U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:53 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,069,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post
Sometimes the opposite is true, though. I personally have found it more difficult to fit into a small community if you do not fit the 'mold' of what the average person is like/is expected to be like in that area, whereas in a larger area, people tend to be more open and accepting of others who are different than themselves.
I'll have to agree with this analysis. I spent a lot of time (over a year) in a small community just north of Cedar Rapids (pop 5000) and found there to be a lot of gossip by the locals and some sneering looks. I also spent time in a town further north of Waterloo with the same attitude (pop 5000). Both these towns didn't have a college which probably makes a difference. It's been 5 years since I was in Fairfield but I was not impressed ... not even with their university. It may have changed some in the meantime though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 11:45 AM

8,881 posts, read 15,709,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
I lived there for a while in about...1997-98. I was not impressed. The number of businesses seemed very limited. Everybody shopped at Walmart. It looks like they have opened a Hy-Vee since then though, so maybe there are other new businesses as well.
Interesting. I think my first trip to Fairfield - other than passing through on 34 - was in 1994 when I started dating a girl from the area. There was a Hy-Vee there at that time, and it was already several years old. Might have even been on their second building.

Update: Just to make sure I was remembering correctly, I dug a little deeper. Turns out Hy-Vee has been in Fairfield since 1953. It was the first store opened by Hyde & Vrendenburg under the Hy-Vee moniker.

Care to try again?

Last edited by duster1979; 01-11-2016 at 12:09 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 12:55 PM

338 posts, read 233,569 times
Hmm. Maybe I was wrong. It seemed like we had to go to Walmart for almost anything. Maybe I wasn't impressed with the Hy-Vee for some reason (and I detest Walmart, so it's not like I would have preferred Walmart over Hy-Vee for anything). I didn't spend a lot of time in Fairfield. I was working for my parent's small business near Des Moines a lot that summer and usually just in Fairfield on the weekends. Then we moved. The only positive thing I remember about being there was going to some little local ice cream place. Otherwise, I don't remember much. (I also made a lot of trips to Iowa City, and stopped in Kalona for cheese curds, which I read has closed ).

I'm not trying to poke at Fairfield because it's a small town or anything. I just didn't think it stood out as being anything fantastic. But perhaps it's better (i.e. has more options, more energy) than other small towns in that part of the state, what with the university. Maybe if I had been in a different stage in my life then, I would have sought out more from the town.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:26 AM

5,799 posts, read 4,846,233 times
Well, I'll step in. I lived nearish to Fairfield in 2011-12. I met many nice people who do live there. Fairfied in no way is typical of small town Iowa, due to the University and the people it draws. I wanted to like it, but just didn't. It doesn't have the natural beauty of Northeast Iowa, and it was gd hot the few times I made it there for a visit.

But, it's still an interesting town. There's a new "tiny house" community: Tiny House Village | SoFair Farms Community - shared farm ownership with benefits through community participation & contribution; a worthwhile investment in sustainability... | Tom Greene From their website: "SoFair Farms is an intentional community on 20 acres in Fairfield, IA. We support organic farming, local enterprise initiatives, and sustainable community development."

OP may very well want to explore Fairfield. I'm sure they'd meet many like minded folks there, and it may be right up their alley.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:38 PM

280 posts, read 265,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynomad2 View Post
We are trying to decidWe're looking primarily for an affordable yet "earthy" city with outdoor opportunities nearby. Also vegan-friendly
Fairfield.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:10 PM

49 posts, read 35,732 times
I would consider Iowa one of the least interesting states to live in within the context of "living outdoors." I mean, there is a lot of open space yes, there's just not much going on in terms of scenery, flora, or fauna. Compare it to a state like Minnesota which has thousands of amazing glacially carved lakes or Montana which has mountain ranges, trout streams, and elk herds. Iowa has.....nothing really.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:29 AM

187 posts, read 142,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitae View Post
I would consider Iowa one of the least interesting states to live in within the context of "living outdoors." I mean, there is a lot of open space yes, there's just not much going on in terms of scenery, flora, or fauna. Compare it to a state like Minnesota which has thousands of amazing glacially carved lakes or Montana which has mountain ranges, trout streams, and elk herds. Iowa has.....nothing really.
I personally don't think it's that bad, it has the drift less area,
The Loess Hills and The Ledges, but yes it really does not have very much in the way of outdoors stuff unfortunately but it's not the worst.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I personally don't think it's that bad, it has the drift less area,
The Loess Hills and The Ledges, but yes it really does not have very much in the way of outdoors stuff unfortunately but it's not the worst.
No, it's far from the worst, it's just far from the best as well.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:02 AM

Actually, I did a little investigation and at least in terms of quantity of public use land, Iowa ranks 49th in the United States at 1.06%. Only Kansas offers less land for its residents to use.

http://www.nrcm.org/documents/publiclandownership.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or