Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times

Advertisements

I noticed when you go deeper into the Midwest, like in Iowa, you see almost no trees. You see acres and acres of farmland. I was told they want to squeeze every last inch out of it for growing crops. Here in Ohio, there are a ton of trees on farms, usually on the perimeter between farms.

Why is this? Does this serve a farming purpose of some kind particular to Ohio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 07:56 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Emergency bathroom?

Added: Southern Ohio gets fairly warm in the summer. I used to see Amishmen and their teams resting under the lone oak tree in the middle of their field in the early afternoon.

Last edited by Meemur; 05-31-2017 at 09:26 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 08:24 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I noticed when you go deeper into the Midwest, like in Iowa, you see almost no trees. You see acres and acres of farmland. I was told they want to squeeze every last inch out of it for growing crops. Here in Ohio, there are a ton of trees on farms, usually on the perimeter between farms.

For the most part, areas closer to the prairie regions edging out onto the Great Plains have tree rows and windbreaks planted closer to housing structures or out buildings like barns. I have seen trees separating crop fields with major roads. Farmers could certainly plant more trees as it helps quite a bit with wind erosion around crop lands edges. Ohio is also further east and within close proximity to temperate forested areas, included within the humid continental climate zones. Areas south and east of Columbus, OH mark the entry into the western edge of the Appalachian region with hilly topography and more tree cover.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:22 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
This is one strange observation to me. As I've traveled Iowa over the last 10 years what has stood out to me was WITH THE EXCEPTION of the northern 1/3 of the state 2/3rds the way across until you get to the Mississippi River bluffs, the farm fields are broken up everywhere from the rolling hills and multiple tree stands. Yea, lots of corn, but very small fields. This is in stark contrast to southern Minnesota, NE Nebraska, and eastern South Dakota where I'm from.

I always thought, prior to the last decade where I've traveled Iowa extensively, that the whole state of Iowa was more like NW Iowa that I was so accustomed to with it's mile roads and farms divided out by sections.

I've never been to Ohio (been in states all around it) so if Iowa to the OP is considered wide open fields, you've REALLY got small farm fields there.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:17 AM

Maybe it's because I was in Iowa during the winter time.

I asked the same question on the Ohio board and someone said the difference is that Ohio was heavily forested and Iowa was largely prairie.

Here's a spot along I-71 south of Columbus that shows what I'm talking about?

https://goo.gl/maps/hcy9RWfTjhs

If you want to see the responses in Ohio:

Farming: Why are there so many trees in Ohio?
Farming: Why so many trees in Ohio?

Old 06-02-2017, 07:41 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
It's an interesting question: I've lived in both states and never really thought about it.

That's true about Ohio having more forest, and NW OH was part of the Great Swamp. I'm still learning Iowa geology and geography, but it's definitely prairie: I've had lots of new plants and shrubs to learn.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:11 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Interesting discussion. When I moved to eastern Iowa, I was impressed by all the patches of woods and hills around what I considered smaller farms. I grew up in California, but visited my relatives as a kid in eastern South Dakota who have farmed there for over 100 years. I was use to large expansive areas of farmland with no trees except for windbreakers around farm house/structures in South Dakota. I have no experience with Ohio, so can't compare but the picture shown in this thread looks similar to what is found in eastern Iowa IMO.

I've heard somewhere that huge areas of wooded land were cut down in Iowa (eastern?) many years ago for farming.

Last edited by smpliving; 06-02-2017 at 08:27 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 09:40 AM

215 posts, read 283,155 times
There never were extensive forests in the native prairie areas, period. Ohio was always hilly forest, the Great Plains prairie grassland. Big bluestem was the tallest thing out here. Other than river areas, grass ruled. I know an Iowan who moved to Kearny, NE and was surprised by the lack of trees there.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:08 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
The soil in Iowa is not only some of the best in North America, it is some of the best in the world so not too surprising that almost every acre available is farmed.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
The soil in Iowa is not only some of the best in North America, it is some of the best in the world so not too surprising that almost every acre available is farmed.
Ohio has plenty of what the USDA calls "Prime Farmland". Once you get to the western half of Ohio north of US 35, it looks like any other part of the Midwest. (Except for the trees, that is.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_...d_USA_1997.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: