U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:37 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,042,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I think one of the reasons property taxes have increased is due to all the road construction currently taking place. For the past year, roads are being completely replaced including sidewalks and landscaping in the center medians (Collins Road and First Avenue). Also school funding is a big one.

I'm concerned about all the building downtown of apartments and lofts. Not sure there are enough interested people to fill those but we will see. When I go to the NewBo area where many of these buildings are being built, I do see people lounging on their balconies.

As far as Chicago, many of those transplants came with vouchers that started several years ago. My kids were in the CR school system at the time and there was a noticeable increase with problems in the school and crime overall. However, I've never heard of "signs advertising CR in Chicago," as discussed on this forum.

Thank you for your reply & input here, rigizug. In the interim after my post here yesterday, yours was the first one that actually addressed what I both broadly & specifically wrote & asked about. All of the various replies basically danced around truly answering my post.
I've yet to learn anything about the "...empire building... " undertaken in Cedar Rapids by the council there. I still don't know what that term means or if there's anything online to support that contention.
Is it a way of referring to the massive challenges of post-flood planning & reconstruction?
And as for the reference yesterday to the "economic development plan", I know that Iowa & Cedar Rapids are trying to attract both jobs & the people to fill new jobs as well as existing job openings. Rockwell Collins alone has been a stellar leader for years in trying to recruit people to work in it's Iowa facilities. It's part & parcel of the fact that the aging work force in the state is no secret & is a major concern to both the existing business community as well as to to economic development officials at the local & state levels.
As for the question asked here overnight as to why anyone happy in Chicago would personally move or relocate their business to Iowa, well then why has the governor specifically targeted Chicago in appearances there, specifically targeted Manhattan in similar fashion or gone on trips around the world such as to China to grow business in Iowa? Are he and the Iowa Development Authority all wet?
And as regards the link supplied overnight in this thread to the one on "the Chicago factor", that link did not at all answer what I VERY specifically asked about. I've been aware of that entire line of concern in Iowa for years but nothing supplied there showed that that thread & topic had much of anything to do with empire building & Cedar Rapids economic development efforts.
So, I'm still waiting.
Knowing your very measured & fair posting history, rigizug, the fact that you are unaware of C.R. specifically putting out the welcome mat for welfare & section 8 people to move there as a part of their "economic development" efforts, tells me exactly what I asked for yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or