U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonborn51 View Post
As I spend more time reconnecting with old friends and relatives, and making new contacts in Iowa, I'm not finding much detectable sense humor or attempt to have fun with life. Maybe I've lost touch with the Iowa sense of what's funny, but I'm not so sure, everyone seems to take themselves awfully serious. Written jokes elicit a totally straight answer and phone conversations aren't much better. This may be a deal breaker for my retirement plan.

Any thoughts?
Yep. I'm 29 from Florida and I moved there to visit in November 2015. I find they are horrible people. I was in Muscatine, Bettendorf, Davenport area. They hate politeness, are very ignorant and sexist. Easily threatened by Americans (as I found Iowans are anti-American) and Iowa has a serious problem with inbreeding.

A sense of humor is proof of intelligence and from what I saw there is very little of that in Iowa. I also had a little experience with Iowa City people. They aren't much better. it's a sad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 03:04 PM

2,964 posts, read 2,654,480 times
"..threatened by Americans..."
Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!
That's an eye opener.
Guess I'd better cancel my next upcoming visit!

On a more realistic note, during my last visit there, I found Iowans to be more polite on the average than their southern brethren.
Additionally, they were far more competent at customer service & dealing with the public than what I ordinarily experience here in Atlanta.
Seriously speaking, after my prior visit to Iowa, when I returned home to Georgia I still had cramps leftover near my lower stomach area from constant episodes of major laughter.
Laughter shared with good, old friends is one of life's simple & better pleasures.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:34 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,514,848 times
Give nearly anyone a bottle of their favorite adult beverage and they'll find your jokes funny!

Old 06-28-2016, 08:54 PM

25 posts, read 14,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegeonis View Post
Yep. I'm 29 from Florida and I moved there to visit in November 2015. I find they are horrible people. I was in Muscatine, Bettendorf, Davenport area. They hate politeness, are very ignorant and sexist. Easily threatened by Americans (as I found Iowans are anti-American) and Iowa has a serious problem with inbreeding.

A sense of humor is proof of intelligence and from what I saw there is very little of that in Iowa. I also had a little experience with Iowa City people. They aren't much better. it's a sad situation.
Would you care to elaborate on the "hatred of politeness" or the even more surprising, "threatened by Americans" "anti-American" Those are some very interesting statements.

Southern manners were certainly foreign to me when I was growing up. I transferred to Lexington Park Maryland from Greenfield Iowa for part of my 8th grade year (1965) and was constantly being reprimanded for not addressing teachers as mam and sir. Not only based on that, but I was never so happy to leave any place in my entire life. I do notice many of the female Iowans I know have less respect for personal boundaries than I require. Kind of a "busybody mindset" MO. I do find that rude. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience in Iowa, but thanks for you candid response.

Of course there is the dumb farmer stereotype just as there is the ignorant racist southerner stereotype, but I've known a couple of white southerners that were really fine people and plenty of smart educated farmers.
Personally I have always believed there are plenty of highly intelligent people in Iowa, who may not share my sense of humor, along with plenty that are not very deep thinkers, like most anywhere ya go. But there may be something to it, I know that many above average IQ young adults (particularly in small communities) probably flee for greener pastures, deserts, and beaches.

I believe I have an aunt on my Dad's side that's my second cousin through marriage on my Mother's side, not really inbreeding, but it's not hard to see how easily that could happen in a small community anywhere east of the Misery river.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:48 PM

47 posts, read 26,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Give nearly anyone a bottle of their favorite adult beverage and they'll find your jokes funny!
Iowa does have a pretty significant drinking problem. I'm reminded of the recent bowl game (vs Michigan State I think) where the Iowa fans apparently bought all the inventory of a lot of the liquor stores in the area and somehow managed to take pride in this.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitae View Post
Iowa does have a pretty significant drinking problem. I'm reminded of the recent bowl game (vs Michigan State I think) where the Iowa fans apparently bought all the inventory of a lot of the liquor stores in the area and somehow managed to take pride in this.
I prefer not being around heavy drinkers, we have them here in Washington too, I'm able to avoid them most of the time. I might indulge in a margarita once or twice a year, but that's it for me anymore.
I noticed when studying Iowa crime incident reports that DUI's, auto accidents around closing time, domestic calls (often alcohol fueled IME), and physical assaults late in the evening (just a hunch) seem to be a constant presence and even make up the majority of reported crimes in some areas. But dog forbid they legalize pot and keep some of those numb skulls at home, off the road and pacified. I'm back to looking at other areas I might want to retire to, and considering just staying here in Washington, at least a couple more years. Every time I check the value of my home it's up another 10K. As long as we are in the top three markets it makes sense to hold tight.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:41 PM

279 posts, read 233,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonborn51 View Post
As I spend more time reconnecting with old friends and relatives, and making new contacts in Iowa, I'm not finding much detectable sense humor or attempt to have fun with life. Maybe I've lost touch with the Iowa sense of what's funny, but I'm not so sure, everyone seems to take themselves awfully serious. Written jokes elicit a totally straight answer and phone conversations aren't much better. This may be a deal breaker for my retirement plan.

Any thoughts?
To be honest, Iowa is not a retiree friendly state.

State income taxes are high, as are property taxes. As a Medicaid expansion state, Iowa seniors on Medicare have to compete with Medicaid recepients for limited numbers of CMS appointments in medical clinics. Energy/utility costs are relatively high as well.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:14 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,307,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post

State income taxes are high, as are property taxes. As a Medicaid expansion state, Iowa seniors on Medicare have to compete with Medicaid recepients for limited numbers of CMS appointments in medical clinics. Energy/utility costs are relatively high as well.
You might want to tell Bankrate who just put two Iowa cities in top 10 Best Cities to Retire:

Quote:
The top 10 cities in Bankrate.comís rankings are:
Arlington, VA
Alexandria, VA
Franklin, TN
Silver Spring, MD
West Des Moines, IA
Nashville, TN
Sarasota, FL
Rockville, MD
Des Moines, IA
Murfreesboro, TN
https://www.arlnow.com/2016/06/27/ar...ity-to-retire/

Old 07-01-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post

Yeah, gotcha Moving, I'm aware of all that. Non-issues for me all the way down your list. Not everyone's needs or priorities are alike.

My only question was regarding sense of humor, it's nice to be able to put people at ease and it's uncomfortable to me when I can't. As far as where I'm heading with my life or where is best for me, I wouldn't throw that question out to strangers on a forum. I have personal reasons I need to to return to Iowa for at least a couple of years, after that I can live anywhere I want that I can afford, I think they'll let me leave Iowa if I decide it's time to go. Retirement communities never have big enough garages for hot rods and Harley's and those people wouldn't want an electric guitar player for a neighbor anyway.

Anyway, I believe I'm outta here, to the people that have tried to be helpful, thank you, have a great 4th.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:09 AM

316 posts, read 223,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
You might want to tell Bankrate who just put two Iowa cities in top 10 Best Cities to Retire:

https://www.arlnow.com/2016/06/27/ar...ity-to-retire/
But of those cities, which have the lowest cost of housing? I'm only asking as a point to consider - I haven't taken the time to do the research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa