U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 09:21 PM

6,206 posts, read 8,356,135 times

Advertisements

Reading a lot of threads between Iowa and Indiana lately, finding parallels and a lot of similarities, I found that one common theme on the Iowa forum is that whenever the Quad Cites are brought up in an Iowa forum, there is often a barrage of mixed, heated, and sometimes negative comments to go along with it.

I was actually born in the Quad Cities, on the Illinois side in Rock Island, and most of my extended family still lives there and in the surrounding area, on both sides of the river. My immediate family relocated to the South Bend area in Indiana when I was about 5, where I too reside, in the neighboring city of Mishawaka. Lately I have been making more visits to the Quad Cities in an effort to visit more of my extended family members. My parents are from there originally, and my father will sometimes reminisce on how things were there, and how certain aspects of life were better in that area, but that housing prices and property taxes and an overall lack of jobs in his career field forced him to move elsewhere.

What I have noticed in my visits to the Quad Cities as an adult now is that they feel and look different from most of the rest of Illinois, and apart from the small portions of Iowa that I have visited, they look and feel different from much the rest of Iowa too. In all honesty, The Quad Cities metro feels very similar in size, amenities, political affiliation, and labor pool to the South Bend/Mishawaka area, I'm not sure how familiar anyone is with those cities, but both areas are definitely rust belt cities in my book, and it would appear that Davenport has done a wonderful job of reinventing itself.

The root question I am asking here, is how do most Iowans feel about The Quad Cities? I often read posters in these forums rave about the quality of life and the friendliness and communal benefits that Iowa offers. Is it the same in the Quad Cities? And for the sake of the Metro region, if you're familiar, please include Rock Island and Moline as well. I do not know, but from my experience Davenport feels like the principal city of the MSA, but Moline and Rock Island have a still visible gritty and rust belt past in their downtown cores. Some posters mention that Davenport crime is high, higher than most other cities in Iowa, which also feels similar to South Bend, which in its own right is dealing with higher than average crime and murders, although like most cities, they are in a few concentrated and highly impoverished neighborhoods.

So what is your perception of the Quad Cities from an Iowan viewpoint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 08:59 AM

146 posts, read 37,534 times
I grew up (and now live) in northern Iowa, and spent about 10 years in Ames/Des Moines. I really never went to the Quad Cities until I met folks from there in college and visited them.

I think they are the one part of Iowa that's culturally similar to the Rust Belt. Iowa, as a whole isn't part of the Rust Belt at all, but the Quad Cities (and Dubuque to a lesser extent) share that aesthetic. Something about the architecture is just more Eastern, for lack of a better term. You see more row houses, high density residential neighborhoods, etc.

I enjoy their kind of blue collar, river town feel and think downtown Davenport is a pretty good time. At the end of the day, they're older than most of the rest of Iowa, and just seem to be part of a different time/place.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:01 AM

Iowa forum feels pretty slow as of late...

Old 07-14-2018, 03:43 PM

195 posts, read 146,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Iowa forum feels pretty slow as of late...
Well, 3 days...
The weather's been warm, we'll take advantage of it. -27 to +90 is like,,,, a bunch of degrees.

Coming from Chicago, my first adult experience with the Quad Cities was the Air Show. Laid back, uncrowded, and we got on the interstate in less than 20 minutes due to "Iowa Nice". Then we moved here 18 years ago. Peeps are still Iowa Nice. We're in NE Iowa.

I like the Quad Cities even though they are "Rust Belt". I used to watch KWQC in Illinois while we were 'camping' at Woodhaven Lakes. The station got weird.

Schnucks. Man, I love that store. Bettendorf.

Does Arsenal Island still have tours?

The Niabi zoo gets you up close to big cats. I never saw the spots on a black panther until then. The cougar locked eyes on my (then) 8 year old. I thought it considered him prey until I found out they regularly brought him around to schools.

Other than that, it's a standard, middle populated city(s), like Sioux Falls, San Antonio, or any other generic American city.

Oh, yeah, the boy is now a USAF Airman probably due to the coolness of the QCAS.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ION1010 View Post
Well, 3 days...
The weather's been warm, we'll take advantage of it. -27 to +90 is like,,,, a bunch of degrees.

Coming from Chicago, my first adult experience with the Quad Cities was the Air Show. Laid back, uncrowded, and we got on the interstate in less than 20 minutes due to "Iowa Nice". Then we moved here 18 years ago. Peeps are still Iowa Nice. We're in NE Iowa.

I like the Quad Cities even though they are "Rust Belt". I used to watch KWQC in Illinois while we were 'camping' at Woodhaven Lakes. The station got weird.

Schnucks. Man, I love that store. Bettendorf.

Does Arsenal Island still have tours?

The Niabi zoo gets you up close to big cats. I never saw the spots on a black panther until then. The cougar locked eyes on my (then) 8 year old. I thought it considered him prey until I found out they regularly brought him around to schools.

Other than that, it's a standard, middle populated city(s), like Sioux Falls, San Antonio, or any other generic American city.

Oh, yeah, the boy is now a USAF Airman probably due to the coolness of the QCAS.
It's a standard middle populated city like San Antonio? San Antonio has almost as many people in the metro area as the state of Iowa. I'm confused.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:12 AM

195 posts, read 146,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It's a standard middle populated city like San Antonio? San Antonio has almost as many people in the metro area as the state of Iowa. I'm confused.
Generic grey housing tracts, restaurants, shopping, etc....
Plop down in any one and you won't know where you are, they're all the same, including suburbs of larger metros. The only character towns have now is their historic centers.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:32 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,634,204 times
I honestly can't say that I have any views on the Quad cities.

I grew up in western Illinois and now live in southeast Iowa and have never lived more than a couple of hours from the Cities. Here's a summary of my visits there over the past 50 years:
  • Once when I was a teenager to pick up an aunt at the airport.
  • Four times when I worked at a brokerage firm: three times to take FINRA tests at a testing center in Bettendorf, and once to perform an audit of a financial advisor's office in Davenport.

That's it, other than a handful of times just passing through.

The area's just never had any appeal for me. It's not big enough to have anything that makes me say "Wow, I really want to see that", yet not small enough to be quaint. The river's great, but I don't have to drive that far to see the river.

The most memorable thing about the Quad Cities to me were the commercials for Lujack-Schierbrock Chevrolet that used to play on Channel 8 when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa