Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 12:50 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times

Advertisements

This is a battle that's mostly fought online. If you walked around Des Moines on an average day, you wouldn't hear most of this tripe. People are more concerned with traffic, weather, personal problems, and how their football team is doing -- maybe not quite in that order -- but those are the items that drive conversations at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 01:09 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
This is a battle that's mostly fought online. If you walked around Des Moines on an average day, you wouldn't hear most of this tripe. People are more concerned with traffic, weather, personal problems, and how their football team is doing -- maybe not quite in that order -- but those are the items that drive conversations at the moment.
Agreed, and that's what makes the Midwest such a gem for life quality today.

People in Des Moines are still overwhelmingly sane. Live out here for a while and you never again take that for granted.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:29 PM

638 posts, read 974,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
There is nothing "narrow minded" about soundly rejecting and denouncing the looniness and the increasingly violent tactics of today's "progressive" left.

Doing so is not even partisan....it is simply called sanity.
Agreed, there seems to be a lot of liberals even who are tired of the regressive left/SJW crowd.

Anyway, the OP probably doesn't care if Iowa is conservative or not since she's from and is planning to move to a rural area. Rural areas tend to be more conservative unless we're talking about New England.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:56 PM

576 posts, read 831,416 times
Quote:
In the opinion of most average Americans.

you?

You make too many assumptions.
Personally, I could care less about politics. It's a losing battle, and a fantasy to think that any common citizen has any say in the matter. There are good and bad ideas on both sides - No one party or ideology has a lock on sanity (or insanity for that matter!). However, I will certainly not try to interfere with your right to believe you are one or the other!

Old 10-31-2017, 01:50 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times

Old 10-31-2017, 02:00 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
There is some truth to that, but a lot of folks that leaned left or right ten years ago, are probably more hardcore now.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:12 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Agreed, and that's what makes the Midwest such a gem for life quality today.

People in Des Moines are still overwhelmingly sane. Live out here for a while and you never again take that for granted.
That's one thing I like about the Midwest. I lived out west for years and every other sentence during the Obama administration was about he was ruining everything and it was always whining about liberals. Even in North Dakota, which is more red than Iowa, people don't whine so much.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:04 AM

127 posts, read 209,155 times
Default Do you know anything about Marcus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowafarmgirl View Post
Be aware Iowa is a Republican state.
I posted a new question about Marcus. If you have any advice about it I would appreciate it

Old 03-15-2018, 08:24 AM

22 posts, read 21,178 times
Hello! You are coming from MN so you'll have less cultural shock on several levels. In the CR area certain schooldistricts are better than others - Linn Mar, College Community are well funded. Good tax base. You increase likelihood to find a job in your field if you are willing to commute within the corridor region as it is called. I can't speak to the home buying options. The SE quad of the city is known for the flooding. Good luck to you!

Old 03-21-2018, 12:19 PM

501 posts, read 359,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
There is some truth to that, but a lot of folks that leaned left or right ten years ago, are probably more hardcore now.
I am from the land of crazy - California.

Most of the folks I have known over time have leaned left....

But those same folks are clearly not hardcore now....

In fact most of them are solidly smack in the middle of moderate....

The latest left hardcore seems to be the new vocal minority ...

JMHO and observations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa