U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 07:01 AM

191 posts, read 140,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Oh please. Dramatic much? While it can be cold and windy at times, Iowa is not Minnesota -- or one of the other states whose southern boundaries are NORTH of Iowa.
You're welcome. Iowa weather can be very dramatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM

16,279 posts, read 19,771,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
That's the best thing about Iowa, you get a healthy dose of all four seasons. The spring and fall are to die for, and the summers and winters are just about right, length-wise.
We have 4 seasons right here in Las Vegas. Coming from MN, when it gets down to the 30's at night here in December or January and you have one of our notorious wind blasters come through here with 50-60MPH winds, (average annual wind speed is 9.2MPH here) you have a windchill close to zero! I've been here 22 years and I look forward to all 4 seasons here, except winter, that's when I wish I had the money to have a condo in southern FL! And, even richer, I'd have a summer place in Poor Man's San Francisco: Duluth!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:49 AM

8,877 posts, read 15,451,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ION1010 View Post
March 1st, 1962, -32 F. Welcome to Spring in Iowa.
I'm not sure where you're from, but around here Spring doesn't start until March 20.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:34 PM

20,089 posts, read 34,241,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
And don't forget about the wind. Iowa certainly has a fair bit of wind (hence the hundreds upon hundreds of acres of wind turbines), but it's got NOTHING on the wind in the Dakotas, Nebraska, and even western Minnesota. That's a bona-fide wind tunnel right there.
Spring doesn't start in the UP of Michigan until early June. I remember it being in the upper teens in late May one year there.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:01 PM

191 posts, read 140,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I'm not sure where you're from, but around here Spring doesn't start until March 20.
Meteorological Spring starts March 1st.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:22 PM

20,089 posts, read 34,241,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I love me some Northern MN (lived there longer than I lived in Iowa and Arkansas), but no, the North Woods aren't as pretty as the Ozarks, because the North Woods are mostly coniferous, while the Ozarks woods are mostly deciduous.

Which is why parts of Iowa are prettier than the North Woods of MN. Very Northeast Iowa is one of the most gorgeous parts of America!

Agree about the weather, though. Cold over heat, ALWAYS! Fortunately, Iowa gets a nice long winter.
And what is wrong with the Northwoods being coniferous? At least it doesn't contain poisonous snakes like the Ozarks do. If you want more of a variety of coniferous with deciduous, Northern WI is a better bet compared to the Iron Range of MN northward. Yes, the Driftless Region of MN, IA, and WI is quite nice, I applied for a position at the edge of that area recently in Black River Falls, WI, but did not get it unfortunately. I'm still stuck in the Ohio Valley, unfortunately- wouldn't wish this area of the country on my worst enemy.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:10 PM

511 posts, read 189,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
Interesting article in the news today.

U.S. News & World Report has ranked Iowa the #1 state in the country based on eight categories - health care, education, economy, opportunity, infrastructure, crime and corrections, fiscal stability and quality of life.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-and-education
#1 in healthcare? Life saving cannabis possession is guaranteed jail. MJ-no deaths, pills kill 225,000+ a year, when used as intended. About 20% of Americans use cannabis, but police need to protect profits?!

#1 in crime and corrections? Does that involve keeping people safe by jailing non-violent cannabis users? It makes people non-violent if anything can. Should police prioritize going after non-violent people?

Does #1 in crimes and corrections mean hefty fines for trivialities? Going 3 mph over speed limit = fines, favored by rich as low income people pay a much higher % of income. But cannabis users can be pulled over and go jail if they are being cautious going under speed limit. Does it make sense? Does #1 in crimes and corrections mean prison for people who haven't been proven guilty, just in case verdict was wrong?

Might there be a difference between $$ spent on education and quality of education?

If cannabis was legalized and taxed, instead of having police chase harmless people, wouldn't those hundreds of millions from taxing it be even better fiscal policy? If police, lawyers and others fear loss of income, wouldn't it make sense to give them part of the taxes? They'd find enough violent crimes & thefts to keep them in business, wouldn't they? Also, I think individual cities and counties could opt out of the legalization, similar to states having dry counties for alcohol. Best wishes, all.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:31 AM

4,953 posts, read 5,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm still stuck in the Ohio Valley, unfortunately- wouldn't wish this area of the country on my worst enemy.
Hanging out in the Hocking Hills helped me, although I have to admit that my heart was up at Kelley's Island & Marblehead. No jobs for me in either place, but both were good for a vacation.

I'm really happy with my move to Des Moines, but I have to admit that I do miss the occasional weekend along the shores of the Great Lakes. I hope that I have more time and money this summer so that I can take a trip to Duluth. That's the only thing I really miss about Ohio -- a summer weekend at the lake, early or late in the season -- was really special.

Added: Okay, I miss Tim Horton's coffee and muffins, too. However, I've found some good local replacements.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:34 AM

8,611 posts, read 8,742,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I have visited Iowa, and it is very flat, has terrible weather, and to me it would appear to be a boring and uninteresting place to live. How could such a state rank #1 when it does not offer the desirable characteristics of a place to live?
I'm guessing by "visited" you mean "drove through on interstate 80" which cuts a line through the most boring, flattest part of the state. If you venture away from I80 you find the state is actually not that flat. Lots of rolling hills to be found as well as bluffs. I grew up in Burlington and as a kid never understood the Iowa is flat stereotype because Burlington is very hilly.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:25 PM

2,938 posts, read 4,330,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'm guessing by "visited" you mean "drove through on interstate 80" which cuts a line through the most boring, flattest part of the state. If you venture away from I80 you find the state is actually not that flat. Lots of rolling hills to be found as well as bluffs. I grew up in Burlington and as a kid never understood the Iowa is flat stereotype because Burlington is very hilly.

I'm guessing that the drive was on U.S. Hwy. 18 or 20. The only "flat" part of Iowa is the upper 1/3rd of the northwest and north central part. The entire stretch of I-80 is rolling hills.

It's amusing that Highpointer's comment comes from someone living in Washington state. It's all relative as to what someone considers flat based on where they're coming from. Compared to Washington's high mountain western terrain yeah, Iowa's flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or