the state can't seem to get a grip on.
Another factor that is particularly peculiar to Iowa & it's budget is the enormous farm to market supporting road system that is found in the state. Developed decades ago to support the intense agriculture system as a transportation link to get farm goods to market, the state is now saddled with the expense & upkeep of a huge road system, something which most other states, with the exception of a number of neighboring Midwestern states, do not have on a comparable scale.
Stepping back to look at the university level of education in Iowa, there is a reason why Iowa boasts 2 schools, Iowa State & the University of Iowa, that are among the very select 60 members of the A.A.U. (American Association of Universities).
Schools don't get or keep membership in that highly regarded association unless they meet the high critical standards of the A.A.U.
The bottom line here is that I personally can see where Iowa's mid level taxation rate & the resultant spending goes & that it gets results.

Last edited by atler8; 05-06-2016 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: added an explanation of an abbrevation

Old 05-06-2016, 10:32 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I've repeatedly made posts with links here on the Iowa Forum before about the comparative tax situations of Iowa as related to the rest of the U.S.
Data found at The Tax Foundation site reveals that Iowa is smack in the middle of the pack in overall taxes assessed and the Foundation further notes that the state in recent years has improved it's relative standing among the other 49 states.
As I have also noted before, there is a wide variation among the tax rates assessed by various counties &/or municipalities so some people rightfully can say that their taxes are or were high but that must be balanced against the very low tax assessments that many Iowans have. It all balances out to that middle of the pack tax ranking I cited above.
Much of the tax revenue goes into educational funding both at the 2ndary & university level. There's a reason why Iowa's public education system is well ahead of the ranking & spending levels in states such as Arizona where you live & Colorado where a retired educator friend of mine looks in disgust at their educational system which is viewed as in relative decline.
In Arizona, where my dad lived, there is currently an ongoing crisis exodus of teachers leaving the schools that the state can't seem to get a grip on.
Another factor that is particularly peculiar to Iowa & it's budget is the enormous farm to market supporting road system that is found in the state. Developed decades ago to support the intense agriculture system as a transportation link to get farm goods to market, the state is now saddled with the expense & upkeep of a huge road system, something which most other states, with the exception of a number of neighboring Midwestern states, do not have on a comparable scale.
Stepping back to look at the university level of education in Iowa, there is a reason why Iowa boasts 2 schools, Iowa State & the University of Iowa, that are among the very select 60 members of the A.A.U. (American Association of Universities).
Schools don't get or keep membership in that highly regarded association unless they meet the high critical standards of the A.A.U.
The bottom line here is that I personally can see where Iowa's mid level taxation rate & the resultant spending goes & that it gets results.
You make two excellent points. As much as I have been an advocate for Arizona (because of the natural beauty of the state) one of my biggest disappointments has been the way the legislature views and funds education. Let's face it, we put money in the areas we care about. Not that simply throwing money at the problem will solve all the issues, but under-funding is definitely not the answer. I grew up in Massachusetts (better known as "taxachusetts") where they definitely believed in funding education. Iowa, in my opinion, has done a fair job with its educational system. No comparison there.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:33 PM

824 posts, read 713,195 times
I don't think Iowa has one of the best public education systems in the United States but I think it has a lot more to do with environments Than funding. Iowa has five times as many ESL students than 20 years ago. I think immigrants are really good for Iowa but I think many school districts in Iowa may be unprepared for this immigrant influx. Also as many small towns continue to decay, I think that also puts stresses on the school enviroment. But there is also good news, The Des Moines Public School district has continued to make
Improvements even though it is becoming poorer and poorer. There is a national journal article on it.

Why Des Moines Can Be a Model for Urban Schools - The Atlantic

Old 05-06-2016, 09:53 PM

576 posts, read 831,416 times
atler8, not meaning to start an argument, but I personally don't care where Iowa ranks on one tax website. The taxes are outrageous - in my opinion! My property and income taxes in AZ are less than half of what I paid in Iowa - and I have a similar house and similar paying job here.

As far as education goes, I can understand where that would be important to people who have kids. However, for those of us who don't, we do not want to pay thousands of dollars a year to educate someone else's kids. In Iowa, over half of my property tax went to the local school district!

Everyone has a different perspective of what is important. I was just trying to sound a warning that people should thoroughly research the tax situation before moving to Iowa... lest they get sticker shock!

Old 05-07-2016, 09:33 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
atler8, not meaning to start an argument, but I personally don't care where Iowa ranks on one tax website. The taxes are outrageous - in my opinion! My property and income taxes in AZ are less than half of what I paid in Iowa - and I have a similar house and similar paying job here.

As far as education goes, I can understand where that would be important to people who have kids. However, for those of us who don't, we do not want to pay thousands of dollars a year to educate someone else's kids. In Iowa, over half of my property tax went to the local school district!

Everyone has a different perspective of what is important. I was just trying to sound a warning that people should thoroughly research the tax situation before moving to Iowa... lest they get sticker shock!

In SD 60% to 70% of property taxes goes to the schools. How taxes are allocated varies from state to state and there really isn't a definite right or wrong answer as to which taxing arm pays for education. Granted, some parts of the U.S. have ridiculous monies going for education with little to show for it. Across the state of Iowa you can see the benefits of a state that values education. The number of uneducated illiterate idiots like you see being interviewed or rioting in other parts of the country are huge in comparison with this area.

My thousands of dollars go now to pay for other kids' educations. When we had kids in school, someone else's dollars helped educate MY kids. All that's happening is you've reached a point in your life where your tax money doesn't directly affect you when it comes to education. You've reached a different stage in your life. AZ and IA are totally different states. Other than retirement havens, Arizona has become a very dangerous place to live in comparison to Iowa. People up here will gladly pay higher taxes for a safer lifestyle and having a better school system with kids still taught with a degree of old style values.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:40 AM

27 posts, read 43,856 times
Quote:
My property and income taxes in AZ are less than half of what I paid in Iowa - and I have a similar house and similar paying job here.
We moved to IA from VA and experienced the same thing. Higher income tax, more than double real estate property tax, comparable personal property tax, higher sales tax, higher gasoline tax...and other than a YMCA-like community center (that requires a membership fee for most things!), I'm not sure where it goes.

IA had a reputation for good schools, but that's not as true anymore. Public schools here are underfunded, and it's only getting worse. Education funding has been the political football in IA legislature in the two years we have lived here. State law constrains what school districts can spend...so even if they want to raise taxes to fund more teachers, they can't.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
atler8, not meaning to start an argument, but I personally don't care where Iowa ranks on one tax website. The taxes are outrageous - in my opinion!
Is it correct to say that you don't wish to look at facts or figures, but instead wish to make an emotional argument based instead on opinion only?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa