U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-02-2016, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
282 posts, read 157,263 times
Reputation: 351

Advertisements

And I LOVE IT!

I've got no specific names, but I really appreciate everyone who suggested Iowa and especially Linn County. The place is beautiful, greenery is green, the people are very friendly, drivers aren't insane on the roadways (for the most part), there are events going on everywhere, and you really feel connected to the community. Not to mention I feel completely safe here.

And yes, I've heard the "December will change your mind" line. And if I start to waver then, I'll remember that in the summer time, it's about 30 degrees cooler than where I'm from and I handle cold far better than heat. I think I'll do fine then. I heard someone mention the weather keeps the crazy people out, and I'm not all that crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2016, 03:30 PM
 
49 posts, read 35,491 times
Reputation: 43
December usually isn't too bad, relatively. Sometimes there isn't even snow on the ground until late December. Late January/early February are the worst parts of winter in terms of extreme cold and snow accumulation. Personally I find a lot to do during that time of year. Snowmobiling, ice fishing, hunting, playing in the snow if you have kids, skiing/snowboarding, etc. I feel extreme cold is more tolerable than extreme heat. Get the right clothing and you can be comfortable in anything, but I could run around nude on a 100 degree day and still be too hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Chicago
92 posts, read 180,576 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
And I LOVE IT!

I've got no specific names, but I really appreciate everyone who suggested Iowa and especially Linn County. The place is beautiful, greenery is green, the people are very friendly, drivers aren't insane on the roadways (for the most part), there are events going on everywhere, and you really feel connected to the community. Not to mention I feel completely safe here.

And yes, I've heard the "December will change your mind" line. And if I start to waver then, I'll remember that in the summer time, it's about 30 degrees cooler than where I'm from and I handle cold far better than heat. I think I'll do fine then. I heard someone mention the weather keeps the crazy people out, and I'm not all that crazy!
I'm so happy for you! It makes me excited to plan my visits. I have a feeling the winters would not compare to what I've experienced in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Chicago
92 posts, read 180,576 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitae View Post
December usually isn't too bad, relatively. Sometimes there isn't even snow on the ground until late December. Late January/early February are the worst parts of winter in terms of extreme cold and snow accumulation. Personally I find a lot to do during that time of year. Snowmobiling, ice fishing, hunting, playing in the snow if you have kids, skiing/snowboarding, etc. I feel extreme cold is more tolerable than extreme heat. Get the right clothing and you can be comfortable in anything, but I could run around nude on a 100 degree day and still be too hot.
My question is does the chill stay in the air long past February? My biggest complaint about Chicago is getting snow in April, and still feeling frost in May sometimes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 11:48 AM
 
1,509 posts, read 2,060,479 times
Reputation: 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJbust View Post
My question is does the chill stay in the air long past February? My biggest complaint about Chicago is getting snow in April, and still feeling frost in May sometimes!
I live in Cedar Rapids and commute to Iowa City daily. We pretty much have the same thing here but snow in April is more of a rare occurrence. Frost can linger into May on some mornings. This past March/April/May, we would get a few days of cold and then it quickly changed to warm. The weather just seems so unpredictable. I'm not so sure it would be much of a change from Chicago. What I like here is that even during the winter we get sunny days, which helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 11:59 AM
 
1,509 posts, read 2,060,479 times
Reputation: 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
And I LOVE IT!

I've got no specific names, but I really appreciate everyone who suggested Iowa and especially Linn County. The place is beautiful, greenery is green, the people are very friendly, drivers aren't insane on the roadways (for the most part), there are events going on everywhere, and you really feel connected to the community. Not to mention I feel completely safe here.

And yes, I've heard the "December will change your mind" line. And if I start to waver then, I'll remember that in the summer time, it's about 30 degrees cooler than where I'm from and I handle cold far better than heat. I think I'll do fine then. I heard someone mention the weather keeps the crazy people out, and I'm not all that crazy!
Welcome to Linn County and glad you like it so far! I'm a California transplant, going on 22 years, and can relate to what you wrote. It definitely is a lot greener here than Bakersfield. When the snow starts melting and the trees are leafless here it may remind you more of home. I came in March and initially though the area went through a brush fire

Good luck on your adventure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, AZ
529 posts, read 390,017 times
Reputation: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I live in Cedar Rapids and commute to Iowa City daily. We pretty much have the same thing here but snow in April is more of a rare occurrence. Frost can linger into May on some mornings. This past March/April/May, we would get a few days of cold and then it quickly changed to warm. The weather just seems so unpredictable. I'm not so sure it would be much of a change from Chicago. What I like here is that even during the winter we get sunny days, which helps.
One of the things weather-wise that I liked about CR was that there is very little wind relatively speaking. Seemed like the fall was the windiest time of year, but even that wasn't bad. Very few times that I can remember that I had to hang on to my hat or cursed the wind (unlike MOST of the time when I lived in North Dakota!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 02:47 PM
 
49 posts, read 35,491 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJbust View Post
My question is does the chill stay in the air long past February? My biggest complaint about Chicago is getting snow in April, and still feeling frost in May sometimes!
Depends on the day. March and April you will experience a wide range of weather. I can recall 70 degree days in march and snow in april.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top