U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 05:17 PM

4,290 posts, read 3,939,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownr View Post
. Honestly the immigration issue is more apt to stir up the older conservative crowd than gays living among them.

So, as a Hispanic, should I avoid Traveling through this state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 06:38 PM

4,093 posts, read 2,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
Why is it any of their business what goes on in America's bedrooms?

Because it's no longer kept in the privacy of the bedroom. When it was made a public matter (pride parades and festivals, for example), it became subject to discourse.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:45 PM

195 posts, read 146,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

https://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ti...63a34c158.html

“The Hispanic community are Iowans. They have the same values as Iowans,” he said. “As far as I’m concerned, they’re Iowans with better food.”
Most of us feel this way.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 AM

568 posts, read 176,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxandBebe View Post
My partner and I are thinking about relocating from Los Angeles to Iowa. We know the eastern part of the state is more liberal with places like Iowa City, Davenport, Des Moines but I'm originally from Nebraska and have friends and contacts in Omaha and Lincoln so we are looking at small town in the southwest quarter such as Council Bluffs, Red Oak, Creston, Shenandoah, Clarinda, Glenwood, etc. Ideally, we'd purchase an old house or downtown building and restore it in order to create some type of business. We understand that there won't be any "gay" lifestyle and that is okay but we're a bit worried about safety and harassment. We've been in LA for twenty years and are hoping with gay marriage being legal in Iowa for almost a decade now that things are a bit more liberal than before. Can anyone provide any information on what this transition might be like. Thanks.
Like abortion, a lot of people think homosexuality is wrong.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:17 PM

15 posts, read 5,824 times
I would check out a larger community. Iowa city; Omaha. If you want a larger city in the area that is liberal- Minneapolis / St. Paul.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:31 AM

278 posts, read 93,194 times
Reading this thread, I hope OP picked another place.

I just chuckled. Welcome to open-minded Iowa. Be who you are.....just don't talk about it.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:36 AM

681 posts, read 210,726 times
Well what’s the update? Did you move yet?

Old 09-05-2018, 12:02 AM

459 posts, read 142,885 times
A more general problem with small towns is that some people (this is coming from personal experience) feel that because they are in a small town, or they came from a small town, that they are entitled to know EVERYTHING about you. The fact that they are not beating you over the head about it is not the problem. The problem is that they are intrusive, by asking you personal questions and "sharing" with you WAYYYY too much about their own personal lives and the personal lives (and their problems) of other people they know.

I find it VERY annoying. I had to quit a job I had in Montrose CO because this woman from a small town in that part of the country could not shut her trap and was always trying to "help" me by suggesting this, and that, on things in my personal life that were none of her business whatsoever, and then talking about me behind my back. In her small-minded (small town) mind, it's perfectly normal. It's as if a small town is one big family, so your business is my business and vice versa.

So, if you are from a big city and move to a small town, it doesn't matter if you're gay or straight. Be prepared for a bunch of personal inquiries that will make you want to tear your hair out. Unless that is what you want, then you'll love it. Join in the fun and intrude into your neighbor's personal life almost like you're married to them. Ughhhh....

Old 09-05-2018, 09:56 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,634,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglearjet View Post
In some small towns in the Midwest, being gay might result in being dead. At least once people find out.

In general, tolerance is proportional to the inverse of the square of the population of a city/town. Skeleton Flats, Nebraska is not a good place to be gay (or not white, or...). Omaha is probably OK (in that respect, at least).

Except that most - actually pretty much all - LGBT-targeted homicides occur somewhere other than small towns in the Midwest.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 16 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,849,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

I think they meant the ILLEGAL immigration issue. I'm Hispanic and a legal immigrant myself. And I'm very against people breaking the law and coming into this country the wrong way. It seems I am on board with a lot of Iowans on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or