Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 02:28 PM

215 posts, read 280,747 times

Advertisements

March 1st, 1962, -32 F. Welcome to Spring in Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 02:38 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,860,124 times
My friend is from Iowa and he always says Best Thing about Iowa is your in Iowa, worst thing about Iowa you are in Iowa. Whatever that means. It has its pro's and con's like every other state.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:39 PM

614 posts, read 1,369,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyroundtree View Post
I stopped reading that list at Iowa #1
I have visited Iowa, and it is very flat, has terrible weather, and to me it would appear to be a boring and uninteresting place to live. How could such a state rank #1 when it does not offer the desirable characteristics of a place to live?

Old 03-08-2018, 05:08 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,547,687 times
It's just a magazine article. Anyway, funny how for years the Carolinas were the "place to go", and now, not so hot apparently, no longer at the top of the "it" list.

I lived in Montana for a couple of years. That's where I found the City Data Forum, in 2006. The native Montanans at the time were experiencing changes that they were not very happy with, much due in part to an influx of people because some magazine article said that said Montana was the best place to live.

Remember, It's just a magazine article.

Quality of life is something very different to everyone. A magazine has no idea what that really is.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:38 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,705,812 times
When you rank a "best state", you might want to look at where people actually are moving.

Who's moving to Iowa? My dear mother was born in Iowa, but hello, it's not like people are flocking there.

Rate things for popularity as you will, but the truer measure is where people are actually MOVING.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:08 PM

555 posts, read 496,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
When you rank a "best state", you might want to look at where people actually are moving.

Who's moving to Iowa? My dear mother was born in Iowa, but hello, it's not like people are flocking there.

Rate things for popularity as you will, but the truer measure is where people are actually MOVING.
Hmmm, no, I disagree. There is a difference between rating a "best state" based on a certain set of criteria and rating a state based on its popularity as a location du jour.

I just moved out of a very, very popular state in the Sunbelt TO Iowa. Would it have been my first choice? No. I was very hesitant at first, but we couldn't turn down the job offer my spouse got. We have since experienced a significantly improved quality of life here in ways I couldn't have fully predicted (outside the weather, which is always going to be debatable based on personal preference). I've gone from insisting on a 2-3 year trial period to accepting that we might be here for a decade or more. We have children and it's a great place to raise them.

A little secret: When you join the throngs of people moving to an extremely popular place, there is going to be a LOT of competition to get what you want out of your experience there (unless, perhaps, you are in the top tier of wealth, in which case it's not going to matter quite as much where you live). And as more people move to that place, the increased pressure on infrastructure, resources, etc., increases and quality of life eventually becomes impacted. I, for one, am glad to be out of the pressure cooker of an environment in which people are constantly moving into... although as a DSM metro resident, it's clear there are certainly people moving here pretty regularly too.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 PM

555 posts, read 496,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ION1010 View Post
March 1st, 1962, -32 F. Welcome to Spring in Iowa.
Oh please. Dramatic much? While it can be cold and windy at times, Iowa is not Minnesota -- or one of the other states whose southern boundaries are NORTH of Iowa.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:42 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Oh please. Dramatic much? While it can be cold and windy at times, Iowa is not Minnesota -- or one of the other states whose southern boundaries are NORTH of Iowa.
Iowa is mild. February 1996, Tower, MN was -60F air temperature with no wind chill.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:53 AM

4,826 posts, read 6,833,075 times
My 2 oldest kids who live there laugh at the people that complain about the cold weather while living in the central part of Iowa. Middle to Southern Iowa gets snow melting throughout the winter, EVERY winter. Wind chills below -10 degrees hardly ever occurs. You get ALL the seasons without being brutalized. Try northern Minnesota/Wisconsin for the real cold or get out to the Dakotas or even western Nebraska where the wind chill coming down from the Arctic has nothing in it's way. This is where the real ground blizzards occur that most of Iowa hardly ever incur.

The summers in Iowa are the right length and even though it has a stretch in July and August where the humidity can be high, are not beastly hot.

Also, the state seldom gets any major droughts like so much of the country gets.

Weather is a big plus when it comes to Iowa being a desirable place to live.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,230,272 times
And don't forget about the wind. Iowa certainly has a fair bit of wind (hence the hundreds upon hundreds of acres of wind turbines), but it's got NOTHING on the wind in the Dakotas, Nebraska, and even western Minnesota. That's a bona-fide wind tunnel right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa