U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:30 PM

12 posts, read 105,916 times

Advertisements

How is life in the Ames area? Cost of living compared to other parts of the midwest? Is it possible to easily find 5-10 acres---we have 2 horses. How are the schools and crime? Are people friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 PM

10 posts, read 31,528 times
I graduated from Ames High at a time when we had the state champion teams in track, basketball, academic decathlon, etc. By all means, the Ames schools have been superlative by national standards. Even the jocks had a lot of brains; it must have a lot to do with Iowa State faculty. The housing is not so entry-level priced because of that established wealth. The voters even decided they could afford to build a multi-million dollar outdoor aquatic park. Crime is nearly nil. Can't comment from personal experience on land or property taxes, but you know how farmland values have skyrocketed with crop prices.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 PM

49 posts, read 156,653 times
We have an area NE of Ames thats designed for ppl with horses. i cant rember the developments name, its N of 13th st, W of Dayton Rd just west of I/35. near the NADC vet labs.maybe someone knows the name. a relator would, contact them. big places probly 5/10 acers is average. lots of open country and small towns around if you cant find what you want.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:17 PM

39 posts, read 97,189 times
Default Places for ISU students with kids

So, where do ISU students live who are married and have children? We're considering a PhD program at ISU, but we want to find out more about the area to decide if it would be a good fit for our family.

We are open to renting or buying. We'd like good schools. We're not hung up on living in the nicest area, but we'd like decent access to shopping, dining, etc.

Also, we're Westerners who know about earthquakes but are a little freaked out by tornadoes. How common are they?

Appreciate any thoughts!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:51 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,667,230 times
I'm pretty sure Ames doesn't really have any bad schools. It's a nice community but it's not huge so shopping and food are always going to be relatively close.

As for tornadoes - it's highly unlikely you will have to encounter one that is headed toward your house. However - I won't lie to you, Iowa does get a hefty share of Tornadic Storms. Iowa is ranked #6 for the total number of tornadoes each year. Don't let that scare you though, like I said, it's highly unlikely you will be a victim... plus we have basements!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
I'm pretty sure Ames doesn't really have any bad schools. It's a nice community but it's not huge so shopping and food are always going to be relatively close.

As for tornadoes - it's highly unlikely you will have to encounter one that is headed toward your house. However - I won't lie to you, Iowa does get a hefty share of Tornadic Storms. Iowa is ranked #6 for the total number of tornadoes each year. Don't let that scare you though, like I said, it's highly unlikely you will be a victim... plus we have basements!
Thanks, Metro! That's good to know about the schools and shopping and such. What about college vs. non-college areas? We live in a university town now, and there are areas we would never recommend for a family moving here because those areas are overrun by students. Any further info that way?

On the tornadoes, I saw that #6 ranking in my research, and it spooked me a bit. I don't know why tornadoes should be so much more frightening to me than earthquakes---maybe because you can actually see the tornado coming? Maybe because of Wizard of Oz? Who knows! Anyway, thanks for the comforting thoughts.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:58 PM

296 posts, read 1,116,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkFiend View Post
I don't know why tornadoes should be so much more frightening to me than earthquakes---maybe because you can actually see the tornado coming? Maybe because of Wizard of Oz? Who knows! Anyway, thanks for the comforting thoughts.
See, that's the wonderful part about them -- you not only can see them coming, but the weather analysis software now can see them forming. Thus you get lots of warning ahead of time. Usually, the warning is too broad, so you head to the basement and absolutely nothing happens, but better safe than sorry, right?

I spent years in CA as a kid, and you know how the thing with tremors is to be real nonchalant? Well, I hate to say it, but Iowans are that way about tornadoes. In the little Iowa town where I spent the remainder of my childhood, the tornado siren was a signal for everyone to go out and stand in the middle of the street and look for the tornado. We never saw it, but, sadly, the tornado finally found the town a couple of years ago. Several houses were destroyed, but no one was hurt because everyone has so much warning nowadays. The biggest thing about tornadoes is that they LOVE trailer parks. DO NOT stay in a trailer park. Did you see Disney's Cars? "I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park," Mater said, and he weren't whistlin' Dixie.

Not being in a trailer park, we keep a battery-operated radio handy in the basement and some flashlights, and I was just thinking the other day that, since I'm unlikely to get snowed in again, it's time to start using up some of the food that's been stocked up in the freezer... lest we lose power to spring lightning and it all spoiled. This definitely is the land of lightning -- DO put everything you care about on a surge protector -- we have one for the whole house and then ones for each electronic device -- and either surge protect your phone lines or unplug them from the wall during storms... or be prepared to replace a lot of stuff.

But we don't have nearly as much tornado and lightning activity as the lower plains states do. Remember that the movie Twister was pretty much about Oklahoma, and they're the ones who have the real excitement.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:40 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,667,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
But we don't have nearly as much tornado and lightning activity as the lower plains states do. Remember that the movie Twister was pretty much about Oklahoma, and they're the ones who have the real excitement.
Since Twister is my favorite movie - I will point out that the second half of 'Twister' was filmed in Iowa. Mostly Story County, and Hardin County. (Ames and surrounding area. )

And yes, it's true we aren't as bad as Oklahoma - but I do feel that some people under-rate Iowa's tornado activity. Personally, I love tornadic storms.

Seriously though, I would take a tornado over an earthquake any day. As woodwardgirl said - it's easy to stay safe way in advance because of tornado warnings. (and sirens if you are in a populated area)

Old 04-05-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
SThe biggest thing about tornadoes is that they LOVE trailer parks. DO NOT stay in a trailer park. Did you see Disney's Cars? "I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park," Mater said, and he weren't whistlin' Dixie.
We are big Pixar fans in our house, so we will remember this with another quote from Mater: "To not to [live in a trailer park]." Thanks for the great tips. Between your message and Metro's, I'm feeling much better about that aspect of considering a move to IA.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,262,950 times
There's an old folk tale that tornadoes never touch down in Des Moines because of the rivers. This isn't true, but people swear by it.

During the spring we'll get some abnormally strong windstorms here and there, but odds are you will not encounter a tornado or even have any close calls with them. I've seen them way off in the distance, but never too close. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: