Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:54 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times

Advertisements

Just some food for thought - North Sioux City is in South Dakota, where there is no state income tax. Property taxes might be slightly lower too. However, you can shop in Iowa and/or Nebraska, where I believe there is no sales tax for groceries (but there is in SD).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 05:07 PM

4,862 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Just some food for thought - North Sioux City is in South Dakota, where there is no state income tax. Property taxes might be slightly lower too. However, you can shop in Iowa and/or Nebraska, where I believe there is no sales tax for groceries (but there is in SD).

Property taxes are actually slightly higher in SD for identical homes as a higher % of these tax dollars have to pay for more services because of the deletion of the state income tax. Everything else you stated would be correct. Licensing your car as well as the insurance would be less in SD also.

Of the 3 states Sioux City is connected to or abutting, Nebraska would most probably be the most expensive overall.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Property taxes are actually slightly higher in SD for identical homes as a higher % of these tax dollars have to pay for more services because of the deletion of the state income tax. Everything else you stated would be correct. Licensing your car as well as the insurance would be less in SD also.

Of the 3 states Sioux City is connected to or abutting, Nebraska would most probably be the most expensive overall.
I wasn't 100% sure about how the rates in IA, NE and SD stacked up against each other, but I do know that generally Midwestern states have higher-than-average prop tax rates. They do make up for this in the sales tax department, as they tend to be average-to-below average in that regard (Illinois I think is an exception). I believe MN's sales tax rate is also a bit above average, but this is also somewhat negated with the lack of tax for items such as non-prepared food, clothing, and medications.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I wasn't 100% sure about how the rates in IA, NE and SD stacked up against each other, but I do know that generally Midwestern states have higher-than-average prop tax rates. They do make up for this in the sales tax department, as they tend to be average-to-below average in that regard (Illinois I think is an exception). I believe MN's sales tax rate is also a bit above average, but this is also somewhat negated with the lack of tax for items such as non-prepared food, clothing, and medications.

All true. Minnesota's sales tax state wide is 6.875% which is higher than Nebraska (5.5% sales tax) SD (4.5% state tax) and Iowa's (4% state tax). All 4 states have additional city (Nebraska, SD, & Minnesota) or county (Iowa) taxes added depending on the locality. These range from additional .50% - 1% in some Minnesota towns up to 2% which is in most SD towns.

Where Minnesota gives you a break on sales tax for food and clothing, they really nail you with their state personal and corporate income tax. Over the years SD has benefitted greatly from companies moving their headquarters across the border primarily for the tax benefits.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 AM

449 posts, read 1,394,131 times
Each State has its own unique tax structure but Minnesota is consistently ranked as having one the highest overall tax rates in the U.S.

Quote:
All true. Minnesota's sales tax state wide is 6.875% which is higher than Nebraska (5.5% sales tax) SD (4.5% state tax) and Iowa's (4% state tax). All 4 states have additional city (Nebraska, SD, & Minnesota) or county (Iowa) taxes added depending on the locality. These range from additional .50% - 1% in some Minnesota towns up to 2% which is in most SD towns.

Where Minnesota gives you a break on sales tax for food and clothing, they really nail you with their state personal and corporate income tax. Over the years SD has benefitted greatly from companies moving their headquarters across the border primarily for the tax benefits.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
Each State has its own unique tax structure but Minnesota is consistently ranked as having one the highest overall tax rates in the U.S.
That doesn't surprise me in the least. Minnesota does tax fairly heavily, but it also has arguably the highest quality-of-life index in the land (there is a strong correlation between the two, by the way. Massachusetts would be another good example). It's on par with, and perhaps even exceeds, much of Canada. Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin aren't too far behind but MN is a rung above I think.

Southern states generally have both a lower overall tax rate and a lower overall QOL index, but they have absolutely no interest in making that trade-off. Most Southern residents would much prefer to keep more money in their pocket than to entrust it with the government (and who can blame them? Political corruption is a devastating disease in Dixie, too many of the tax dollars for schools, roads, public safety, etc. go in politicians' pockets).

Last edited by fezzador; 08-16-2017 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-16-2017, 03:21 PM

215 posts, read 283,388 times
Quote:
(and who can blame them? Political corruption is a devastating disease in Dixie, too many of the tax dollars for schools, roads, public safety, etc. go in politicians' pockets).
Replace "Dixie" with "Illinois" and this quote would still be accurate.

Anyway, We were looking at retiring to NE but property taxes are outrageous, for much the same reason as SD, large state, low population. MO seems to have a good balance, though they'd do much better if they could tax meth sales.

As to the OP, neighboring states would prefer an easily identified Iowa plate so they can avoid the vehicle; Iowa drivers are arguably some of the worst in the US. i.e. the only difference between the words "Stop" and "Slow" are two letters.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ION1010 View Post
As to the OP, neighboring states would prefer an easily identified Iowa plate so they can avoid the vehicle; Iowa drivers are arguably some of the worst in the US. i.e. the only difference between the words "Stop" and "Slow" are two letters.
I don't know about that, Iowa drivers are about average in my experience (aside from rudeness, where they are above-average). I find drivers from SD and AL to be incompetent.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ION1010 View Post
Replace "Dixie" with "Illinois" and this quote would still be accurate.

Anyway, We were looking at retiring to NE but property taxes are outrageous, for much the same reason as SD, large state, low population. MO seems to have a good balance, though they'd do much better if they could tax meth sales.

That's funny. Many years ago Iowa had dark blue license plates. The joke in South Dakota at the time was if you flunk your driver's test they issue you a blue license plate.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:39 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
That's funny. Many years ago Iowa had dark blue license plates. The joke in South Dakota at the time was if you flunk your driver's test they issue you a blue license plate.
LOL! That is funny! Thanks for sharing that tidbit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa