U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 01:58 AM

9 posts, read 3,856 times

Advertisements

I am considering a small town (cheap) summer home in Iowa.

Sorry, it is a long intro!

I am originally from Minnesota. I have a house in the suburbs of the Twin Cities in a highly rated area.

But currently we are living overseas (family of four). In fact, I have spent most of my adult life outside of the USA. I did move back 4 years ago so my kids could get to know the USA and the relatives. We got sick of the USA and bolted a year or so ago.

When we moved to the USA, we started in Arizona - where I had been flipping properties (via the Internet from overseas). So I purchased a property in Goodyear, AZ next to the best elementary school in the state for us to stay in (super cheap then). Well, it didn't take long to figure out AZ schools are not so great.

So off to the Twin Cities we went. We had a small summer home there we used for a few summers when we visited family from overseas (houses were super cheap after the crash!). Anyway, my first child enrolled in one of the best school districts and we purchased a cheap home in the district. I was quickly reminded what the winters were like so we headed to San Diego for a few years (summers in Twin Cities). Loved San Diego.

Anyway, we want to sell our house in the Twin Cities. The price has almost tripled and we doubt we will spend any significant time there - and we still have that small 'summer home' we own we could stay in if we need to be in the Twin Cities. BUT we have a bunch of "stuff."

So our plan was to buy a cheap house in rural Minnesota and put our stuff in it. Also, we want a rural place for the summers so my kids can experience rural American life a bit.

So I started looking at cheap rural houses online. I actually haven't seen any of the houses as I am overseas. But I noticed that once over the border in Iowa prices were significantly lower. Hmmm....

So I am comparing rural Minnesota vs rural Iowa - for a summer only home.

So schools do not matter. Income taxes do not matter.

Any thoughts?

Again, we will buy an older cheaper home in a smaller town. Put our stuff in it. Bring our boat. In the summer we will fly back to the USA and will hang out and do some fishing or whatnot. Our needs are pretty simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 08:01 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,819,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalVagabond View Post
I am considering a small town (cheap) summer home in Iowa.

Sorry, it is a long intro!

I am originally from Minnesota. I have a house in the suburbs of the Twin Cities in a highly rated area.

But currently we are living overseas (family of four). In fact, I have spent most of my adult life outside of the USA. I did move back 4 years ago so my kids could get to know the USA and the relatives. We got sick of the USA and bolted a year or so ago.

When we moved to the USA, we started in Arizona - where I had been flipping properties (via the Internet from overseas). So I purchased a property in Goodyear, AZ next to the best elementary school in the state for us to stay in (super cheap then). Well, it didn't take long to figure out AZ schools are not so great.

So off to the Twin Cities we went. We had a small summer home there we used for a few summers when we visited family from overseas (houses were super cheap after the crash!). Anyway, my first child enrolled in one of the best school districts and we purchased a cheap home in the district. I was quickly reminded what the winters were like so we headed to San Diego for a few years (summers in Twin Cities). Loved San Diego.

Anyway, we want to sell our house in the Twin Cities. The price has almost tripled and we doubt we will spend any significant time there - and we still have that small 'summer home' we own we could stay in if we need to be in the Twin Cities. BUT we have a bunch of "stuff."

So our plan was to buy a cheap house in rural Minnesota and put our stuff in it. Also, we want a rural place for the summers so my kids can experience rural American life a bit.

So I started looking at cheap rural houses online. I actually haven't seen any of the houses as I am overseas. But I noticed that once over the border in Iowa prices were significantly lower. Hmmm....

So I am comparing rural Minnesota vs rural Iowa - for a summer only home.

So schools do not matter. Income taxes do not matter.

Any thoughts?

Again, we will buy an older cheaper home in a smaller town. Put our stuff in it. Bring our boat. In the summer we will fly back to the USA and will hang out and do some fishing or whatnot. Our needs are pretty simple.
Simple answer based on your requirements. Look for property in the vicinity of the Iowa Great Lakes. More specifically Spirit Lake, Milford, Spencer, Estherville or further out depending on how far of a commute you want each time you wish to enjoy the lakes.

Housing close to the lakes will be quite expensive and will drop off dramatically the farther out you go.

You would also be within an easy driving distance should you wish to visit the Twin Cities.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:20 PM

9 posts, read 3,856 times

Old 04-18-2019, 09:34 PM

582 posts, read 188,820 times
Look for something in the Driftless Area along the Mississippi. Prettier than Okoboji and cheaper too. Lansing, Harper's Ferry, McGregor, Guttenberg, etc.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:15 PM

9,215 posts, read 17,169,146 times
Just don't buy anything near me. Anyone who wants to spend summers in Iowa has to be on drugs, I don't want any crackheads in my neighborhood.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:21 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,516,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Look for something in the Driftless Area along the Mississippi. Prettier than Okoboji and cheaper too. Lansing, Harper's Ferry, McGregor, Guttenberg, etc.
Decorah area is nice too.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:30 PM

450 posts, read 1,996,661 times
I've lived most of my adult life in both Iowa and Minnesota. Something that factors heavily into the difference in the market values of homes between these two states is property tax. In Iowa, you will be paying easily double the amount of property tax on a home (which forces the market price of Iowa houses down).

Old 04-20-2019, 06:14 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,241,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
I've lived most of my adult life in both Iowa and Minnesota. Something that factors heavily into the difference in the market values of homes between these two states is property tax. In Iowa, you will be paying easily double the amount of property tax on a home (which forces the market price of Iowa houses down).
I always thought Minnesota had higher property taxes than Iowa.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:45 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,819,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I always thought Minnesota had higher property taxes than Iowa.
I think in both states it depends on where you're at. My son's property taxes in western Iowa are very reasonable while I know around Des Moines they're really high.

In SD where we don't have an income tax people from other states try to point at our property taxes as being higher. What I've seen from the towns just across the border from Sioux Falls to Minnesota (15 miles away) and Iowa (also 15 miles away) there's very little difference.

I never hear of people moving from Minnesota to Iowa or the other way around because the property taxes are so much higher in one over the other. Then again, I'm comparing rural small towns. In the bigger cities it could be a different story.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 PM

582 posts, read 188,820 times
Farmland in MN is taxed almost double what it is in Iowa. Can't speak to homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or