Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:46 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
I don't see how smokers complain...what they are doing harms the health of everyone around them. My health should not be subjected because of someone else's lack of care for their own health. I wouldn't do something to myself that I knew directly harmed the health of someone around me.

This ban in TN includes bars, and bars have not lost business...nothing has closed here because of the law. They have the option to become 21+ all day, everyday, and the ban will not apply to them. Which, makes zero sense to me, but whatever. It hasn't harmed revenue though. People still like to get drunk at bars as much as they are addicted to smoking

I am hoping the ban goes over well in Iowa....Iowa has several very liberal areas that I imagine will welcome the ban with open arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:06 PM

42 posts, read 176,731 times
We have that ban already in Florida. Believe me, it was a relief after living in Arizona, where smokers had stunk up every restaurant and bar with their toxic crap. (Yep, I know they changed the law there recently, too. Thank heaven!) It got to the point where I stopped going out because I didn't want my hair and clothes to reek of smoke when I came home.

Funny enough....the bars and restaurants in Florida seem to be doing just fine in spite of the fact that you can't puff away. Lots of people in them every night. Go figure.

If they are going to have that law in Iowa, well, the smokers have no one to blame but themselves. For every considerate smoker who tries to minimize their toxic fumes, there are at least ten who enjoy puffing where other people can gag on their emissions.

(As for the "there's toxic fumes in car exhaust" garbage.....please. Why don't you point out all the toxins in broccoli while you are at it, too?)

Old 02-17-2008, 08:27 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I am hoping the ban goes over well in Iowa....Iowa has several very liberal areas that I imagine will welcome the ban with open arms.
I hope so too. Just to add to that - I'm conservative and I'm welcoming it, I know many conservatives who feel the same way! (glad to say) So I'm not sure whether conservative or liberal would sway a person's opinion on that or not... but idk for sure.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:47 PM

189 posts, read 219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthathighway View Post
I won't deny cigarette smoke is toxic, its rather obvious. But so also is auto exhaust fumes, fumes from the meat cooking, fumes from wall paneling, inside new cars, factory exhaust, even some dust in the home from many sources, (not to mention those deadly fumes from anything containing peanuts, perfume scents for those allergic, the list can be added to...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryO View Post
(As for the "there's toxic fumes in car exhaust" garbage.....please. Why don't you point out all the toxins in broccoli while you are at it, too?)
I fully intended to make the list sound ridiculous, for use as an example. If something is annoying, should it not also be banned? And if you do not believe auto exhaust is toxic, you have not been to LA. Factory fumes- Chattanooga had terrible smog until the 70's. Legislation has reduced but not eliminated auto's toxic emissions. Start your car in the garage- of course the garage door is open to ventilate! But those fumes are STILL in the air if you care to complain about them. Wasn't that the point about cigarette smoke outside?

When I was a smoker, I tended to avoid the non smoking restaurants. Oh be quiet. Of course when eating at restaurants that allowed smoking, I realized after finishing the meal and leaving that I had not smoked anyways, never do when eating. Psychological factor. Mostly, I patronized 'drive thru' windows. Well meaning restaurants that banned smoking did not get my business. And if there had been a ban at bars, why I would have bought my beverage at a store and gone home or to a friend's, but no way would I have been able to stay very long in a non smoking bar.

I actually find humor in some of the hate misdirected at smokers rather than the legality of selling tobacco. Like that patron at the bar in KY that had to go outside on the patio for company, then complained of the smoke. OK, stay in the empty bar and enjoy yourself. If I were looking for smoke-free air, guess that's where I'd be. But those 6-7 people's business would not keep the bar open. And when I smoked, I would not have come to that bar, if it lacked a patio for smoking. Guaranteed. There is always the option of not drinking or drinking at home/ friends, etc.

Georgia banned smoking in restaurants before Tennessee. I was at an Applebee's in Dalton just after the ban. The manager was waiting tables, some staff had been laid off. They HAD a well ventilated smoking area before, voluntarily. No longer acceptable. The manager told us the company had a contractor lined up to build a patio, then their business might pick up again. (It did)

Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,101 times
I can see both sides of it. Having grown up around smoking...I'm no big fan of it. With all due respect to the smokers among us, when done constantly, it's a disgusting habit. I personally prefer to be around those who don't smoke, and have been known to avoid the sort of "smoker's corners" that tend to collect outside buildings and such. Still, I can't help but think that some of these "they banned smoking and all the restaurants closed" stories are a little overblown.

At the same time, I think it's probably 10% of smokers that give the other 90% a bad name. I'm talking about the kind who purposely put themselves in a position to tick off people with their smoking...and raise a stink (no pun intended) when people try to ask them to be considerate.

I guess right now I'm against a comprehensive ban. I think it's probably best left to local control...and I'm guessing probably 75% of all cities would ban it anyway. I think if you do a comprehensive ban, you're going to see a lot of "wink and a nod" selective enforcement--probably defeating the purpose of such a ban anyway.

I guess it's fitting then that we have a conservative who's for the ban, and at least for now, a liberal who's against it!

Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 PM

42 posts, read 176,731 times
Whatever, downthathighway.

It's more than just "annoying" if you have asthma like I do. I don't know what is in cigarette smoke, but it sets off my asthma more than car exhaust ever has, and I know other asthmatics who are the same way. And for every smoker who was considerate and did what they could to not blow smoke in my general direction, there were at least three others who thought it was funny to see if they could set off a wheezing attack. (Gee, I wonder why nonsmokers think smokers are rude? Hmm....let me think about that for a moment.....)

As for banning its sale, does Prohibition ring a bell? Didn't work very well, did it? So we, as a nation, decided to tax the hell out of it, set restrictions on its purchase and where you could use it. Sounds familiar?

I don't care if a smoker wants to light up at home. I don't care if a smoker wants to have a car that smells like an ashtray. Knock yourselves out. It's your property, do what you wish.

Just get over this idea that because you have an addiction, you have the right to make everyone else suffer for it out in public. These laws wouldn't be nearly as popular if there weren't plenty of nonsmokers who were sick and tired of dealing with smokers who just refuse to act civilized.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:14 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Luke keep in mind the OP said "public cars and trucks" not your own private vehicle.
There are circumstances where you would be breaking the law by smoking in your own vehicle. One situation would be for instance if you are a plumber using your own truck for work. On your own you are fine, but if you have someone else with you on the job, wether they smoke or not, it would be against the law for one or both of you to smoke in the truck...

Old 02-18-2008, 06:00 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
There are circumstances where you would be breaking the law by smoking in your own vehicle. One situation would be for instance if you are a plumber using your own truck for work. On your own you are fine, but if you have someone else with you on the job, wether they smoke or not, it would be against the law for one or both of you to smoke in the truck...
Well, in that circumstance, you would have people who need to ride in your truck for work, not just leisure, there for they have no choice -- so the person should not be smoking. It has nothing to do with a person driving from there house to a mall in their own car, etc...

Old 02-19-2008, 02:19 PM

14 posts, read 66,919 times
Quote:
I stress over here its illegal to smoke in any vehical other then your own private car or van.Whether you go down that route I dont know what your laws would be.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:36 PM

189 posts, read 219,155 times
Quote:
There goes my credibility. I just posted that most smokers are now considerate and would not intenionally blow smoke on others. That means they do not smoke inside the car with others inside. (And that would be the most concentrated and toxic smoke fumes of all, such a small space inside a vehicle)
Those few inconsiderates who do so are examples being used for the anti-smokers witch hunt.

[quote=British Bulldog;2877731]I stress over here its illegal to smoke in any vehical other then your own private car or van.Whether you go down that route I dont know what your laws would be.[/quote

Do you mean such as any 'company vehicle' such as a contractor's van, or semi-truck(lorry)?
Smoking has long been banned in public mass transport such as busses, trains and airplanes. Some states and municipalities have banned smoking in taxis also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: