U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,514,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The truth of the matter is, what probably has the Founding Fathers rolling over in their graves more than anything is the perception that the President has so much power that people really care that much who holds that office.
That's profound. You're probably right. The gov't has gotten so big that a lot of people do have a financial interest in who is POTUS. It would be a different world if that weren't the case.

Thanks for sharing that . . . you've given me something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 05:04 PM

379 posts, read 423,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
That's profound. You're probably right. The gov't has gotten so big that a lot of people do have a financial interest in who is POTUS. It would be a different world if that weren't the case.
Financial interest? Hell, I'd be more concerned about a President's picks for the Supreme Court.

A government that tells a fifteen-year-old girl just raped and impregnated by her father that she MUST have the child, is a tyrannical government indeed.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:37 PM

2,964 posts, read 2,654,480 times
Some of us have valid & even grave concerns over the character & psyche of a U.S. President & how he or she can do good or evil, i.e. concerns that are a separate issue from a consideration of what the founding fathers conceived as the roles or powers of a U.S. president.
Thinking globally reveals that much of the expanded "power" of a U.S. President is rooted in his world wide "power" and not just in what he does domestically in our own country.
Think about that: Practically everything our president says or does has a world wide impact. WE are the world's Amazon when it comes to heavyweight powers on the world scene. The founding fathers could NEVER have had any conception of where U.S. power & influence would take this nation on the world stage nor correspondingly how the influence of a U.S. President could be much more than just what his assigned domestic role is as originally laid out by the U.S. Constitution.
Everything he says or does has a world wide impact and there is no denying that fact.
As such, I have the gravest concerns over the path we are about to embark after the next inauguration.
I for one would like to firmly be able to believe & trust that our sitting president is not drawn astray by his petty, vindictive, megalomaniacal instincts that he has habitually thrived on (as witnessed by Trump's voracious & unending twitter feed) to such a degree that he fails to protect the best interests of the U.S.
Of obvious concern is his open feuding with the institutions like the CIA & FBI & his lack of belief in what privately-based cyber-security experts are saying about the Russian hacking issues.
I was a Republican for many years & thus cannot conceive of how President-elect Trump & many Republican politicians who are clambering to give him cover on the hacking issue, i.e. Senator McConnell of Kentucky, could have fallen so very far astray. To give tacit approval to Putin's mischief-making, as Trump has done (remember his election rally appearances where he invited Russia to hack?), is so far off of the path that one would expect a serious politician, much less a Republican presidential candidate to take, that I can't help but consider that it falls into the realm of giving succor to your enemies, i.e. treasonous behavior.
Color me old-fashioned if you need to but I will never support a shameful apologist for Vladimir Putin who willy nilly poo poos the threat from aggressive Russian FSB security service operations directed against the United States.
In conclusion, allow me to borrow a line used earlier in this thread: I believe that that type of behavior is highly likely to cause our founding fathers to roll over in their graves.

Opinion: Trump sides with Putin, for reasons unknown and unexplained | Jay Bookman

Last edited by atler8; 01-04-2017 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: edited a word

Old 01-05-2017, 06:39 AM

379 posts, read 423,340 times
Trump is giving aid and comfort to a state that has thousands of nuclear weapons pointed at America.

Today's Republican Party is perfectly okay with this.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:55 AM

899 posts, read 1,380,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Remember who championed the Birther Movement in 2012?

That kind of hateful paranoid craziness will now be running our country.

Actually, the birther movement started in 2008. But the campaign where it started lost in 2008 and again this last fall. Get over it.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Trump is giving aid and comfort to a state that has thousands of nuclear weapons pointed at America.

Today's Republican Party is perfectly okay with this.

I think we all need to take a chill pill on this one. The indecipherable and feckless foreign policy of the last eight years is thankfully coming to and end, and hopefully after January 20th we'll be out of the proxy war started by the current admin that is arming and training terror groups fighting against Russian backed military, with no interest to the US. Is Putin a good guy? Nope. But he's gotten away with quite a bit (along with many others) since Obama took office, but now that the Ruskies were able to hack into a couple of unsecured email servers (which any amateur could have done, and likely did), Obama is ready to go to war with them? Scary times. I wish he'd have gotten this animated when Iran took our drone technology and handed it over to China. Or when Americans got taken hostage.

I'm pretty sure had Hitlary won, we'd be going to war to correct her and John Kerry's foreign policy blunders within ten years. Look at who was backing her... Lockheed, Raytheon, Boeing, etc.

BTW you can thank democrat administrations past for those nukes pointed at us.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:48 AM

2,964 posts, read 2,654,480 times
Default Governor Brandstad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I think we all need to take a chill pill on this one. The indecipherable and feckless foreign policy of the last eight years is thankfully coming to and end, and hopefully after January 20th we'll be out of the proxy war started by the current admin that is arming and training terror groups fighting against Russian backed military, with no interest to the US. Is Putin a good guy? Nope. But he's gotten away with quite a bit (along with many others) since Obama took office, but now that the Ruskies were able to hack into a couple of unsecured email servers (which any amateur could have done, and likely did), Obama is ready to go to war with them? Scary times. I wish he'd have gotten this animated when Iran took our drone technology and handed it over to China. Or when Americans got taken hostage.

I'm pretty sure had Hitlary won, we'd be going to war to correct her and John Kerry's foreign policy blunders within ten years. Look at who was backing her... Lockheed, Raytheon, Boeing, etc.

My oh my!! That's a lot of revisionist history all neatly thrown together in the "Obama's responsible for every mess" mindset & tied up in the trappings of a pretty bow.

For example, your line regarding " ...nukes pointed at us..." is unbelievably revisionist. What's your source?
As for Putin, don't forget Russia's aggressive foray into the Republic of Georgia & it's subsequent annexation of Georgian lands during the Bush Administration. That unchecked aggression went down after Bush so famously looked into Putin's eyes & saw his soul, which was incredibly nave on Bush's part.
And by the way, let me make a point here on something that is commonplace today & which I find highly annoying. It's not "democrat" administrations as there is no "democrat" party. Since it's founding in the 1800's it's traditionally been the "Democratic" Party until the Republicans decided after the turn of the last century to stop referring to that party in the manner to which it had been generally referred to for decades & decades. All of that was engineered by GOP messaging as a simple means of finger-in-the-eye disrespect to the party opposite them & a mark of the loss of GOP civility.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 AM

8,094 posts, read 14,017,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
We hear a lot about how JFK saved the day during the Cuban Missile Crisis. What we don't hear about is how he ignored Ike's warning that the Russians would try to come after us through Cuba.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:04 AM

Atler, I haven't seen too much democracy in the democrat party of late. I've been a registered libertarian since 2001, not much for the GOP. I wish McConnell would get ousted, and maybe had the Democrats fielded a candidate in 2014 who could spell their own name without help, he would be gone.

I was hoping Jim Webb would have gotten more traction, he was the real "peace" candidate on that side of the isle and he was the one I was supporting at the beginning of election season. Bernie talked a good game about it, and in his heart I'm sure he's genuine but some folks ideas on how to keep the peace don't pan out how they intend.

One of the reasons Hillary lost was that she's a war monger funded by defense contractors. And why not, Chelsea wasn't going to be deployed in Iraq, it's other people's kids who will be dodging AK fire and roadside bombs.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:15 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,514,848 times
I don't have a lot of time for a lengthy, cogent argument right now, but I'm old enough to have lived through the Cold War. I said this in the 70s and it applies today: the Russian citizens aren't interested in going to war with the US, nor are most of US citizens interested in a war with them. It's our leaders and related interests who benefit financially from defense contracts. Also, Russia *is not* our friend.

That said, it's not in Mr. Putin's best interests to go to war right now. He has some rebuilding to do. He would rather do business with Mr. Trump than drop bombs, especially since many of Mr. Putin's cronies have a chance to line their pockets with the right business deals. And we know that Mr. Trump is all about business deals . . . (insert silly icon here)

I'm okay with this situation for now. We need to get manufacturing restarted in the US, not just bombs but shoes, steel, and other goods that have been outsourced. That will be a lot more difficult to do if the US is involved in a hot war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa