U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2016, 11:20 AM
 
195 posts, read 146,659 times
Reputation: 424

Advertisements

"One thing I inherited from my mother (who lived her first 45 years in Iowa) was her wicked cynical, sense of humor, but I've realized now thinking about it that her and I may not have shared that with the rest of our own family, let alone the majority of Iowa. I do feel my sense of humor is crucial to my survival of the day to day. "

I moved here 16 years ago with the same acerbic and necessary sense of humor. I think Iowans are, as a whole, a bit defensive and my way of joking seems to be a put-down to them. Or, as I told one person, the first thing you find out about Iowans is that they're always nice. That gets old after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2016, 11:39 AM
 
25 posts, read 17,588 times
Reputation: 41
Thanks nobody, I grew up in rural Iowa , one of those towns is my tentative destination. I've lived in Lexington Park Maryland, I've lived in San Diego suburbs, and I've lived in the Seattle suburbs for the past 25 years. I've lived four blocks from the space needle and I've lived up in the Cascades near a small reclusive tight knit tar-heal logging community for a decade. I question whether I'll be shocked or not, I have a fairly good sense of the culture differences in rural vs. small town vs. city.

I am not current with "Iowa trends" and only talk to a small handful. And so my sense of one particular old friend's idea of funny and my own are strikingly different. It led me down a path of thinking Iowa might be the home of lame memes and "corny" jokes. I'm sure to some degree that could be true and on the other hand I'm sure there are sarcastic irreverent clowns thinking we are all about wit, like myself, here and there.
The big shocks I expect: shoveling snow (again), and the discomfort of being invited to church gatherings.
The luxury of being retired is that my interaction in the community, and time spent with the snow/humid heat can be minimal if I choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 11:44 AM
 
25 posts, read 17,588 times
Reputation: 41
ION1010, that makes perfect sense, and offending is a concern of mine, my filters are faulty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, AZ
529 posts, read 390,254 times
Reputation: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonborn51 View Post
ION1010, that makes perfect sense, and offending is a concern of mine, my filters are faulty.
That is one thing I noticed in Iowa, you do have to have working filters. I can see now where you had some trouble. I suggest either getting your filters fixed, or finding another place to live... That could be an issue.

For me, I just found harmless topics to joke about - tried to stay away from the hot potato topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 01:03 AM
 
25 posts, read 17,588 times
Reputation: 41
Dewey59 the jokes that have failed recently have mostly been with one particular person, and not the sort of sarcastic thing that would generally get me in to trouble. And in fact, the most recent was a slightly racy innuendo sort of thing I would expect to be on her radar, judging by her face book memes and our past experiences. Sailed right over. I am sorry to say she seems to just not be very alert in general. The concern with my filters would be after I am back actually living there gettin' comfortable, let my guard down and make fun of their permanent governor or unwillingness to think out of the box. I do see that coming, hopefully they won't refuse to sell me groceries or turn my heat off for being a wise guy.

My plan is to keep my left-coast liberal leanings on the down low and avoid any and all political, religious, and musical discussions unless I have found a bond of trust with someone. I believe that should minimize the casualties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, AZ
529 posts, read 390,254 times
Reputation: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonborn51 View Post

My plan is to keep my left-coast liberal leanings on the down low and avoid any and all political, religious, and musical discussions unless I have found a bond of trust with someone. I believe that should minimize the casualties.
Great plan.... I wish more people would keep their religious and political opinions (whichever direction they may lean) to themselves!!! You are not going to convince anyone to switch sides anyway, so all you do is start an argument and potentially create an enemy. Not worth it.

Good luck on your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2016, 07:02 AM
 
Location: MetroWest Boston
316 posts, read 270,748 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonborn51 View Post
Thanks nobody, I grew up in rural Iowa , one of those towns is my tentative destination. I've lived in Lexington Park Maryland, I've lived in San Diego suburbs, and I've lived in the Seattle suburbs for the past 25 years. I've lived four blocks from the space needle and I've lived up in the Cascades near a small reclusive tight knit tar-heal logging community for a decade. I question whether I'll be shocked or not, I have a fairly good sense of the culture differences in rural vs. small town vs. city.

I am not current with "Iowa trends" and only talk to a small handful. And so my sense of one particular old friend's idea of funny and my own are strikingly different. It led me down a path of thinking Iowa might be the home of lame memes and "corny" jokes. I'm sure to some degree that could be true and on the other hand I'm sure there are sarcastic irreverent clowns thinking we are all about wit, like myself, here and there.
The big shocks I expect: shoveling snow (again), and the discomfort of being invited to church gatherings.
The luxury of being retired is that my interaction in the community, and time spent with the snow/humid heat can be minimal if I choose.
Best of luck. I've been in a similar scenario, going to a very rural place from a very dense place. Sounds like you're retired, so can leave your options open, have the freedom to travel when you want to step away from the rural setting, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2016, 02:26 PM
 
49 posts, read 35,491 times
Reputation: 43
A lot of Iowans do have a weird sense of humor. It can be an odd culture. Somehow this unjustifiably smug douchebag is popular:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZZ6JD0g9Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2016, 02:31 PM
 
49 posts, read 35,491 times
Reputation: 43
Cedar Rapids in particular seems to have experienced some kind of culture freeze in the late 90s. When I go back there I still see underbody lighting on cars and Insane Clown Posse stickers. Last time I was there I took my family to a restaurant that had a kid's menu so I assumed it was family friendly but they had a song playing that was something about "stealing my *****'s car keys and crashing her f***ing car" and there was some obese guy wandering around with his shirt off. When I stopped for gas the guy at the pump next to me was talking on his phone about how he got beat up at a strip club the night before. Weird place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2016, 04:50 PM
 
25 posts, read 17,588 times
Reputation: 41
^ If Iowans find this "unjustifiably smug douchebag" funny, we'll get along just fine. The not getting this guys schtick, for example, is the sort of thing that concerns me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top