U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 07:41 AM

49 posts, read 35,430 times

Advertisements

I would be extremely thankful if someone could explain to me how the quadrants in Cedar Rapids (i.e. NW, SE, etc) work. Why do I have to travel south to get from the SE side to the NW side? Why is the NE side located north, and not east, of the NW side? It's like the dude who drew up these areas had his head tilted 90 degrees to the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 09:45 PM

529 posts, read 388,701 times
Yes, it is very confusing! In the furthermost NE corner of CR, you have Best Buy with an address of 1st Ave NE and Granite City Restaurant with an address of 1st Ave SE and they are right across the street from each other!

The dividing lines are the river and 1st Ave. Anything east of the river and north of 1st Ave is NE, anything west of the river and north of 1st Ave is NW, anything west of the river and south of 1st Ave is SW, and anything east of the river and south of 1st Ave is SE.

This is all regardless of where the property is geographically in the city boundaries. 1st Ave and the river are the only two things that factor into determining the quadrant. Hope this helps.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:46 PM

127 posts, read 281,732 times
I've always hated cities that have those directional components to their names. In minneapolis you can be in FOUR places at the corner of 1st and 1st.

Also annoying is when one city has a single road called 1st St and (for example) south of downtown it's South 1st and north of downtown it's North 1st. So it's the same road with different descriptions based on location.

Then another city will have South 1st and North 1st as two separate roads.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:03 PM

14 posts, read 11,981 times
And if the street names and quads don't confuse you enough, just ask some locals for directions. You won't get 'go down 1st ave to 32nd st, take a right to 5th ave', it will be 'go down here and make a right at the big green house, go past Joe's Auto Reppair and make a left at the maid rite'.

These are the kinds of instructions I received my first few weeks here.

In short your car needs about 5 GPS systems to get around Cedar Rapids.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:13 PM

2,586 posts, read 2,888,113 times
Well, around Des Moines there are some streets and sections of the grid that can be a little confusing, not as bad as CR, but Altoona has that same type of CR type layout, with some extensions of the DSM grid intermixed.

In DSM, we have a north/south street that begins close to downtown as E 7th, then as you head north it becomes Pennsylvania Avenue, Saylor Road, Cornell, and finally becomes NE 3rd.

The new MLK extension off Fleur is really kind of dumb, it clashes with address numbers on the old MLK section, so they call the new MLK strip "West MLK", although it runs east of the old MLK (that used to be Harding Road). Not only do the address numbers repeat in some sections, but this new MLK is supposed to make traffic run smoother from east to west in the downtown and east part of Des Moines. It tries to replace Scott Ave (one block south), which used to be a quick jaunt east of downtown, but they ruined Scott by adding a bunch of stop signs, thus forcing the new MLK. The only problem there is the new MLK has 45,327 stop lights as you travel from Fleur to SE 14th. Totally worthless, they should have stuck with Scott for the east extension, and made it connect like it should at E 22nd with the other part of Scott that was cut off by the railroad tracks. I just use Thomas Beck or Maury if I want some East/West travel south of downtown, MLK is too slow.

Last edited by mofford; 03-26-2016 at 11:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or