U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:40 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Here's a question for you calculate
How many wind turbines would you need to install in order to cover then availability factor and then the capacity factor to equal that of a 1.7 gig coal plant...
The transmission lines cross state lines, so yes, electricity produced from other sources comes from across state lines as well. Most coal plant retirements will be replaced with natural gas of varying MW equivalents as baseload, but wind energy will continue to experience exponential growth due to costs dramatically decreasing every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 06:00 AM

8,015 posts, read 8,080,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The transmission lines cross state lines, so yes, electricity produced from other sources comes from across state lines as well. Most coal plant retirements will be replaced with natural gas of varying MW equivalents as baseload, but wind energy will continue to experience exponential growth due to costs dramatically decreasing every year.
didn't answer the question...............

Old 04-19-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
didn't answer the question...............
I can't answer that exact point at the moment, individual turbines have been getting larger and more efficient, producing more MW each. With technology improving I will have to research and see the total number equivalent that would equal.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:32 AM

44,567 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
They are mapped right here, click on the state and it lists all plants, MW output, initial year of operation (per unit) whether they are active or not, and if they are planned to be retired.

Existing U.S. Coal Plants - SourceWatch
And a large amount centered around the coal belt/rust belt.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:41 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,543,028 times
Long term concern I'd never considered until seeing it was mentioned somewhere recently -- who is responsible to take these down when/if they ever become obsolete? (maybe replaced by different energy source?) Besides being huge, they are expensive to dismantle and haul away.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:39 PM

2,956 posts, read 4,372,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Long term concern I'd never considered until seeing it was mentioned somewhere recently -- who is responsible to take these down when/if they ever become obsolete? (maybe replaced by different energy source?) Besides being huge, they are expensive to dismantle and haul away.
It's kind of the elephant in the room that no one wants to address. In the contract originally given to us by the wind power company there was a "Removal and Restoration" section that stated within 6 months of ceasing operations they would remove the turbines and restore the surface of the land to the same condition it was in at the effective date. What was NEVER established was in the event the company went defunct, who would then have to deal with the structures and grading. The company put the clause in the lease, but had no track record for every having followed through and was real vague about this.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:36 PM

195 posts, read 146,044 times
Here's how it's playing out in Illinois:

Wind Farm Decommissioning…Farmer Challenges Engineering Company – *|*Illinois Leaks

Here in Iowa there's a group called "Clean Line Energy Partners" that is trying to use eminent domain to force farmers to accept lines strung across their fields transporting power from the north-central Iowa wind farms to Illinois so Illinois power companies can claim they're using x amount of wind energy. The "Partners" are proposing a dubious plan to use unproven DC transmission. I think they are only in it to get the right-of-way and will immediately sell that to the highest bidder.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:25 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,302,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I've seen trucks haul wind turbine parts on the interstates... the blades are MASSIVE. The trailers they use to transport them are much longer than the standard 53'. Probably twice as long.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:49 PM

World's Biggest Windmills Now Make Jumbo Jets Look Tiny - Bloomberg

Old 04-29-2016, 07:35 AM

44,567 posts, read 43,103,689 times
If this is the case, this could really change things for Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or