Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:25 AM

16 posts, read 22,462 times

Advertisements

Here are a few websites to look at. One warning: government websites can be very misleading, as an example about 8-10 years ago the FBI listed the victims of crimes as White, black, asian, and hispanic, but the perpetrators of crimes as white, black, and asian with the white category of perpetrators also including hispanics. This was their attempt to cover up crimes committed by hispanics.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 07:46 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,678,722 times
Default Rental housing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpat View Post
Here are a few websites to look at. One warning: government websites can be very misleading, as an example about 8-10 years ago the FBI listed the victims of crimes as White, black, asian, and hispanic, but the perpetrators of crimes as white, black, and asian with the white category of perpetrators also including hispanics. This was their attempt to cover up crimes committed by hispanics.

Some of what you have claimed here is an example of pure conspiracy theory talk.
Any web site can be difficult to understand or even be downright deceitful by intent. Government web sites are not the only ones that can be problematic in that regard.
The FBI, however, has no vested interest or intent to shade it's data so as to improve the relative standing of one racial group against any other group(s).
What is often problematic however is the use &/or interpretation of that data, often incorrectly, & how it is then used by individuals or think tanks, politicians, agencies, etc. to promote their agenda.
To it's credit, on it's web site, the FBI urges caution in how it's data is used & interpreted.
As we know, ANY kind of statistic can be used incorrectly either through misunderstanding or via a deliberate attempt to promulgate misinformation.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: inserted 1 word

Old 07-14-2016, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 3,044 times
Hi all,

My apologies for the time away, out of town guests and mandatory overtime at work happened. I greatly appreciate the feedback and suggestions. We've found a few places in both towns that we will be looking at this coming week. Thus far, it seems like there are more house rentals available in Dubuque; the trend for Platteville seems to be pricier for what you'd rent as most look like they are geared toward students.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:04 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,886,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey1970 View Post
A shooting would be counted as Violent Crime, the statistics are clear, Dubuque not only has a declining crime rate, but has one of the fastest declining crime rates in the US.
I didn't say anyone was shot. Just shots fired in the air to scare people I guess (doubt shots in the air are recorded as violent crime). This has become common in Dubuque.

You could ask just about anyone that isn't a city employee if they feel Dubuque is safer than it was a year ago and get a majority vote of NO

Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 PM

824 posts, read 705,940 times
A majority of Americans have thought Violent Crime is up pretty much every year these polls have been conducted.

This is false though since crime is way down since its early 90s peak.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:38 PM

23 posts, read 67,116 times
I would also recommend living in Platteville. The winter commute is doable but really is not always pleasant. Grant County does a horrible job plowing and I would advise living as close to work as possible. You may also have other issues - such as, the other day there was an accident on 151 and traffic was backed up considerably. You do have to remember there are only two bridges across the river in Dubuque. If there is an incident on/around/on the way to one of them, you will be either sitting a while or driving a bit to get around.

You can also add more commute time the further west you live in Dubuque. U.S. 20 can also have accidents and moves slowly between 5-6 PM. I have personally had to commute all directions and to both Wisconsin and Illinois during my time (two years) in Dubuque and my recommendation is obviously to live close to work. Living on the side of Dubuque closer to the bridges can put you in some of the more undesirable areas, but there are also good places to live.

As far as the comments from jasperhobbs, there is some truth to them. The city did build a bathroom costing over $400,000 on 5th and Bluff streets. I live near it and I am not sure how you can justify the facility. You can also look at the Bee Branch, the transit station to nowhere, or the Port of Dubuque Marina. The city took some money from the fire department staffing budget to cover operating losses for the first two years of the Marina. I don't want to take over the topic with this, but there are some examples.

Crime: perception is everything, and there are some people in the surrounding towns and villages that think Dubuque is a crime-ridden cesspool. This is not true. However, last year it seemed every time you turned around there were shots fired reports. The activity is mostly concentrated to a small portion of the city, but exists nonetheless. If you choose to live in Dubuque, I would research the areas you are looking at thoroughly before you move there, just like anywhere else.

With all of that said, I like living in Dubuque and there are lots of good people here. It has issues like anywhere else, but is a good place to live.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:11 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,886,764 times
There are some very good people living in Dubuque and many are getting fed up with the way the city is being run. The city is really in need of strong leadership to get a handle on the crime and build on the good things the town has going for it.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 747 times
I don't think I would rely on old statistics. I believe JasperHobbs is correct.

[url=http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/429693/affh-preview-obamas-hud-takes-over-dubuque-iowa]AFFH Preview: Obama's HUD Takes-Over Dubuque, Iowa | National Review[/url]

Old 07-28-2016, 02:36 PM

67 posts, read 76,762 times
The statistic isn't that old. It's from like 2013 I believe. The trend is probably going to continue. But Dubuque is not turning into a mini-Chicago or Detroit as some people believe.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:29 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,834,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
A majority of Americans have thought Violent Crime is up pretty much every year these polls have been conducted.

This is false though since crime is way down since its early 90s peak.
True, this is mostly due to the non stop media cycle, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa