U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 396 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I am planning to make a move from Ca to Dubuque, Iowa. I'm tired of the ridiculous cost of living, snobby flaunty people, non-whites looking for a free ride, hipsters, etc. I am 22 years old falling flat on my face here again and again and cannot find any work here that is not seasonal. Trust me, I am not your typical millennial, I want to find a safer, more conservative city to start a family, out here, it is seemingly impossible. Most importantly, how are jobs in the state of iowa? How are the people? How is the cost of living? If you live here would love to find out. The weather is not an issue as I'm not from southern california, but am from the Sierra Nevada mountains where it snows like a mutha which I'm quite used to. Promise, I will not move here to talk about how wonderful California is, as you can see here, I already hate it. Plan to visit iowa this November to check it out. You're input would be greatly appreciated and any heads up as well. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 04:42 AM

6,205 posts, read 8,352,813 times
You're planning on moving to Iowa without a job lined up first?

The racist comments in the first paragraph left me inclined to take you less seriously. Just because Iowa has a higher percentage of white people, do not expect them to partake in your bashing of other races.

You should list what type of work you are looking for. Dubuque is not a major city and will not have as many different types of work as say Davenport/Quad Cities area or Des Moines.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:17 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,249,329 times
Iowa is not as conservative as you think, especially the eastern part of the state where most of the major population centers lean Democratic. If you're wanting conservative, you'd be better off looking at the western part of the state...places like Sioux City or Fort Dodge. Beware though--the "red" parts of the state are also the areas in decline...mostly tied to agriculture and unwilling to diversify their economies. I grew up in the western part of the state and there is little opportunity for young people to stick around in some of the smaller towns and rural areas. They usually wind up in Des Moines, Omaha, or other cities...or just leave altogether. Sioux City is the largest city in Western Iowa (excluding the Omaha/CB metro) and its population has been stagnant for decades.

Dubuque is actually becoming a pretty hip city, so you may not like it if you don't like hipsters. It's one of the most unique and scenic cities in Iowa and is starting to attract more tourism. There is a lot of new development in the old Millwork District--several new breweries and restaurants have opened recently. Dubuque has historically not been as progressive as other nearby cities like Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, but I've noticed that has been changing in the last several years.

Unemployment is extremely low here, among the lowest in the nation (around 2.5%). Therefore, if you are coming without a job lined up you may have some difficulty finding one right away if you are looking for a specific field of work.

Cost of living is very cheap. Des Moines is the most expensive metro, but it is still relatively cheap compared to other cities within a 3-4 hour radius (Minneapolis, Madison, St Louis). Iowa City is also a more expensive metro due to it being a college town. $175-200K buys you a nice, move-in ready house in most cities and towns in Iowa (in Des Moines suburbs and Iowa City, a nice house is more like $250K). You can find plenty of houses cheaper than $175K, but they usually need some work or have something that is negatively impacting the price (such as a 1 car garage instead of 2 car, or 1 bathroom instead of 2, or condo instead of a single-family house).

Old 09-22-2018, 06:09 AM

23 posts, read 46,636 times
I would say if you're 22 and want to try it, you only live once so do it! That said don't assume you will leave everything you didn't like behind. It's not a large city but you will occasionally see marches down the street or protests at Washington Park. The city has a decent amount of things to do and if you get bored there are lots of places to go within three hours to do something else. I would advise if at all possible to live and work on the same side of the river as there are only two bridges and they do close from time to time due to accidents or construction.

For the job hunt, try Indeed or Access Dubuque. Craigslist here does not have a lot of traffic on the job postings, so you may not have much luck there. However, if you are looking for a place to rent I would try Craigslist or Access Dubuque.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:13 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,302,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Iowa is not as conservative as you think, especially the eastern part of the state where most of the major population centers lean Democratic. If you're wanting conservative, you'd be better off looking at the western part of the state...places like Sioux City or Fort Dodge. Beware though--the "red" parts of the state are also the areas in decline...mostly tied to agriculture and unwilling to diversify their economies. I grew up in the western part of the state and there is little opportunity for young people to stick around in some of the smaller towns and rural areas. They usually wind up in Des Moines, Omaha, or other cities...or just leave altogether. Sioux City is the largest city in Western Iowa (excluding the Omaha/CB metro) and its population has been stagnant for decades.

Dubuque is actually becoming a pretty hip city, so you may not like it if you don't like hipsters. It's one of the most unique and scenic cities in Iowa and is starting to attract more tourism. There is a lot of new development in the old Millwork District--several new breweries and restaurants have opened recently. Dubuque has historically not been as progressive as other nearby cities like Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, but I've noticed that has been changing in the last several years.

Unemployment is extremely low here, among the lowest in the nation (around 2.5%). Therefore, if you are coming without a job lined up you may have some difficulty finding one right away if you are looking for a specific field of work.

Cost of living is very cheap. Des Moines is the most expensive metro, but it is still relatively cheap compared to other cities within a 3-4 hour radius (Minneapolis, Madison, St Louis). Iowa City is also a more expensive metro due to it being a college town. $175-200K buys you a nice, move-in ready house in most cities and towns in Iowa (in Des Moines suburbs and Iowa City, a nice house is more like $250K). You can find plenty of houses cheaper than $175K, but they usually need some work or have something that is negatively impacting the price (such as a 1 car garage instead of 2 car, or 1 bathroom instead of 2, or condo instead of a single-family house).

This. Western Iowa is also the home of wacko Steve King. If Nebraska annexed the western 1/4 of Iowa, the rest of the state would say "good riddance". The only part that's growing is where the Dutch Reformed church reigns supreme (Orange City, Sioux Center, etc). And if you don't have ties to that area, then expect the cold shoulder treatment.

Eastern Iowa (Dubuque included) as a rule either is moderate or leans left (not California-left). Dubuque is somewhat isolated (it's about an hour away from the nearest interstate and next larger city), but is easily the most scenic city in the state (geography-wise at least). It's on the southwestern edge of the Driftless area, meaning that the terrain is considerably more rugged (and almost montane in some areas) and overlooks the Mississippi River. It's also home to the only aquarium in the state.

All I can say is, research the area and see if it checks off most of the criteria on your list. If you're looking hard enough, there's something for everyone in Iowa, even if it's not readily apparent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or