U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 07:24 PM

9,258 posts, read 17,895,851 times

Advertisements

Mount Sterling is pretty much everybody's dream town.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 05:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,428 times
Pella - Beautifully kept up town with easy 4 lane access to Des Moines. I personally
wouldn't move there because it's too Dutch for me and I AM HALF DUTCH. Still,
it's a lovely community.

I was seriously considering moving to Pella if my book takes off. It just seems to have a nice balance of utility and livability (near enough to a big city and practically no crime). But then I read this. I don't know much about Dutch culture outside of tulips, wooden shoes, sticking fingers in dikes, and their infamous ovens. So, why should I be deterred from moving to Pella? What threat do the Dutch pose?

Old 08-11-2017, 07:45 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,628,177 times
Not sure if serious ^^^

The Dutch culture is pretty subdued in Pella. Yes, a lot of folks that live there are of Dutch descent and honor their heritage, but it's not like it's drastically different than any other small Midwestern town.

Northwest Iowa Dutch *are* a bit different though, but the difference is mostly religious and political. Pella's not nearly so extreme.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,428 times
As far as moving to Pella, I'm quite serious, Fezzador. I've been scouring the Internet for months trying to find the perfect place to live out the last quarter of my life. Among the finalists were Clear Lake, Eldridge and Boone. But, subjectively, Pella outscored them all in my pertinent categories: crime, education, amenities, housing cost and cost of living. And, yeah, I may have come off a little sarcastic about Dutch culture. Sorry. But, I read someone on these boards say that he wouldn't live in Pella even if someone gave him a house there. And someone else, a newcomer to Pella, was warned by the neighbors that she'd be "shunned" (WTF) if she continued to mow her lawn on a Sunday. So, maybe I should add another category to my destination parameters: religious fervor.

Last edited by michael spaur; 08-11-2017 at 09:26 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 09:23 AM

3,792 posts, read 5,134,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael spaur View Post
As far as moving to Pella, I'm quite serious, Fezzador. I've been scouring the Internet for months trying to find the perfect place to live out the last quarter of my life. Among the finalists were Clear Lake, Eldridge and Boone. But, subjectively, Pella outscored them all in the pertinent categories: crime, education, amenities, housing cost and cost of living. And, yeah, I may have come off a little sarcastic about Dutch culture. But, when someone says that he wouldn't live in Pella even if someone gave him a house there, it makes you think.

I'll back off my comment on Pella somewhat. It's a solid Dutch community (count all the Reformed churches) and that tells me that the people are on a parallel with those in NW Iowa which I'm VERY familiar with and where I have many relatives. I may be wrong as I really don't have a real connection to the Pella community and they may be different.

The Dutch of NW Iowa are always in your business, highly critical of everyone that's not them, and massively judgmental. They'll be nice to your face and stab you in the back when given the chance. When they get caught doing this their response is that they'll "pray for you". Get this straight, you caught them screwing you, but they're praying for YOU.

My father who was 100% Dutch always said that some of his favorite people were Dutch. He just hated Hollanders (which to him defined the attitude).

Old 08-12-2017, 08:39 AM

16 posts, read 16,232 times
Williamsburg.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:31 PM

6,147 posts, read 5,766,167 times
Decorah really is the nicest town in Iowa. Economically strong, environmentally beautiful, and a lot to do. There's a lot of competition for housing there, though, and prices have risen drastically in recent years. It's also gotten a little "chi chi" - for Iowa, anyway.

But then, also in the NE, there's Harper's Ferry, McGregor, and Elkader.

On the Mississippi, I thought Bellevue was cute. I've heard that the MS river towns have meth issues, though,

Near Iowa City, I agree about Mt. Vernon - it's SO pretty. I also thought West Branch was very nice and interesting, and Kalona is also pretty.

But if you want to be near family in Ames, you really can't go wrong with Story City. You'll be doing most of your shopping in Ames, but you'll go home to a comfortable, attractive, much more affordable, clean small town. My best friend in the world lives there and I love to visit her and her husband in their gorgeous Queen Anne house, which they bought for a pittance. Also, for the person above researching a place to retire - Ames has the Osher Institute for Iowa (classes for people over 50), and if you lived in Story City it would be very easy to drive down and take these classes. I've found the Osher classes (OLLI) to be the best way to meet like minded retirees and make new friends. I suppose you could do this from Boone, too - but Boone is Boone.

The "Villages of Van Buren" in southern Iowa are a surprise. SO pretty! Keosauqua, Mt. Sterling, and Bentonsport all have a historic feel.

One of my very favorite Iowa trips was a visit to the Dutchman's Store in Cantril - but I suppose if you're not Amish it wouldn't be the place to live.

West of Des Moines, Elk Horn is a town I'd surely visit again.

My favorite little town near where I live now is Akron. It is cute, clean, seems to be economically healthy, and you always see children outside playing and biking around town. Their annual Scarecrow Festival is really fun.

I know most of these towns as a tourist (with the exception of Decorah, Story City and Akron, all of which I know pretty well), so OP will have to do due diligence and research the current status of the economy, the schools, and crime (meth and opiods in particular) in the other communities I've mentioned.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 08-12-2017 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Used the word "cute" too many times!

Old 08-14-2017, 02:44 PM

104 posts, read 311,712 times
Thanks everyone these are great suggestions. I've been to Decorah once for a quick kayaking trip and "on paper" it sounds great.

601halfdozen0theother-funny enough I grew up in Story City and am very familiar with its charms but don't see myself going back. Meth and opiods really do concern me but I realize no place is perfect. On a daily basis drunk and distracted driving scares me more but that's a whole other thread. Thanks again!

Old 08-14-2017, 03:06 PM

3,792 posts, read 5,134,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markey View Post
Thanks everyone these are great suggestions. I've been to Decorah once for a quick kayaking trip and "on paper" it sounds great.

601halfdozen0theother-funny enough I grew up in Story City and am very familiar with its charms but don't see myself going back. Meth and opiods really do concern me but I realize no place is perfect. On a daily basis drunk and distracted driving scares me more but that's a whole other thread. Thanks again!

Good luck on finding a small community now anywhere that Meth & Opiod problems aren't a factor.

At the small town I grew up in at the time few of us even knew what marijuana smelled like and this was only 20 miles from Sioux Falls. This was during the 60's and 70's when the so-called hippie culture was in full bloom. I wish we had those days of innocence now.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:17 PM

2,463 posts, read 1,798,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markey View Post
Hi,
I was curious, if family obligations and/or employment opportunities were not a factor where would you live in Iowa? My husband and I can work remotely so we have a bit more flexibility in our ability to choose a town to relocate to so I'm curious to hear your favorite towns/cities and why.

Thanks!
Des Moines or suburbs, but then I like a place big enough to make new friends and where there's a lot to do, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or