Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 PM

7 posts, read 10,830 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are looking to move from Honolulu to Iowa. We have two kids ages 2yr and 4 months. I have family in Urbandale and Pleasant Hill. I am looking in the areas of Waukee- Urbandale. Big radius...I know. Husband is a restaurant manager here. We would like something comparable there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Rent? Buy? Daycare pricing? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 PM

173 posts, read 345,544 times
I would say buy. A house payment will not be too much more than renting. A decent place to rent will run you $600 plus. You can get a pretty nice house for around $200,000 in Urbandale.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,065 times
What's wrong with Hawaii? I don't get why you want to move to Iowa from Hawaii. Cost of living, perhaps?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
What's wrong with Hawaii? I don't get why you want to move to Iowa from Hawaii. Cost of living, perhaps?
Hawaii is paradise but you're right. The cost of living is causing us to sink. The school system is not great. It's too hard to stay afloat paying 1295/month for a small two bedroom apartment.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:32 AM

655 posts, read 1,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyimhome View Post
Hawaii is paradise but you're right. The cost of living is causing us to sink. The school system is not great. It's too hard to stay afloat paying 1295/month for a small two bedroom apartment.

Have you ever lived on the mainland....are you Hawaii native? If so, are you prepared for the weather shock? Just curious because that is a drastic change from where you are. Good luck to you and your family....I hope the move is successful!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
Have you ever lived on the mainland....are you Hawaii native? If so, are you prepared for the weather shock? Just curious because that is a drastic change from where you are. Good luck to you and your family....I hope the move is successful!
I grew up in Iowa. The shock isn't so much of a worry. We are ready for a change. Thank you for the well wishes.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:10 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyimhome View Post
Oh, got it. Hope your return to Iowa will be a good one. I am not from Iowa but from California.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM

6 posts, read 15,425 times
You can buy a pretty darn good house anywhere in the DM metro for 1250 a mo. I doubt your husband will have much trouble finding a job, the recession kind of passed us by. I'd say Waukee/Urbandale/Johnston are fairly similar in most ways. All have good schools and are growing fast, especially Waukee and Johnston. Urbandale has kind of reached its limits now so its a little more settled that way maybe.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
What about any advice about moving from Iowa to Hawaii...? Really thinking about it!!

Old 07-06-2016, 07:09 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Default Moving from..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdevries View Post
What about any advice about moving from Iowa to Hawaii...? Really thinking about it!!
As I would suggest to anyone who is considering making a move from one state to another, "Visit repeatedly & often" until you get a firm grasp on the place you are visiting & come to discover what you want from it.
In the case of Hawaii, which is so completely geographically removed from the mainland 48, and extremely isolated from EVERYWHERE on the planet, do your homework & take my "visit" advice.
Living & functioning long term in a place can be totally different from thinking that you've fallen in love with a place you saw in a travel program or vacationed in once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa